• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Estonia - May 2015 (1 Viewer)

foresttwitcher

Virtually unknown member
United Kingdom
I am thinking about my spring birding trip for next year and Estonia is a possibility. Is mid-May a good time? As well as general birding, my target species would be:

Hazel Hen
Lesser Spotted Eagle
Ural Owl
Tengmalm's Owl
Grey-headed Woodpecker
White-backed Woodpecker
Three-toed Woodpecker
Red-throated Pipit
River Warbler
Red-breasted Flycatcher

Thanks in anticipation for any help.

Hi Pete,

Any time to bird in Estonia is good :). Mid May is good for breeding passerines, who arrive around that time. River Warbler and Red-breasted Flycatcher on your list, but also Citrine Wagtail, Penduline Tit, Greenish Warbler, Blyth's Reed Warbler etc.

For woodpeckers first half of April would be better. In mid May they usually have chicks in the nest and become quite secretive. But we have a lot of woodpeckers so it is possible to find some still.

Hazel Grouse, LSE, Ural Owl all quite common. Tengmalm`s Owl is quite uncommon and can be very difficult to find. Red-throated Pipit passes through in small numbers in middle of May.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back