• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (2 Viewers)

By 11am most of the cloud had gone and produced a clear blue sky. On arrival the feeding station was full of other birders, so decided on a walk up the cycleway.... largest flock was c. 50 Goldfinch over the ploughed field on the left, rest of the cycleway had 4 * Blue, 2 * Great and 1 * Coal Tit, 16 * Greenfinch in the gutter, 7 * Tree Sparrow, c. 16 Chaffinch, a few Yellowhammer and a Reed Bunting, all more or less 100 yds north of the feeding station. Cutting across Faith Wood towards the Lake (very muddy from last nights rain) we saw some sort of raptor, too far away to ID, but it alternated between hovering and landing in one of the distant pylons. The lake had the usual, 3 * Pochard, lots * Mallard (fighting a lot more than normal) 2 * Swan, 6 * Tufted Duck, 2 * Goldeneye, 3 * Shoveler, and er.. some gulls! In the opposite corner was possibly a Scaup or 2 but again too far away for sure but they looked like the one in the book!
Back at the feeding station the birders had gone for lunch... usual suspects, too many to count a lot of the time, included plent of Yellowhammer, Robins * 4 all scrapping, the treecreeper made a brief appearance as did the Woodpecker.

PS. Was the moss with the twig sticking out on the tree stump your doing Ian? (I only ask because when we first looked at the feeding station, there was a 400mm lens poking out!

Attachments

• IMG_3302.jpg
    IMG_3302.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3360.jpg
    IMG_3360.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 39
Guilty as charged 8-P

I arrived about 10:45 and headed over to the main pond - pretty quiet I thought. Goldeneye pair, Little Grebe x2 and a few Pochard, Tufted Duck, Coot and Moorhen. No Shoveler in sight. Mind you I didn't wander around to the far side - the ducks could be Scaup though there's what looks to be a Pochard x Tufted hybrid that looks very Scaup like. It was pretty close to the benches on my last visit but I forgot to take a photo.

I left the feeding station at 1:00pm. I put the moss on the log top and stuck in the stick to stop the great Tits tossing it off again. The Treecreeper was present for most of the time I was there - hardly leaving before coming back for another sunflower heart. Just the usual birds present.

As you say there were quite a few birders around this morning. A shame there wasn't more to see away from the car park area.

Attachments

• IMG_7367aoo.JPG
    IMG_7367aoo.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7287ao.JPG
    IMG_7287ao.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7253ao.JPG
    IMG_7253ao.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7383ao.JPG
    IMG_7383ao.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7397ao.JPG
    IMG_7397ao.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 47
Not too bad a morning. Some sun, some cloud and some rain and hail.

A female GSW landed on one of the telegraph poles when I got dropped off at the car park. It headed off along the cycleway and was probably the same one seen in a tree 40m along the track. It was chased off by a male GSW and they headed over towards the main pond.

Little else seen walking along the cycleway until the finch field 50m from Cloff Bridge. As Ray mentioned mostly just Goldfinch in the flock now - 73 was my max count from photos with Linnet x6. I've no idea where the rest of the Linnet (100+) have moved to. A nice surprise though were Grey Partridge x21 disturbed from the stubble by a fox. By far the most I've seen in one group here. Also Heron x1 flew over from the sewage works.

Nothing else seen walking down the beck to the main pond. A lack of birds on the main pond as well. Goldeneye x3 (1m 2f), Little Grebe x3 feeding together, Pochard x6, Shoveler x3, Mallard 20+, Tufted Duck c.15, Coot c.8, Moorhen x4, Mute Swan x2. Black-headed Gull x8, Common Gull x1. Cormorant x2 flew over but made no attmept to land.

Whilst sat on the twin benches I had numerous Sparrowhawk sightings as at least one male and female hunted the bushes around each side. Also Kestrel x2. Robin, Magpie, Greenfinch, Blue Tit and Great Tit were in the bushes.

Following the path alongside the railway by the hedge leading to the Acitivity Centre held Bullfinch x6, Wren and several tits.

