• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digsicoping over distance in Summer (1 Viewer)

Neil

From the hide in the new Wetlands Park here in Hong Kong most of the waders were over 100 meters away over water in dull overcast weather. My birding mate spotted a small group of 7 Asian Dowitchers that we wanted a record of. I got out the reliable Swarovski 45x eyepiece. Luckily the hides have been built with concrete floors as with school holidays there were families coming and going continuously.
The first photo shows the view from the hide taken at about 36 mm with the camera only. Point 1(drongo) is about 25 meters and points 2 (dowitchers ) and 3 (kingfishers) are about 120 meters. Neil
ps you can see a chinese pond heron on the first post at point 1

Nikon 8400,Fuji F31fd,Canon A640 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw45x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Hong Kong Wetlands Park,
Hong Kong,
China
August 2007
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/

Attachments

• wetlands park.mudflat hide2 IMG_4016.jpg
    wetlands park.mudflat hide2 IMG_4016.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 154
  • drongo DSCF5744.jpg
    drongo DSCF5744.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165
  • asian dowitchers.wetlands park DSCN8585.jpg
    asian dowitchers.wetlands park DSCN8585.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 154
  • pied.wb kingfishers DSCF5636.jpg
    pied.wb kingfishers DSCF5636.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 169
Quite impressive, especially for the distance! I can relate as I had to resort to some 300-500 m shots this weekend and it is extremely challenging. A great learning experience, though.

Very nice depth of field on all of these, any idea as to what you were set at? Love how steady you were I wish I could get the shake out.

RT

RT,
The dowitchers were at 9.3 mm on the 8400 (45 x 37 = 1665 mm )
The drongo was at 16mm (45 x 60 =2700 mm ) and the kingfishers were at 24 mm on the F31fd and I used iso 400 (45 x 100 = 4500 mm ).
I didn't mention that I have just bought a large Benro aluminium tripod which is as solid as a rock and gives better support to my ballhead. I used a remote or self-timer and bracketted focus. Neil.

Someone needs to construct a photographic hide at the edge of the mud! Are the waders as distant as that at Mai Po?

Clive,
You're right. The main scape at Mai Po is 660 x 220 metres and the hides are at either end and along the SW side. There is a new hide being constructed now out in Deep Bay (there are two existing hides out there but with rising silt levels the birds are rarely anywhere near them ) which will be much closer but involve a 1 km walk over a floating boardwalk through mangroves. It should be finished this October and I'm looking forward to it altough I'll have to dump some kit as it's a 6 km round trip to the reception/carpark. Neil.
ps the above photos were taken at the new Wetlands Park which is near Mai Po.

Thanks for the info Neil, I'd like to come and have a go at the Mai Po waders one day but I've not sure if they are actually close enough (plus I don't have the time and money). I'm a DSLR man though so I'm in the wrong forum really.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back