• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February 1/2 term week in the Gambia (1 Viewer)

mollymawk

I am taking my family for a third trip to the Gambia 12-19 February staying at the Kairaba Hotel for the 2nd time.

In previous trips, I've not been terribly ambitious in terms of distance travelled from the hotel and have been content to poke about within about a 15Km radius. I've two galleries of photos from previous trips- click on the link below.

This time, I have a list of wants. Its not practical to go as far a Georgetown or Basse in a week's trip but I am keen to travel up river for while and try out some new habitat. As the proud (but careful) owner of a new 500mm lens, I'm keen to give it a good outing too.

I am particularly keen to see Red-throated and Carmine Bee-eaters but realise this might be difficult particularly in this part of the dry. But any 'gen would be appreciated. Another want is Ground Hornbill which I missed from my trip to Senegal in 1993.

My questions are:

1: Are any of these practicable in a (long) day's trip from the coast?
2: What sites are worth doing on such a trip?
3: Is anyone else going out that week who is like minded and would like some company (given that at best my 11 year old son might be up for it, but certainly not my wife or 16 year old daughter) for one or more trips?

With thanks for your interest.

I don't think Carmine Bee-eater is likely to be encountered west of Wassu in CRD, which is out of the question for a day trip.

Ground Hornbill can be found much further west, although I missed them. Have you considered an overnight at Tendaba? That would considerably lengthen your list from the birds found on the coast.

Graham

Thanks, Graham.

I've tended to use Modu (or Modou) who is 'based' in the Senegambia Hotel as a guide. Does anyone know whether he would be able to arrange a trip to Tendaba?

Thanks. Ive dropped him an e-mail.

I don't think Modou can access internet if he's away guiding, so it may be worth texting also.

Unfortunately, much as I'd love to be in Gambia again, I can't join you. have a great trip and say hi to Modou from Graham and Val.

Graham

definitely get a guide I always use this Guy www.gambia-birdwatching-tour.com Ebrima Barry young guy but pretty mustard, (mention Alan & Lonija from the Bijilo Hotel) younger bro of YaYa Barry (of one of the 2 or 3 families) he can do 1/2 days/full days/O'nites to 7-10 day tours. £30.00'ish. send him a mail of target species and he will prob. sort you out. faraba banta bush park for ground hornbill? tujereng, kotu bridge, abuko forest all close and 1/2 dayer's-keeps the pool posy happy. an overnite to Tendaba camp away from the tourist coast is the way foward, a memorable experience. if your into raptors Kampati 'raptor bridge' is a must

wish I was going

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back