The car park bushes were full of birds with Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit and even a flock of ringed LTT. A male Sparrowhawk flew along the bottom of the hedge between where I was stood behind the newspaper recycling bin and the hedge - landing on the fence at the end to my right. It didn't catch anything.

The feeding station was very quiet with not a scrap of food in sight. Even after putting some out only a few birds came in the 30 minutes I was there. The Treecreeper was present virtually the whole time. Actually two were present every now and again. Both visiting the feeders at the same time - one on the central tree and one on the stump in front of the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_8199ao.JPG
    IMG_8199ao.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8226ao.JPG
    IMG_8226ao.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8442ao.JPG
    IMG_8442ao.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8466ao.JPG
    IMG_8466ao.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8595ao.JPG
    IMG_8595ao.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 45
A few more photos from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_8613ao.JPG
    IMG_8613ao.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8709ao.JPG
    IMG_8709ao.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8967ao.JPG
    IMG_8967ao.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9084ao.JPG
    IMG_9084ao.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9204ao.JPG
    IMG_9204ao.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 44
Saturday @ noon (ish)

Dropped in to feeding station on way home from Saltholme, very busy, lots of families it being the weekend...

Even though some of the feeders were empty there was still lots of activity.

Chaffinch *14, Blue Tit *5, Great Tit *8, Coal Tit *2, Reed Bunting *4, Robin *1, Treecreeper *2, Long Tailed Tit *9, Wren *1, Tree Sparrow * 7, Blackbird *2, Oddly only 1 Yellowhammer. And I think a Siskin in the car park bushes.

The Treecreepers were there for a good 20 minutes, eating constantly from everywhere in the feeding station.

Attachments

• IMG_3380.JPG
    IMG_3380.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3437.JPG
    IMG_3437.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3460.JPG
    IMG_3460.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 60
A lovely sunny morning with a distinct bite to the air following a heavy frost over night.

Having been dropped at the car park I headed along the cycleway towards Cloff Bridge. The Goldfinch flock was still present with a few Linnet, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Dunnock mixed in. Only two Grey Partridge today. A revisit an hour later though I found Linnet had risen to around 80 as a flock arrived from the north. They mixed with the 80+ Goldfinch making quite a sight.

Following Claxton Beck there was little to see until reaching the new pipeline. Little Grebe x2 were in the beck below. Another birder later saw Water Pipit here after seeing four of them last week. No sign when I was there nor on my later revisit.

The odd Redwing and Fieldfare and a few LTT were along the beck.

As I reached the old hide a Sparrowhawk cirlced several times over head before drifting over to the hill and back again, eventually puting up a Heron that was roosting on the dead tree in the corner.

The main pond looked quiet again though a few more Tufted Duck back again with around a dozen of them. Shoveler x8, Little Grebe x3, Cormorant x1, Goldeneye x3 (1m 2f), Pochard x6. Also Coot, Moorhen, Mallard.

Nothing else seen before reaching the car park again. The feeding station was quiet-busy-quiet with the usual range of birds. Treecreeper x2 again. Tree Sparrow were around 40 again, Yellowhammer x8, Reed Bunting x8. Also nice to see the Wren again.

Having met a birder who'd seen Water Pipit I decided to have a wander around that way again. I didn't find them but I did come across another flock of Goldfinch c.80 along the upper reaches of Cow Bridge Beck and a also a Little Egret flying SW along the beck from the sewage works towards Seal Sands Road passing within 4m of where I was stood.

Ending up back at the car park I sat chatting with a friend. We were in his car facing the tables where a weasel kept us entertained for a good ten minutes as it checked along the hedge line and every table. In the bushes were Yellowhammer, Dunnock, Reed Bunting, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet, Tree Sparrow, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit.

All in all a pretty good day.

I think Ray was just arriving as my wife picked me up and we were leaving.

