• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Ladybird & Bumble Bee of the year (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Too busy for any birding trips this weekend, but have spent most of today in the sunshine gardening. Plenty of signs of spring around. Saw my first Ladybirds of the year sunning themselves on the hedgerows. As usual it’s the 7 Spot Ladybird that is first to emerge. Also had a couple of Bumble Bees come to visit, hopefully I will get a couple of nests again this year.

My 8’ x 8’ pond has had a lot of frogs in it for some time, and at last is starting to fill up with spawn.

Hi Paul,

I saw my first Bumble bee last week, I think it was Monday. Have seen several today thanks to the Sunshine.

The first frogspawn for my local area was seen on 28th Feb in the pond near petty's brook, It's been joined by tons more now and in several other wild ponds, lots of frog activity in the moats on the watermeadow too.

Sorry Paul, I don't know what a Ldybird is. When you say 7 spot, it sounds like our Ladybugs. The different species have different types of black spots on their orange wings:gh:

Hi LuBird, Yes us Brits call Ladybugs, Ladybirds. Interestingly I have a book on British insects from 1872 where the name Lady-cow is given as an alternative name.

Paul

Thanks for my enlightment Paul. Well, Brit or not, I am going to call them Ladybirds from now on. They seem to be so much more than just a Bug;))) In America they are considered Good Luck.

I saw a bumble bee, a butterfly and a bat....on a nice and warm day in February. I thought it was rather early for them to be about. Now with this cold weather again.........they must have gone back into hibernation state.
Did see several bumble bees today though.

Hi, was out at Strumpshaw reserve today in the sunshine ( cold wind though ) and saw a few ladybirds, bees and a butterfly - the name of it was written in the main hide but escapes me now. Also small white flowers on hedgerow bushes - sorry no idea what they're called but definitely says 'springtime'

Brimstone?

At Kessingland today Bumble Bee & seven spot ladybird was seen
very warm today with sunny blue skies.

CJ

With the wonderful sunshine this weekend things are starting to buzz in the insect world. Lots of Bee and Ladybird activity, and had 2 Butterflies in the garden. I think the 1st was a Small Tortoiseshell and the 2nd a Small White, however I was in the kitchen at the time preparing Sunday lunch so I could not do a positive ID on either

Just for the record. I saw my first bumble bee 2 days ago.

And my other half yesterday saw a green cabage white buttlerfly.

-Report from South Gloucestershire boarder with Wiltshire.

Where oh where are the Pennsylvania bumble bees and Ladybirds:((((( It was 60degreesF here yesterday and will be the sme today. We are in a flood watch till Tuesday evening. Sometimes it is no fun to live between 2 Rivers:(

Loads of bumblebees locally today, and very small mosquito-type thingy fossicking round my computer screen as I type.

Tony

Definitely - my screen saver is 3d Pipes - which occasionally draws a teapot at the bends in the pipes !!!!! I kid you not - load it up, use 'mixed' as the type of joint and watch carefully ...

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back