• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuadorian Birds (1 Viewer)

Foxy

Have just returned from a marvellous fortnight in the Ecuadorian Andes and Galapagos Islands, the first week definitely stretched some of my id skillls! Between my notebook and camera I managed to work out most things but left with 4 or 5 that I am struggling with, including the following 3 Hummingbirds:

The first was to the North of Quito and is structurally similar to Sparkling Violetear but differs in colour and the postocular white spot

Number 2 was further South in the Valley of the Devil's Nose Railway. It seems to have white primaries which I can't find on any bird of the region.

Number 3 was in the Cajas National Park. The white area doesn't seem to be enough for a Puffleg and I thought it could be a Viridian Metaltail?

I do have a couple more which I will post when I have sorted out a few more pictures.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Hummingbird, Condor Sanctuary.jpg
    Hummingbird, Condor Sanctuary.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Hummingbird, Devil's Nose railway.jpg
    Hummingbird, Devil's Nose railway.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Hummingbird, Cajas National Park.jpg
    Hummingbird, Cajas National Park.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Since posting I have been poring over the pictures, notes and Field Guide and I think that number 2 may be a Western Emerald with the wing reflecting the light to suggest it is paler than it actually is?

Any alternative suggestions or ideas on the other two still welcomed!

Neil

I was thinking that no 2 might be explained through partial albinism much like the white spots on some blackbirds you might be familiar with ...

Niels

Thanks Niels, yes, certainly possible, probable even as I don't know of an Ecuadorian hummer with white wings! Any views on the id's?

Last go at this one: anyone any suggestions on the id's of the 3 Hummingbirds? 2 and 3 could be Western Emerald and Viridian Metaltail but far from certain.

Thanks!

Cheers ptickner. I was beginning to think I was drawing a blank. Did you get the Ecuadorian Hillstar and Violet-throated Metaltail there? We were gutted that we missed the Toucans.

The first one is really odd: like a Sparkling Violetear bit with such odd head colours!

Can the yellow be simply a result of yellow pollen? In our local hummers, such yellow coloration can last for days once the bird is wearing it.

Niels

Possibly, I did think of that but it looks so complete on the throat and none on the forehead. Plus, of all the Violetears I saw, and there were lots, I didn't see any with the white spots before and after the eye so I am intrigued. However, given the structure and the blue on the face and belly I suspect it will be a Violetear after all.

Thank you for your comments, Niels

Can the yellow be simply a result of yellow pollen? In our local hummers, such yellow coloration can last for days once the bird is wearing it.

Niels

This is my initial thought....I have seen pollen all over hummers, on their heads, bodies etc..... That is my vote...

We had a pretty good day. Aside from the Viridian, we got the Violet-throated Metaltail, Ecuadorian Hillstar, and a Purple-backed Thornbill at a stop on the way back to Cuenca.

It was a pretty good day for hummers, but we missed the toucans as well!

You had a similar day to us from the sounds of it. We had a mixed time overall: didn't get Condor either, or many Tanagers but a good selection of hummingbirds and a few other treats too. We spent a week travelling down the spine of the Andes then a week on Galapagos. That was an experience!

Thanks Iman. The more I look at it the more it looks like an odd Violetear with pollen on the throat.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back