Attachments

• IMG_0777ao.JPG
    IMG_0777ao.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0245ao.JPG
    IMG_0245ao.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0263ao.JPG
    IMG_0263ao.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0098aao.JPG
    IMG_0098aao.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0438ao.JPG
    IMG_0438ao.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 58
Dropped in to feeding station on way home from Saltholme, very busy, lots of families it being the weekend...

Even though some of the feeders were empty there was still lots of activity.

Chaffinch *14, Blue Tit *5, Great Tit *8, Coal Tit *2, Reed Bunting *4, Robin *1, Treecreeper *2, Long Tailed Tit *9, Wren *1, Tree Sparrow * 7, Blackbird *2, Oddly only 1 Yellowhammer. And I think a Siskin in the car park bushes.

The Treecreepers were there for a good 20 minutes, eating constantly from everywhere in the feeding station.

I think they must move between the car park tables and the feeding station. Also as I left a weasel was in the bottom of the hedge. It kept climbing through the bushes trying to sneak up on the birds. A few Linnet (your first photo) were in the bushes though I didn't see Siskin - much as I'd have liked to have done! Still very few of them around here.

Bright starting off today but turning pretty dull by mid-morning. Quite chilly too in the wind.

Not a great deal to see around anywhere. Best find of the day was a juvenile Scaup on the main pond. It was staying by itself, mostly well out from the banks but occasionally associating with a group of seven Pochard.

Only two Shoveler today and only one Goldeneye - a drake that was a little more friendly coming right in close to the lower bench where I was sat. A single Cormorant and a single Little Grebe were the only other noteworthy birds.

Very little else seen away from the pond and feeding station - mostly just Blue Tit and Great Tit.

Even the feeding station was very quiet with just a few Tree Sparrow and just one Yellowhammer. 12-15 Blue Tit though - a bit of a mini-invasion! Also Coal Tit x2, Treecreeper x1, Greenfinch x6, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffinch x8, Blackbird x2.

Attachments

• IMG_1643ao.JPG
    IMG_1643ao.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1323ao.JPG
    IMG_1323ao.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1570ao.JPG
    IMG_1570ao.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1237ao.JPG
    IMG_1237ao.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1606ao.JPG
    IMG_1606ao.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 58
A pleasant morning for a wander around the Park. Fine and bright with a little bit of sunshine even if the paths were the muddiest I've seen in quite a while.

A few more birds on the main pond. No sign of the Scaup today and still just one Goldeneye - the drake. Tufted Duck were back up to around 20 as were the Mallard. Shoveler numbered 13 with six boys and seven girls! Pochard x9, Little Grebe x2, Moorhen x3, Coot x1, Mute Swan x2, Cormorant x1. Robin x2 and a Dunnock by the twin benches.

It was nice to see a few more birds spread around the Park though still not that many. Several Robin and Dunnock were atop bushes singing with several Wren singing from lower perches. Reed Bunting pair and several Blue and Great Tits along the cycleway.

Feeding station was fits and starts with the usual birds coming in - though no Reed Bunting whilst I was there and GSW were in the trees above but didn't come to the feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_2156ao.JPG
    IMG_2156ao.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2125ao.JPG
    IMG_2125ao.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2048ao.JPG
    IMG_2048ao.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2227ao.JPG
    IMG_2227ao.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2383ao.JPG
    IMG_2383ao.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 55
Still a bit of snow around this afternoon. Nice and sunny if a little chilly.

The car park feeders were very quiet when I arrived despite loads of food out. Just a couple of Reed Bunting.

The feeding station itself had stacks and stacks of food - by far the most I've seen there. The birds were making the most of it - nothing out of the ordinary though Tree Sparrow numbers were up with 53+ and 12-15 Yellowhammer. Loads of Chaffinch again but no Brambling though we did have one in the garden this morning. Treecreeper x2 came in with at least one present most of the time I was there. The weasel came in a couple of times as well approaching from the right of the screen and disappearing to the left before returning 20 minutes later.

