• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disinfecting Under Feeder (1 Viewer)

kilian

Hello, I am doing the annual spring clean up. Below the feeder are lots of seeds (I feed sunflower chips but also safflower). There is a malodorous layer of what I assume is mold and bacteria underneath. I scraped the layers away. I will place newspaper and mulch over them.

Is there anything I should also put down there to disinfect the area? I had heard someone sprinkling lime (I know there are different forms), but that seems like it might harm the birds. Like I said, I will place mulch over the area, but I am worried about the birds (or my kids, or me) getting sick. Ideas? What do you do to such an area in the spring? Thank you.

If you can just turn over the soil beneath the feeder and maybe reseed that patch, I think you will solve the problem. You don't have to do much, just a few inches deep will be enough. Soil bacteria are very powerful and will take care of any residues left from the surface.
Only quibble is that some shells, sunflower seed shells especially, exude plant growth inhibitors, so you'd want to rake those together and remove them before you turn over the soil.

What you need to do is clean more often. You might turn the soil or mulch. I put paving slabs down so that I can clean with a high pressure hose.

One recommendation is to move the feeders to a nearby location on a monthly basis - ie a different spot in the garden/yard to 'rest' the soil (and then back again the following month to rest that area).

There are disinfectants suitable for the job, but agree that letting the soil organisms do the job by mixing/turning the surface layer in should be sufficient?

One recommendation is to move the feeders to a nearby location on a monthly basis - ie a different spot in the garden/yard to 'rest' the soil (and then back again the following month to rest that area).

There are disinfectants suitable for the job, but agree that letting the soil organisms do the job by mixing/turning the surface layer in should be sufficient?

The problem with moving feeders is that the birds go in a huff - they don't like change. That's why, when I have found the location they like, I stick to one spot.

Disagree with Egret, I moved my bird feeders from the front garden to the back garden. The birds were all busy feeding on them within half an hour of being moved. I agree that regular movement of feeders is the best way to combat any nasty's that decide to "grow" beneath them.

Yes, the birds seem to be pretty flexible, as they would be for any 'natural' feeding source. Mentioned on a blog post a while back -

http://stithiansreservoirbirding.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/friday-13th-feb-lucky-moving-day.html

Maybe birds up north are more fussy (prob not ;) ), I guess the only problem could be if the feeders became situated in a position the birds really didn't like for other reasons - maybe not enough cover close enough by, or overshadowed by a building perhaps???

While I am very happy to know that there are birds that aren't fussy, my experience is different. Both, in Bristol, and here in Irvine my birds didn't like change. That's why we slabbed the feeder area for easy cleaning. Also have to say that I have hordes of Goldfinches and Siskins that will not, under any circumstances eat Niger. Maybe my birds take after me; I am well known as a fussy eater!

Simple solution, move the feeders and if the birds adapt, all is well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back