• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus - suggested sites in August (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

Hi All,

I'm due to visit the Polis area on the north-west coast of Cyprus in August.

I guess this isn't the best time to visit due to the mid summer heat, but I'd be grateful for any tips and suggestions of worthwhile local sites to visit, together with any "must see" sites within a few hours drive of this area.

Many thanks in advance.
Kevin

Hi Kevin

You're right, not the best time of the year to visit unfortunately! Best areas to try and see something are in the mountain regions, well within a couple of hours driving distance from Polis. But like all birdwatching it can be hit or miss. To quote you can see "Pallid Swifts, Crossbills, Jay, Masked Shrike" and endemic species such as "Cyprus Wheatear, Short-toed Treecreeper, Coal Tit and Scops Owl" if you are luckly!

Best of luck

Shane

When exactly in August will you be here? The second half of August, and especially the last week, are actually fairly decent for birding...

When exactly in August will you be here? The second half of August, and especially the last week, are actually fairly decent for birding...

15th August for 2 weeks. Looks like I may get to see a few good birds after all?

I've read Demoiselle Cranes can frequent Akrotiri lake around this time?

Last edited:
15th August for 2 weeks. Looks like I may get to see a few good birds after all?

I've read Demoiselle Cranes can frequent Akrotiri lake around this time?

Yes, the first week that you'll be here might not be exciting, but the second week might be. Indeed there is a decent chance to see the Demoiselle's then. You'll also catch the starting phase of raptor migration, which although it won't peak until the 10-15 of September (probably), you still might see Honey Buzzards, Red-footed Falcons and Black Kites, I think.

And in general there are a lot of other rare early migrants that you might see. You never know - you just gotta get out there and take your chances.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

If you can suggest any specific sites in addition to Akrotiri lake I'd be very grateful.
Thanks.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

If you can suggest any specific sites in addition to Akrotiri lake I'd be very grateful.
Thanks.

Gosney's book gives details and maps of several areas in the north-west. At £7.50 there's no reason not to buy it.

Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back