Heading along the cycleway it was nice to see good numbers of birds in the hedges on either side with Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Tree Sparrow, Long-tailed Tit, Chaffinch, Greenfinch and Goldfinch. Just prior to Cloff Birdge the finch flock was back. Around 80 birds mostly Goldfinch but with a handful of Linnet and a few Chaffinch and Greenfinch. A Sparrowhawk flew over spooking them. A few Redwing and Fieldfare present as well.

Nothing much seen between there and the main pond following Claxton Beck. Just a Moorhen on the very swollen beck.

Pheasant were calling from the grassy sde of the hill facing the pond but none seen. A GSW flew over heading across the railway lines.

The pond was mostly frozen over and with a white snowy cover. Only a small area was ice free in front of the lower bench. Mute Swan x2, Mallard c.12, Shoveler x1, Little Grebe x1, Moorhen x1, Coot x2.

Robin x2 and Dunnock x1 were in the bushes there.

It was almost 4:00pm by the time I got back to the car park not having seen anything else.

A fairly short visit this morning. A little dull again today with light rain showers but pretty mild.

Yellowhammer, Dunnock, and Reed Bunting were on the feeding tables in the car park when I arrived plus a Robin and a few tits hanging around.

Following the track to the pond a male Kestrel was perched in one of the alders.

Not great numbers of birds on the pond but a few new ones and a fair bit of activity. A pair of Canada Geese are new arrivals. As usual they were being chased by the Swans at least until I got the bread out which caught their attention ;)

The geese made good use of the peace and quiet to display and then mate - unfortunately they were right across the far side from where I was sat. Two drakes were the only Goldeneye around. Little Grebe x2, Pochard x9, Shoveler x5 though possibly more as they slept by the reeds the whole time I was there. Apart from the Geese an infrequent bird seen was a Water Rail in the NE corner flitting amongst the reeds but making quite a racket for a while.

The usual Coot, Moorhen and Mallard were around as well. A Cormorant was fishing and then roosting on the stone island. Magpie, Robin and Blackbird were in the bushes.

I headed straight back to the car park and paid a quick visit to the visiting station. Usual suspects were about with around 30 Tree Sparrow at times plus the Treecreeper. One Tree Sparrow is no more as Sparrowhawk dashed in picking it up from a perch where it was waiting to get onto one of the tables.

GSW was overhead a couple of times but never came in. Several LTT made fleeting visits. A weasel passed through but didn't investigate the feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_9598ao.JPG
    IMG_9598ao.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9620ao.JPG
    IMG_9620ao.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9499ao.JPG
    IMG_9499ao.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_9414ao.JPG
    IMG_9414ao.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9448ao.JPG
    IMG_9448ao.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 50
Sunday 10:00am

Bright sunny and warm day, produced a lot of activity in general around the park.

Apart from the tables, the feeding station was devoid of food so emptied my monthly ration into the hanging feeders.

Feeding station had the usual mix of Blue Tit *8, Great Tit * 3, Chaffinch c.16, Reed Bunting * 3, Blackbird, Robin, Dunnock *3, Wren, LTTs *18, Yellowhammer *4 and Treecreeper *2. No sign of GSW. The feeding tables were at one point covered in Tree Sparrow c.20

Many Greenfinch and Goldfinch on Cycleway

Pond was mainly Mallards, Swan *2, Tufted duck *6, Shoveler *3, Pochard *4, Coot and Moorhen. No sign of Cormorant, with Robin *2 and Dunnock *2 near the benches.

Attachments

• IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 44
Very grey skies this morning but quite mild and no wind and no rain.

Starting off I headed along the cycleway from the car park. Loads of birds in the hedges again. Bullfinch x4 and Goldfinch c.20 opposite sewage works gates. Several Dunnock, Robin and Wren singing all the way along the path. Just before Cloff Bridge a Yellowhammer was singing - first one I've heard this year.

Only around 30 Goldfinches in the flock by the pylon. A Song Thrush was giving a pretty good rendition of all the song birds songs it's heard.

