• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fanel - info wanted (1 Viewer)

nickderry

C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.
It seems that I'll be off work for a week this Summer and rather than sit at home doing nothing, I've realised that the reserve of Fanel is only 2 hours away and my car has the Vignette for the motorways that she got from a trip to Geneva airport. Does anybody have any information on what the birding is like at the beginning of August, also information on cheap places to stay and reserve access (I would like to spend a few days there to do plenty of sketching).

thanks in advance

I have never been there.
This I found
http://www.biofotoquiz.ch/biofotoquiz/species/list.php?langCode=F

In Switzerland I use "Vögel beobachten in der Schweiz" from Marco Sacchi, Jaques Laesser, Matthias Ritschard, Peter Rüegg.
Maybe this book exists also in french language ?
Check the author on french book search engine.

already found
Où voir les Oiseaux en Suisse, tous les lieux de l'Ornithologie
ISBN : 2-603-01082-4. Delachaux & Niestlé, Lausanne.

In the german book there are favorite birds in spring, summer, autumn and winter.
How to reach which public transport and also accomodation recommandation.

For Fanel there is written e.g. autumn
Honey Bussard, Night Heron, Purpur Heron
Hen Harrier, Western Marsh Harrire
Oyster Catcher, Turnstone
different Gulls and terns

accomodation e.g.
Auberge de la Sauge
[email protected]
also Fanelhaus especially for groups
members of Nos Oiseaux can use simple accomodation at Neuenburger Turm

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

A good start is this article: Fanel - Chablais de Cudrefin

Beginning of August can be good at Fanel as early migrants are already on the move. The reserve is always open and you can walk in on different paths. The nature centre is open from Tuesday to Sunday. It has two hides, one for Kingfisher, the other one for waders. There are usually not many birds around but the ones who are there are really close.
Not to miss is the dam from Auberge La Sauge (parking) to the lake. Follow the path along the river until you reach the dam. There are sandbanks to your left (good for waders, gulls and ducks) and you can see the two islands to the right, altough a bit far away and usually full of breeding cormorants and yellow-legged gulls. This might be a good place for sketching.
On the other side of the river (parking on the other side of the bridge at La Sauge) another path follows the river to a viewing point. It gives you an overview over the reedbeds and the two islands. Purple Heron and Bearded Tit are two species likely to be encountered here.

The area around Fanel is worth visiting too. The fields are good for migrants (might be a bit early then), see here: Grosses Moos.

Accomodation:
La Sauge is nice but not cheap. A single room is about 100 Swiss Francs (including breakfast). The Fanelhaus charges you only 20 Swiss Francs but you have to cook for yourself and clean the place afterwards. You will need a written permission by the owner (Berner Ala) and you have to collect the key at the nearby prison;). However, I'm not sure if everyone in this chain speaks English...
An alternative can be the Hotel Bären in Ins (just 8 minutes with the car from La Sauge) or the Hotel Kreuz in Ins (see here: Ins) or a camping ground. There are two campings in Cudrefin and some around the northern end of the Lake (however, two of them prefer people without bins and without clothes;)).

Well, I hope this helps,

André

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back