• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID please (1 Viewer)

robinm

This is my first digiscoped dragonfly. I have no idea what it is and I do not have a good ID book (something I intend to put right).

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Attachments

• dragonfly.jpg
    dragonfly.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 249
Thanks CJW.

I must confess I am now slightly confused. I have since found the website of the British Dragonfly Society (http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/). The insect I have shot looks too red-bodied for Sympetrum striolatum - Common Darter and too pale around the head for Sympetrum sanguineum - Ruddy Darter. Any further help would be appreciated - I know how variable these things can be.

I know what you mean, I almost went for Red-veined but they don't have the yellow stripes on the thorax which is also quite red in itself.
I think the thorax stripes are diagnostic for striolatum - the species can be very red indeed (I have learnt quite a bit about these in recent months, thanks to BF!)

Thanks CJW and Colin j. Common darter it is. I too am learning about all sorts of stuff other than birds from this site.

I certainly think I need to improve my library when it comes to other wildlife - I already have umpteen bird books. Guess I'll have to put up some more book shelves!

Robin, I'm also learning from birdforum, birds, insects, butterflies, and all points of flora and fauna, I can still stand correcting on any subject, especially the ones I'm supposed to be recognised as expert at. You are never too old to learn!!! True, Nina.

Robin, I bought this book on a recommendation from Darrell Clegg. It is 'Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Great Britain & Ireland' by Steve Brooks & Richard Lewington. The ISBN number is 0-953-13990-5. It is a bit thin for a near £20 book but having read it, I say it is brilliant and easy to follow.

Thanks Andrew. I'll go and have a peek at one. I don't mind spending 20 quid if it's a good book. I definitely need to improve my insect ID. In this recent hot weather butterfly spotting has often been better thn birding.

Last edited:
Andrew said:
Robin, I bought this book on a recommendation from Darrell Clegg. It is 'Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Great Britain & Ireland' by Steve Brooks & Richard Lewington. The ISBN number is 0-953-13990-5. It is a bit thin for a near £20 book but having read it, I say it is brilliant and easy to follow.

I bought this book a few weeks ago and have to agree with Andrew's comments re the size/price ratio, but it is very good and includes all the dragonflies you are likely to see in this country.

You can always move on later to European species!

I bought this book a few weeks ago and have to agree with Andrew's comments re the size/price ratio, but it is very good and includes all the dragonflies you are likely to see in this country.

This is by far the best Dragonfly Fieldguide currently available, and probably the only one that fits in your pocket. It certainly helped us at Marazion on saturday when we found the Lesser Emperor. Richard Lewington's pictures are superb, his Butterfly guide is also worth a look.

Mark

M N Reeder said:
This is by far the best Dragonfly Fieldguide currently available, and probably the only one that fits in your pocket. It certainly helped us at Marazion on saturday when we found the Lesser Emperor. Richard Lewington's pictures are superb, his Butterfly guide is also worth a look.

Mark

Brooks and Lewington is superb but it's worth making sure you get the most recent edition which, I believe, includes the two most recent damselflies to appear in the UK. Small red-eyed damselflies are spreading fast and they are not that straight forward to differentiate from red-eyed!
In fact small red-eyed (viridulum) are the collared doves of the odo world!

I recently got Tolman and Lewington's butterfly book--the illustrations are stunning!!! (Check Amazon.co.fr as it's hard to get in the UK.)

Yes that's right. The version we had last week was the original. I picked up the new version from the bird fair on Friday for a bargain £16 from the British Wildlife stand they also had the Lewingtin Butterfly guide for £8.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back