• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly macro photo site? (1 Viewer)

Forcreeks

If you want to see something new in nature!
United States
Say, could someone help me to re-find the URL of a fabulous photo web site of dragonfly closeups? It was referred to in one of our discussion forums and I can't find it now. It was by an American professor who'd perfected his own methods of shooting closeups of dragonflies, and he tells in depth his methods. I remember he uses flash, and sometimes reverses the direction of a 50mm lens to make it a closeup lens. I'm thinking his name like Plotney -nic -nisky or similar. Thanks.

I think that this is what you are looking for:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=150896

If that's it could you please return the favor? Toward the bottom of our dragonfly page one I posted "This landed on my boat". Since you are our resident pro I'm hoping that you can help me with the ID. I got "the book", but I can't figure out which Emerald I had on board.

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll click on the URL and see if that's it, and then look at your Emerald first chance. I saw the This landed on my boat but thought it was the fish in the picture you'd been telling about.. I missed the Emerald or maybe it wasn't up yet. -Steve
Yes, that was definitely the site. I forwarded it to our foremost Oregon Dragonfly man, I was telling about it on the Oregon DF Soc.'s annual outing last weekend.. lots of fun.

Last edited:
Hey Mark,
What a cool, cool photo your Uncle took! Boy I'd love to see one of those. I believe you have an Illinois River Cruiser, Macromia illinoiensis (sounds absurd: ill-anoy-ensis). Macromia's are very highly sought and regarded by Odonatists from my limited exposure of a couple yrs. We have a great one Macromia magnifica out here, Oregon and I've yet to see it. Take care.

Thanks Steve,

He/she hung around for hours. I tried to explain to my uncle that I usually have a difficult time finding and getting a good shot of any dragonfly, much less get close enough to take a hand held macro shot! I should have taken a picture, too, but fishing takes all of my attention when I'm on Lake Michigan.

Glad that I could find that link for you. That is a GREAT site! I hope that I have the time and money to get that good some day.

Mark

Wow, that's a fabulous site, one could spend hours at.. I expect I will, at a later time. Thanks so much for this teriffic reference.

Thanks Ladybird!

I can't wait to get back to work where I have enough Banwidth for all of those great shots! Very cool!:t:

Thanks Leslie!

I can start a new Favorites (bookmark) folder now! Dragonfly IDs online - just what I wanted!

Steve was right about that Illinois River Cruiser. That's a perfect match! Does the green eye indicate female? Anyone know?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back