• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Croatian Birding Sites around Zadar (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

I have a few days in Croatia at the end of the month along the coastal strip in the Zadar area targeting Rock Partridge. Various recent eBird sightings for the target species but interested in either recommendations for that (as I have a history of failing to see it over the years) or more importantly, general birding - wetlands, woodlands, generally. Hopefully a few things for the photographic yearlist.

A bit early for migration really but one main prize.

Many thanks

Paul

Now back so in case anyone finds this thread on a Google search in the future, to help those people....

Nearest Zadar, Lake Vransko (43.932903, 15.512441) looked good. We only had an hour one evening to visit there but Pygmy Cormorant was easy. If weather had been better, there is a pair of Eagle Owls nearby that can be found in eBird but we did not try for them.

We stayed in Posedarje to access the peninsula to the north. Veliko Blato Observation Deck area (44.360749, 15.158109) was good for Rock Partridge and waders, ducks, etc. Further north, Kolansko Blato area (44.515932, 14.918380) looked better for wetland species but we could not work out access to the viewing platform possibly due to high water levels and building works. If we could have worked out access, we would have done better.

Scops Owl in the square at Posedarje at 44.210515, 15.477978 was nice.

An hour & a half or so inland around Plitvice Lakes National Park looked interesting and I am sure would yield birds later in the spring in better weather conditions.

I will be adding observations in the Trip Reports forum when opportunity presents but thin pickings in the conditions save for eleven Rock Partridge seen and another nine heard - which as this was a one target species trip probably highlights our priority! :)

Better Rock Partridge pics will be added to that thread but ordinarily, you are looking amongst rocks like the attached. In the pic, the Rock Partridge is more obvious than normal...

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20230330_112919.jpg
    20230330_112919.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back