• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi Dan, staying in falmouth down the beach from pendennis where abouts do you bird in the area, red breasted merganser would be a nice year tick if its still about!

There's been a RBM regularly just off the pier between Flushing and Trefusis point (just down from where the road turns into footpath). It was there about a week ago when I was there last.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River this afternoon (as viewed from mine) -

Mute Swan 5
Little Egret 3
Teal 4
Mallard 3m
Redshank 1
Greenshank 1

Falmouth Beach - Swanpool - Swanvale

6 x turnstone
Great Crested Grebe
Dunnock
Mallard
Mute Swan
Coot
Moorhen
4 x Tufted duck
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Wren
Long tailed tit
Woodpigeon
Chaffinch
Canada Goose
Chiffchaff x 2
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Pied Wagtail
Little Egret

Not bad! When was that? ... maybe it's been hiding there ever since? ;)

Ring-necked Duck reported from Stithians today ... (no precise details)

looking at my records it was on the 26th of Feb. I reckon it was the long-staying drake from last year.

Devoran Creek at high tide (and it was pretty high) this afternoon -

Mute Swan 12
Shelduck 16
Teal 6
Mallard 3
Curlew 16
Redshank 40+
Greenshank 7
Black-tailed Godwit 5 (1 sum plum)
Barwit 2
Oystercatcher 5
Ringed Plover 8
BH Gull 60+

4 Sandwich Tern at Gorrangorras at 6pm, with Swallows pretty much everywhere eg 3 over road at Carnon Downs, 5 at Healey's Cider farm, Callestick, dozens at Perranporth, 2 over McDonalds etc

Edit: 5 Little Egret and 5 Mute Swan at Gorrangorras just now from the bedroom window, but it's a bit too misty to make out any waders, if indeed there any there ...

Last edited:
My report of RND yesterday. On pool north of Stithians main reservoir, with Tufted Ducks. It's a cracking male! Couldn't find any Hoopoes, too cold wet and windy.

You know what, I'm vaguely remembering now.

On the beach? Getting there before the dog walkers is the way to go I presume ...

yep they were right on the edge of gyllangvase beach where the coast path heads up to the tops heading to swanpool. saw them running about on the tideline just below me.

My report of RND yesterday. On pool north of Stithians main reservoir, with Tufted Ducks.

Nice one! Wonder just how many Hoopoes there could be scattered about, or maybe most are likely to get picked up?

Osprey reported yesterday from Restronguet Creek, ironically just around the corner from where I was - might even have been in view at times. Oh well.

Last edited:
Pendennis Point mid-morning today -

2 Wheatear, m and f, on the rocks at the point - probably would have liked to be a bit higher up on the grass, but a fair few people about.

Swanpool - 6 Willow Warbler singing from the sallows on the west side, with 4 Chiffchaff, also singing and 1 male Blackcap seen. 4 Fulmar on the cliffs.

Pendennis Point mid-morning today -

2 Wheatear, m and f, on the rocks at the point - probably would have liked to be a bit higher up on the grass, but a fair few people about.

grrrr no Wheatears when I ate my pasty there on Tuesday! But then it was lunchtime and lots of picnickers/fishermen/doggy brigade....

My report of RND yesterday. On pool north of Stithians main reservoir, with Tufted Ducks.

Hi Jon,
I don't suppose you checked the southern causeway at Carnmenellis as well, while you were there? RBA reported a drake RND from there yesterday. I'm assuming they are one and the same but it would nice to have confirmation that you looked in the area and didn't see one.

Dave

Hi Jon,
I don't suppose you checked the southern causeway at Carnmenellis as well, while you were there? RBA reported a drake RND from there yesterday. I'm assuming they are one and the same but it would nice to have confirmation that you looked in the area and didn't see one.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I did indeed and saw only 2 Wigeon, 4 Great Crested Grebe + a few Teal. Far too cold so I went home.....

I have a feeling it may be my report, I just texted Mush saying RND Stithians.. sorry of this caused a problem to anyone.

(Great Crested Grebe still at Swanpool this morning ... )

Gorrangorras, Penryn river this evening (c.8pm) -

Snipe 3
Greenshank 3
Mallard 3
Mute Swan 6
Cormorant 1

Scoped a couple of small waders from the bedroom window as the tide was falling, but apart from the fact that they were small, nondescript and active, couldn't put a name to them in the fading light, so had to drive down there (that's dedication for you) - Snipe of course, feeding on the receeding shoreline.

re Ring-necked Duck - ducks do fly and it's not inconceivable that someone else saw it from the Southern Causeway ... who knows?

stithians reservoir and outer area

had look up stithians earlier
golden lion bay
2 little grebe 2 coot
stuart hutchings hide
4 Canada geese
2 great black back gull
2 lesser black back gulls
2 great tits
2 wigeon
1 buzzard 3 mallards
3 great crested grebes
carnmenellis bank
26 Canada geese in field 1 Greylag with them
4 goldfinches
3 dunnocks 5 chaffinch
2 whitethroats reported by another birder
2 chiffchaffs

then went looking for the ringneck it was on the private pond with 6 tufties another one to the list

then went looking for the ringneck it was on the private pond with 6 tufties another one to the list

Cool. :t:

Did College Res myself this morning in the rain -

Canada Goose 6
Mute Swan 2
Teal 2
Moorhen 10+
Coot 1
Herring Gull c.20
LBBGull 2

Mistle Thrush, Willow W, Chiff and Blackcap, Bullfinch etc

Didn't have time to go around Argal Res as had to be in town, but then took the opportunity to check that end out briefly. Nothing out of the ordinary, except Swanpool beach, with 8 Mute Swan and 2 Razorbill just offshore!

6 or so Gannet in Falmouth Bay, 9 Fulmar (3 pairs) on Swanpool cliffs, GCG still and Willow Warbler(s) at Swanpool and Pendennis. Another 2 Mutes on Swanpool, 4 Tufties, 22+ Coot and 10+ Mallard. 4 Little Egret and 1 Oystercatcher at Gorrangorras.

had look up stithians earlier
golden lion bay
2 little grebe 2 coot
stuart hutchings hide
4 Canada geese
2 great black back gull
2 lesser black back gulls
2 great tits
2 wigeon
1 buzzard 3 mallards
3 great crested grebes
carnmenellis bank
26 Canada geese in field 1 Greylag with them
4 goldfinches
3 dunnocks 5 chaffinch
2 whitethroats reported by another birder
2 chiffchaffs

Where were the Whitethroats seen?

I've pounded that place relentlessly for the last week nest recording. No sign of Whitethroat there for me yet. Early for them usually around the 20th April with Sedge Warbler. No Swallows there yet either.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back