• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon... Hobby? Eleonora? Other? Turkey, September (1 Viewer)

xaviertaylor

Dear all - your thoughts please on these terrible photos... taken in Turkey in September! Initially I had this down as a Hobby but looking back at these photos I feel like I've got the ID wrong - Would appreciate some guidance!
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3933.JPG
    IMG_3933.JPG
    728.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3910.JPG
    IMG_3910.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3912.JPG
    IMG_3912.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3913.JPG
    IMG_3913.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 142
Couldn't be an Eastern Red-foot could it? Beyond my experience to be honest, but it sort of fits the search engine I have in my head for the species in the event I'm ever insanely lucky enough to come across one.

I blew up the photos just for my own education, and I post them here just in case it helps others.

To me, from the books, it looks good for Red-footed juvenile, much better than the other suggestions. But I've never seen Eleonara and only adult Red-footed and Hobby, so this opinion is basically book-based, and not any strong claim to the ID.

BF Falcon 01.jpgBF Falcon 02.jpg

Would juvenile plumage of a bird breeding this far north be expected at this time of the year?
Niels

Would juvenile plumage of a bird breeding this far north be expected at this time of the year?
Niels
Hi Niels:

I thought (from looking at Birds of the World online) that this plumage would be correct for a 1cy bird, and the location - in September - just right for an early stage of the migration to southern Africa?

I would assume it's just (western) Red-footed, and not Amur (eastern Red-footed) Falcon - doesn't the pale brownish cap rather than a darker cap suggest a juvenile of the former, not the latter.

Sorry, pulled the trigger too early on my reply. I thought the image was recent.
Niels

Head markings and shape in flight would make me think Red-footed falcon. I think you can rule out Hobby. Markings not right for Eleanora's IMO.
Correct! And Amur would show much more contrat below (b&w instead of buff on cream), much darker upperside and more contrast on head

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back