Beyond Cloff Bridge the Yellowhammer seem to have paired up and back at the nest areas. It was nice to see a Little Owl back in it's tree. It flew across to the beck side trees. A few Goldfinch, Dunnock and Wren along the hedges there as well.

Nothing new between Cloff Bridge and the main pond. The pond was pretty quiet again. No Goldeneye at all and no Cormorant. Half a dozen Pochard and Shoveller and a Water Rail was calling but not seen. The usual Moorhen, Coot, Mallard, Mute Swan, Little Grebe and a pair of Gadwall. A flock of around 9 LTT moved through the bushes along the railway line. Robin and Magpie also in the bushes and Reed Bunting x4.

Feeding station was very quiet this morning. No food at all when I arrived. Even after putting some out it was mostly Blue Tit, Great Tit and Chaffinch. A Treecreeper made a brief appearance as did Reed Bunting x2, Yellowhammer x2, Robin, Blackbird, Dunnock and Tree Sparrow c.20. A GSW came into the tees above but didn't come to the feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_0842boo.JPG
    IMG_0842boo.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0842ao.JPG
    IMG_0842ao.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1007ao.JPG
    IMG_1007ao.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1106ao.JPG
    IMG_1106ao.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1148ao.JPG
    IMG_1148ao.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
We had a wander over to the pond this morning and then back to the feeding station.

Tree Sparrow, Chaffinch, Great Tit and Reed Bunting on the car park tables when we arrived. Little else seen between there and the main pond.

The pond was pretty quiet again though it was nice to see the Goldeneye back (2m, 1f). Also present Pochard, Shoveler, Gadwall pair, Mute Swan pair, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe x2 and numerous Tufted Duck. Around 20 BH Gull and Common Gull x2 on the water.

In the bushes by the benches were Robin, Dunnock, Wren and Reed Bunting x3. The alders behind the benches held Siskin x20 which was nice to see as they've been lacking here this winter. A pair of Goldfinch were feeding with them. As we left the benches the pair of Magpie flew in to see what they could find. A Skylark was up displaying and singing to the east of the railway.

Also a male Kestrel literally stooped at great speed in from about 100m to catch some prey on the hillside below the viewpoint - maybe a vole. It carried it off north along the railway lines before returning to hunt 10 min later.

Plenty of food out today in the feeding station but very few birds. Treecreeper, Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin and Blackbird. A later revisit also added a single male Siskin and a single Long-tailed Tit and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Grey Wagtail x1 on Claxton Beck. Goldfinch c.80 in bushes on approach to Cloff Bridge.

The reason for the later visit was that I planned on checking out the Little Owls again. Unfortunately Cloff Bridge is out of action whilst it's repaired/replaced so there's no access from the south - a shame they haven't posted any notices as you don't find out until you reach the bridge! Loads of cyclists and two horse riders were finding out the hard way today.

Nice to meet AndyMc today as well :t:

Attachments

• IMG_2943ao.JPG
    IMG_2943ao.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3142ao.JPG
    IMG_3142ao.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3159 ao.JPG
    IMG_3159 ao.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3374ao.JPG
    IMG_3374ao.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3440ao.JPG
    IMG_3440ao.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 46
decided to get up early after a night shift and have a look around here today as the weather forcast said a fine day with sunny spells so of course it was raining cold and windy

beacause of the lack of sleep and bad weather we just stayed in the feeding station, lots of great and blue tits, treecreeper x1 and a few chaffinches and a male tree sparrow

bushes in car park where jumping with birds

taking some food for the birds certainly helped the treecreeper came quite close at times lured with sunflower hearts

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpg
    IMG_4398.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4404.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4405.jpg
    IMG_4405.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4418.jpg
    IMG_4418.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 40
A little dull and dreary starting off this morning but the skies did brighten towards lunchtime.

Little seen between the car park and the pond. The pond itself held a few more birds today mainly due to an increase in Tufted Duck with 27 present. Also present Shoveler x9, Pochard x11, Little Grebe x2, Gadwall x2, Mute Swan x2, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen. No sign of any Goldeneye today.

