• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deceased chickadee in Nestbox (warning:photo) (1 Viewer)

Meredithpc

United States
I peeked inside my nesting box to check if there was any activity yet this Spring, and found a dead fully feathered though quite small chickadee and four chickadee eggs. I’m assuming this may be the mom or dad chickadee. Can anyone give any ideas what might have happened and how I can prevent this from happening in the future? What should I do now with the nest and eggs? Much appreciated. I’m heartbroken. IMG_7778.jpeg

Welcome to Birdforum.

It's difficult to say why the adult bird died.

For future reference - one should never look inside a nest box during nesting season as such disturbance could cause the birds to abandon the nest.

Welcome to Birdforum.

It's difficult to say why the adult bird died.

For future reference - one should never look inside a nest box during nesting season as such disturbance could cause the birds to abandon the nest.
Thank you for that. Do you have any advice for what I should do with the nest & eggs? Would the other half of the chickadee pair possibly return to tend to the eggs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back