• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew or not (1 Viewer)

mijmoth1

Whilst on holiday in North Devon, at Fremington, I saw what I thought was three curlews. they were about the right size ( from about 50 plus yards). But I was surprised to see white wing bars (like oystercatchers), and white rumps when they moved. The rest of them semmed to be brownish.
Is this normal normal pattern for curlews! I do not recall haveing seened the white elements before? Any ideas!

Whilst on holiday in North Devon, at Fremington, I saw what I thought was three curlews. they were about the right size ( from about 50 plus yards). But I was surprised to see white wing bars (like oystercatchers), and white rumps when they moved. The rest of them semmed to be brownish.
Is this normal normal pattern for curlews! I do not recall haveing seened the white elements before? Any ideas!

Perhaps they were Black-Tailed Godwits? Or Redshank?

Curlews do have a white back, but no wing bars. I think Phil is right to suggest Black-tailed Godwits. Were the beaks straight or curved down?

N

Thank you.

They were not red shanks, There were red shanks about, and they seemed to large. Although they had longish beck, I am not certain which way they pointed. I think the suggestion they were godwits is the best answer, having looked up the references,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back