Just Robin, Reed Bunting and Magpie in the surrounding bushes.

Very quiet heading back to the car park where even the feeders there were pretty quiet despite food being out. A single Redwing was sat in the trees above the car aprk with a few Greenfinch.

The feeding station was almost devoid of birds when I arrived though plenty of food again. The Treecreeper was present when I arrived but soon departed. For the next 30 mins just a handful of birds came in - the odd Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch and a Robin. If I hadn't been waiting for a lift I'd have not stayed but I'm gald a did as suddenly 100+ birds arrived en-masse. 50+ were Tree Sparrow with around 25 Chaffinch the rest comprising Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, a single LTT, Treecreeper, Robin and Blackbird. Most were still there when I left.

Attachments

• IMG_4541ao.JPG
    IMG_4541ao.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4839ao.JPG
    IMG_4839ao.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4876ao.JPG
    IMG_4876ao.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4961ao.JPG
    IMG_4961ao.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5133aao.JPG
    IMG_5133aao.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 47
Bright but overcast this morning and a little chilly.

A little spooky starting off today. From the car park I walked along the cycleway towards Cloff Bridge. Passing the sewage works I was just thinking to myself I'd not seen any Jays yet this year when what should fly over but three of them! They flew from the sewage works west into the hedge line by Cowbridge Beck by the pylon. A great sight to see. I retraced my steps but couldn't locate them again.

The patch of stubble by Cloff Bridge held around 60 Goldfinch with a few Linnet and Greenfinch. Also one Grey Partridge.

The work on Cloff Bridge looks to be just about finished. A new bridge is in place and 90% complete. Looks quite plush. It's still closed off but you can get around.

A pair of LTT were busy nest building in a thicket of hedge with a Yellowhammer singing its head off above them. A pair of Little Owl were sat in a tree by the side of the beck.

Nothing much else seen between there and the main pond though quite a few birds singing today - Wren, Robin, Dunnock and Yellowhammer.

About the same number as last visit of Tufted Duck, Pochard and Shoveler present. Also Little Grebe pair and pair of Gadwall. It was good to see the Goldeneye back again with 2m and 1f. One male came over to feed on sunflower hearts and peanuts.

Robin, Dunnock and Reed Bunting were in the bushes by the benches. Sparrowhawk, pigeons, Magpie and one Redwing in the trees on the west side.

Back at the feeding station things were petty quiet again but with a steady trickle of birds - Robin, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Great Tit, LTT x1, Reed Bunting x1, Yellowhammer x3, Treecreeper, Dunnock, Tree Sparrow c.20, Chaffinch c.20, Greenfinch c.12. GSW heard but not seen.

Attachments

• IMG_6232bo.JPG
    IMG_6232bo.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6240ao.JPG
    IMG_6240ao.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6296ao.JPG
    IMG_6296ao.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6303ao.JPG
    IMG_6303ao.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6316ao.JPG
    IMG_6316ao.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 53
After a dissapointing (to say the least) Firday morning (Durham thread), went for a chill out :smoke:. Not a lot at the feeders (empty, so were my pockets). I think I may have seen Ian dissappearing into the bushes west, from a distance. Tufties & Golden eye at the lake. Last one is for the farmer in Durham thread:-O

:t:Andy

P.S.
Definately saw Ian again, didn't stop for a chat as he was on the Avocet mission:t:, understandable.

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3233 copy.jpg
    IMG_3233 copy.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 55
After a dissapointing (to say the least) Firday morning (Durham thread), went for a chill out :smoke:. Not a lot at the feeders (empty, so were my pockets). I think I may have seen Ian dissappearing into the bushes west, from a distance. Tufties & Golden eye at the lake. Last one is for the farmer in Durham thread:-O

:t:Andy

P.S.
Definately saw Ian again, didn't stop for a chat as he was on the Avocet mission:t:, understandable.

Sorry I missed you Andy. Looks like you did better than me with the weather - it was just brigthening a bit as I was leaving.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back