• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

can anyone provide more info on where consols pond is please?
Would also love to see hoopoe when im down for just over a week from tomorrow, the one in truro would probably best but is this in a private garden?

Hopefully someone with better county knowledge can fill you in properly on consols pond ... (don't get out much lol!).

Not sure if the Hoopoe is visible from public highways/byeways ... but if you were nearby could be worth a wander on the offchance ... or just a total waste of time ... (and of course peering into gardens can be a bit iffy) The Sennen one not reported today(?), and the Lizard one seems to be fairly elusive (if still present too).

Apart from the two county bird news services linked to in recent posts above ( ;) ), check out the Falmouth thread on here too if you're staying in the vicinity ...

Good luck.

Hi Andy, Consols pond is at the western end of St ives on the coast road just after the junction with the B3306 and B3311. Google Maps show it as a green algea covered pond but thanks to the locals it has now been restored to its former glory. The bird favours the stream at the back of the pond and this can be accessed from a lane just after the white house on your right as you go down Towednack road. Please respect the privacy of the residents nearby. The owner of the property to the right of the pond has been very generous in letting us know when the bird has been seen.

The Hoopoe at Truro is in a private garden and is not forced to be there next week anyway. We are expecting some wintery weather! The one at Brew Pool would be more appropriate if its still there.

Link to map for Consols pond

thankyou paul, where is brew pool? Might go to the lizard if that one is still about?

thankyou paul, where is brew pool? Might go to the lizard if that one is still about?

The Brew Pool is East of Sennen, Streetmap link here. Access is down the small track next to the white house just North of the Seaview Caravan Park. It's basically opposite the "96" on the map link. The Hoopoe can be rather elusive so you need to check all the surrounding fields and within the water treatment works etc.

HTH

Adam

Bird News

Stithians – RING-NECKED DUCK (drk) at Stithians reservoir

St Austell – RING-NECKED DUCK (drk) at Par Beach Pool still at 1317hrs

Sennen – HOOPOE still along track to Brew Pool sewage works tho elusive. Access east of A30 along track juts north of Seaview Holiday Park

FalmouthHobby flew north over this afternoon

St Ives – Ring Ouzel (5, 2 m+3f) at Buttermilk Hill this morning

Nice to see you back using the Cornwall Birding thread I started Dave. Shame you started off on the same foot again. Thought that was all water under the bridge. But seeing as you mentioned the cbwps news, it certainly is more accurate if you want to know where the Robins and oystercatchers are in the county at 1030pm each night. When you have over 900 hits a day and an up to date bird report published then please come back to me. Otherwise feel free to continue to use the thread I started constructively for the enjoyment of everyone. If you have anything to say about me personally or our VERY successful and popular website then feel free to do it to my face or PM me in future, Im sure other users don't want to listen to your drivel once again.

PS.l Rare Bird Alert sponsor us and we share news. You will notice all of the RBA news from yesterday that came out on the pager this morning was from Cornwall Birding. If you look at the days news on the website from this date you will see the contibutors names. I took them off for use on Birdforum. The news on the pager actually came from Cornwall Birding, not the other way round. I notice you have also taken the link to Cornwall Birding off your contributors list. LOL!! Very childish. I'll take the higher ground and leave the CBWPS link on our website as Im quite happy to support the society. I see the daily news for today on the cbwps sightings page is so far late news from the 1st and 2nd!

kind regards,

Paul, I have no desire to get drawn into endless arguments with you as they are futile. Logic, accuracy and truth seem to be alien subjects to you.
A simple comment from me has elicited to the usual tirade of pettiness, inaccuracies and lies that were all too familiar the last time we corresponded.
As usual your response has raised so many issues it is hard to know where to start. Let’s take them one by one.

“Nice to see you back using the Cornwall Birding thread.”

This is nonsense and untrue, I have never been away. It was you who left in a huff when the American Bittern was re-identified by me at Walmsley Sanctuary following the debacle at Trewey. It is you who have returned under a second account on BirdForum. Presumably you are trying to distance yourself from all your embarrassing mistakes and posts as Conorbirda2, your original account name?

“When you have over 900 hits a day and an up to date bird report published then please come back to me.”

Yet again Paul you are mistaking popularity for quality. News of the World was a very successful and popular newspaper but many would question its morality and quality. As for the Bird Reports, yes they are, to our shame way behind, but steps are in place to correct this. However to claim your publication is a bird report is a travesty. You have presumably merely regurgitated the news from RBA without any thought of verification and perpetuated many of the erroneous claims that appear down here, especially in the autumn. You have cherry picked all the easy bits and shunned sorting through the literally 10,000’s of records submitted each year.

