• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

evf vs Optical (3 Viewers)

andy271

United Kingdom
a question do you prefer optical or evf viewfinder i find with my z7 after a couple of hours my eyes get tired and i get headaches but when i use my big optical viewfinder on my 1dx i can go for hours without any strain maybe my arms will be tired but good excersise.
is no one worried about eye problems being so close to a organic light emitting diode oled screen so close to the eye

I prefer a optical viewfinder with diopter, no electronics involved. It works in strong light and I do not need my glasses (spectacles).

a question do you prefer optical or evf viewfinder i find with my z7 after a couple of hours my eyes get tired and i get headaches but when i use my big optical viewfinder on my 1dx i can go for hours without any strain maybe my arms will be tired but good excersise.
is no one worried about eye problems being so close to a organic light emitting diode oled screen so close to the eye
I have to admit that the length of time my eye is actually looking through the viewfinder is pretty small. But everyone's mileage may vary I guess.

Last edited:
I prefer a optical viewfinder with diopter, no electronics involved. It works in strong light and I do not need my glasses (spectacles).
Why would you need glasses for an EVF if you can use an optical viewfinder without them? They both have a dioptre adjustment, although I guess the range on some would vary.

Why would you need glasses for an EVF if you can use an optical viewfinder without them? They both have a dioptre adjustment, although I guess the range on some would vary.
You are right, one can understand from the post that an EVF cannot have diopter adjustment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back