• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eurasian or Far-Eastern? (1 Viewer)

Corotauria

Helpdesk, I've got a problem.
It concerns the curlew on the pictures below. In the field we almost certainly identified it as a Far-Eastern. But we are not sure (it can also be an Eurasian, because we saw them too at the same site). Can anyone agree, or maybe disagree. If so, I'm really curious to the motivation.

Thanx, anyway.

Rick

Attachments

• curlew1.JPG
    curlew1.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 142
  • curlew2.JPG
    curlew2.JPG
    342.6 KB · Views: 160
My initial reaction is Eurasian........
..............however it does look long billed (FE trait), but looks very white underneath (E trait), the clincher would be did you see it fly, as FE has a very definite brown/streaked underwing, whereas E has a white/pale underwing?

Well, unfortunately we didn't see the bird in flight, but our first reaction when we saw this bird: long-billed, actually to long-billed to be a Eurasian. I have to admit, I didn't know the orientalis Curlew...

Mhm, no other experts in the house???

Although some of the facts are pointing towards Eurasian, there are also pointing towards Far-Eastern. I'am still not sure which one this could be...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back