• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current fuss in North America about eponymous English bird names (1 Viewer)

Also apparently they are still looking for common name suggestions for the tentatively-named "Medium Egret". Any ideas?

There are four global checklists because different groups of people become dissatisfied over existing checklists, and create new ones, each having a somewhat different goal. Birdlife is more concerned about conservation implications of taxonomy, IOC was initially formed to create s a single set of universal common names, Clements shifted over time to be the official checklist of Ebird, and Howard and Moore are more focused on the science side of things. Because many species have multiple names, or because different lists have had to create NEW names for new splits, different lists have adopted different names. The WGAC is trying to create a new list that will reconcile at least three of these lists, although Howard and Moore will continue to do there thing so to speak

There is far far less concern over these things among other groups of organisms, because the checklist stuff is left to science for the most part to concern itself with. It doesn't have a huge body of amateur naturalists arguing with each other over what common names should be used, nor a giant market of field guides to incorporate all of these things. That birders exist is what in part fuels the obsession with common names and almost certainly the demand for new global taxonomies. If the American Society of Mammalogy or the SSAR (which manages Herp lists for the USA/Canada) were to announce this sort of change, I doubt it would make the news in the same manner

Obsession over a unified single set of common names is honestly what landed us in this predicament. If there hadn't been the move to standardize this information to the extent bird folks have, getting rid of patronyms would never have been a big deal. The AOS could simply adopt a new set of names and folks could choose what ones they want to use.
Linnaeus solved all your problems in 1758. Just use those scientific names and stop bothering me with your American problems, that will only get worse when Spanish goes foreward in ypur country. And think about your grandchildren that want to read about the birds of old times and don't know what bird they are reading about. Stability is important and a name of an animal in any language is just a name, nothing more, nothing less.

So I suggest to stop this thread and discuss birds, and on thid subforum rhe etology of birdnames.

Fred

Linnaeus solved all your problems in 1758. Just use those scientific names and stop bothering me with your American problems, that will only get worse when Spanish goes foreward in ypur country. And think about your grandchildren that want to read about the birds of old times and don't know what bird they are reading about. Stability is important and a name of an animal in any language is just a name, nothing more, nothing less.

So I suggest to stop this thread and discuss birds, and on thid subforum rhe etology of birdnames.

Fred
Have you considered...you know...not clicking on a thread you are not interested in?

Fred
You have raised this point before. You say this subforum is about the meaning of bird names, and this proposal is all about the meaning of bird names. This discussion is valid on this subforum and nobody is bothering you, simply don't read it if you are not interested. Mind you, the fact that your solution is to 'just use those scientific names' suggests you don't understand the basics of the problem, so maybe you do need to read.

It's not just a few random activists - I found that one prominent voice for the change is David Sibley (whose books I presume many of you have on the shelf) - Log in to Facebook
Isn't funny/stupid that Sibley supports to remove patronyms from bird names, but retain it for his own book?
I have a small shelf of bird books, and his guide is the only one with a patronym (his own name) on the title.

Is that some form of God wit? The arguments wouldn't stop there ... ;-)

Actually iirc wasn't it in the bible that God told Adam to name all the creatures - so he did? I guess he just failed to allow for human nature/pettiness/killing the natives etc ...

A Cardinal sin ...

Are you inferring that having 4 checklists make a difference to the situation? How so? I imagine that it would make sense to just have 1 for other reasons ... if there were to remain 4 but one was completely different to the others that would seem fairly pointless to me ... or is it proposed that this becomes The One?

I (along with probably others), don't have a problem per se with some name changes as a compromise if shown to be quite offensive - some may also be rather pointless as already mentioned and there are better historical names out there for some.

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it, but do recall reading in this thread (or another one) some of the justifications for some of the names being inappropriate - are you aware of where that is located (along with a full list of the proposed changes?) ... cheers (bit late to the party)

Mysticete has already answered this question. What I meant is that birds are the only group where people feel the need for a global list with vernacular names, to such an extent they end up with four lists. Checklists for other groups of organisms list one or more common names if they have them, but don't create them or try and standardise them.

The link I gave is the list main recommendations page for the AOS changes. They haven't give a list of proposed changes, yet. They seem to be in the process of forming a committee to decide how to rename them.

AOS announcement: American Ornithological Society (AOS) Council Statement on English Bird Names
AOS recommendations: Ad Hoc English Bird Names Committee Recommendations for Council of the American Ornithological Society (AOS) (also as pdf)

About the Bird Names for Birds activists (in their own words): Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is that some form of God wit? The arguments wouldn't stop there ... ;-)

Actually iirc wasn't it in the bible that God told Adam to name all the creatures - so he did? I guess he just failed to allow for human nature/pettiness/killing the natives etc ...

A Cardinal sin ...
Apparently, animals could converse with people ... Eve with the "serpent" and later Balaam with his donkey. its a shame that Adam didn't ask the animals what their names were ... ;)

It's not just a few random activists - I found that one prominent voice for the change is David Sibley (whose books I presume many of you have on the shelf) - Log in to Facebook
He is a very talented illustrator whose art I admire greatly, and whose app I use frequently. Love his field guide to trees, it is unparalleled. He is as welcome to his opinion as we all are to our own. If there are to be third (? I've lost count) editions of his bird field guides to be released in 2025 (2026?) with updated names they should require little work.

Last edited:
He won't sell anymore to me the moment he implements the changes.

Interestingly, a few authors apply a fair bit of latitude when it comes to naming. If for some reason the change fell through at the last minute, what would stop someone like Sibley from using them in his books anyway - nothing, I suspect is the answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back