• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID please uk (1 Viewer)

alandawn

Hi

Some help needed on these dragonflies Ids, small red first 2, common Hawker or southern hawker, other 2 no idea

Only just getting into dragonflies so I apologise for my lack of knowledge

seen today in Norfolk

Many thanks in advance

Alan

Attachments

• DSC_0023.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0023.NEF.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0025.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0025.NEF.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0041.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0041.NEF.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0063.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0063.NEF.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 51
I too am a novice, but found a dead dragonfly in my garden today so dug out my ID insight cards for the Dragonflies of Great Britain, which I would recommend - mine was a Golden-Ringed Dragonfly.

I think your's may be Common Darter male (red) and female (the yellow brown one), and I think Southern Hawker too.

I too am a novice, but found a dead dragonfly in my garden today so dug out my ID insight cards for the Dragonflies of Great Britain, which I would recommend - mine was a Golden-Ringed Dragonfly.

I think your's may be Common Darter male (red) and female (the yellow brown one), and I think Southern Hawker too.

I think 1,2, Common Darter 3, Southern Hawker, 4,5, Ruddy Darter.

I think Golden-ringed would be a damned good record for Essex, do you have any pics?

Phil

Not sure on my ID now, maybe as it is dead the colouring has gone a bit wonky on this one, but here's a picture - probably find out it's a Southern Hawker now?!

Attachments

• Dragon.jpg
    Dragon.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Dragon-2.jpg
    Dragon-2.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 26
  • Dragon-3.jpg
    Dragon-3.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 37
The dead one has very-broad stripes on the top of the thorax, which are a giveaway for southern hawker. You're right about the colours going wonky after they die.

We all start off as novices (in my case it was at the start of last summer). Dragonflies are a very rewarding group to get into because the commoner species are relatively easy to get the hang of. The key thing I did, at the end of last summer, was to invest in the Wildguides book - Britain's Dragonflies by Smallshire and Swash. It's got multiple photos of all the species, which is really helpful with things like common darter which are highly variable, plus lots of other info that's helpful with ID and tons of ecological info - it's the only ID book I possess which is actually a decent read if you just sit down and read it cover to cover. The book highlights the key differences between the species in a way that the ID cards don't really have room for.

Anyway, welcome to the fascinating world of dragonflies, both of you.

Many Thanks for all your quick responses, will have to see if I can get the book Swindon Addick, Its always good to get a book that is recommended

Glad I managed to ID my dead Dragonfly on second attempt :t:

Just out of interest, what are the main pointers that identified the Ruddy from Common on pictures 4 & 5 - I think the all black legs may be one, but are there any other obvious tips for the future for me and the OP please?

That book sounds like a good thing that I may have to look out for, thanks for the heads up on that title.

Just out of interest, what are the main pointers that identified the Ruddy from Common on pictures 4 & 5 - I think the all black legs may be one, but are there any other obvious tips for the future for me and the OP please?

There is the Dragonfly ID Pointers sticky thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=39267 in this forum.

What identified the dragonfly in pic 4 to me as (female) Ruddy Darter rather than Common Darter was
(1) Black legs (Common have stripes)
(2) Black down side of frons (only along top in Common)
(3) Dark T on thorax (but female Common Darter can show this)
(4) Plain top to thorax (but female Common Darters can loose their shoulder stripes)

However, after step 2 (1?) I would be eliminating Black Darter which has a dark triangle on top of the thorax, different pattern to the side of the thorax - black panel enclosing three yellow spots, and a lot more black along the side of the abdomen.

Which features are useful to you depend on the angle you can get to view the dragonfly - and they are usually awkward. The vulvar scale in a Common is much more obvious than that on a Ruddy but if you can only get views from above then it's a useless discriminator! Of course, if you're in a position to view the vulvar scale then there's a good chance you have good views of legs which are a much easier discriminator.

HTH, Paul

Attachments

• ruddy_common_female.jpg
    ruddy_common_female.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back