• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crash Course Astronomy (1 Viewer)

Tringa45

Europe
I've just discovered these videos
although they are a few years old.
Absolutely fascinating stuff and something there from which everyone could learn. There are over 30 of them and #6 is about telescopes.

John

Absolutely fascinating stuff and something there from which everyone could learn. There are over 30 of them and #6 is about telescopes.

John
'Crash Course Astronomy' sounds a bit like not paying attention when walking or driving = hit lamppost or tree = see stars ... ;-)

Will have to check them out, cheers.

This is fun if you already know what he's talking about, though I can complain about minimizing Kepler's contribution and so on, but it's hard to imagine what impact it would have on its intended audience, especially at this speed. (Hence "Crash", I suppose.) It's as if the play-faster option had been engaged, with nothing like a pause anywhere to think about what's been said, especially about thinking. How much would anyone actually retain from watching this?

I couldn't stop watching these and have now viewed all 46.
The biggest shock was in #43 and that the universe is expanding and is now 90 billion light years across. The light of the most distant galaxies we can see left them 13 billion years ago, but dark energy has accelerated them so much that they are retreating from us at greater than the speed of light and are now about 45 billion light years distant!

John

PS: At some stage he mentioned: "When the James Webb Telescope is launched in 2018.............."

John
John,

I just came across this thread. Many thanks for posting the video. (y)

For me the most salient part is in the introduction where he explains the nature of science. Would be that were understood and applied to our everyday thinking.

Ed

For me the most salient part is in the introduction where he explains the nature of science. Would be that were understood and applied to our everyday thinking.
The failure to learn scientific or critical thinking has been catastrophic. I used to think the problem was just the occasional Creationist or antivaxxer, but our entire culture has now succumbed to views that consider it just one of many ways of "knowing", or even fatally tainted by colonialism and racism, or (by now) hardly think of it at all. One could do a whole series of videos on this... but who would watch them?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back