“But seeing as you mentioned the cbwps news, it certainly is more accurate if you want to know where the Robins and oystercatchers are in the county at 1030pm each night.”

This comment just shows your shallowness and superficiality. There is far more to birding than rare birds. Maybe you should change your name to Cornwall Twitching. The whole point of the CBWPS daily sightings page is to encourage the submission of records for as many birds as is possible in Cornwall, to aid the scientific and conservation efforts of the Society. We are already well served by RBA and Birdguides as far as rare and scarce bird records go. Your site achieves nothing, except largely duplication and to massage your ego.

“Otherwise feel free to continue to use the thread”

Thank you for so graciously allowing me to use a public forum, Paul.

“You will notice all of the RBA news from yesterday that came out on the pager this morning was from Cornwall Birding. If you look at the days news on the website from this date you will see the contibutors names. I took them off for use on Birdforum. The news on the pager actually came from Cornwall Birding, not the other way round.”

This is nonsense and a complete red herring! On the day in question, the 29th March, all but one of the birds you mentioned in your post still have no names attributed to them on your website. You have either taken the reports direct from your pager or you are being extremely rude in not acknowledging your contributors.
However you have completely missed my point which was that at the time of your posting all of the information was already in the public domain and added nothing new. Therefore it was obviously just a blatant attempt to publicise your web site, which to my mind is just unwelcome, unsolicited junk mail or spam, hence my post.

“I notice you have also taken the link to Cornwall Birding off your contributors list. LOL!! Very childish. I'll take the higher ground and leave the CBWPS link on our website as Im quite happy to support the society.”

The only reason your site has been taken off the contributors list is because you are not contributing any records! Is that unreasonable? There is still a link to your website in the links section as far as I am aware. So Paul, you can come down off your high horse and if you want to support the Society you could start by sending in your bird records for the proposed Tower Farm reserve where you were supposed to be the warden for a year.

“I see the daily news for today on the cbwps sightings page is so far late news from the 1st and 2nd!”

I also notice that those reports have snuck into your web site retrospectively and without any acknowledgements.

If you wish to continue this, I suggest that you transfer your response to the Ruffled Feathers section which I believe is designed for such discussion. I know many people have found your lame attempts to justify yourself in the past highly amusing but this is not the platform to do it.

Kind regards

Dave

PMs guys use them, this is supposed to be a cornish forum you lot are meant to be the mpst laid back in the country!

PMs guys use them, this is supposed to be a cornish forum you lot are meant to be the mpst laid back in the country!

I know, but when I have tried PM's in the past Mr Freestone's comments have been both threatening and abusive. He obviously has major anger management issues. I have suggested ruffled feathers, let's hope he has the sense to move there or move on, figuratively that is!

Dave

I know, but when I have tried PM's in the past Mr Freestone's comments have been both threatening and abusive. He obviously has major anger management issues. I have suggested ruffled feathers, let's hope he has the sense to move there or move on, figuratively that is!

Dave

I have just registered with ruffled feathers and it is nothing like I had been led to believe or envisaged. Therefore I think the only sensible thing I can do is ignore Mr Freestone's scurrilous lies and half truths and nip his nonsense in the bud. If he persists I will simply refer his posts to the moderators. Hopefully then we can all get on with discussing birds, which is presumably what we are all here for.

Dave

Why not simply ignore each other? In situations like these online spats and bickering, neither party emerges with credit. IMHO

Anyway, about Cornwall birds, has anyone seen a Juvenile Rough Legged Buzzard in the Marazion area recently, IE: 06/04/2012?

obm

At Marazion this day: Wheatear, 20 House Martin, Sedge Warbler, RL Buzzard, numerous Common Buzzard, Stonechat, Reed Bunting, Mute Swans, Grey Heron, Little Egret.

At Hale Estuary, Ring Plover x 6, Black Tailed Godwit x 24, Water Pipit x 2, Oyster Catcher x 18.

a good day.

obm

3 x common buzzard just beyond govern wood nr truro circling field being ploughed
Also saw 3 blue pheasants are these a mutation and are they common here?

Twite spotted in Cornwall

Hi there
I am a new member but an avid bird watcher. Last week during the very cold spell my feeders were swamped by Goldfinches and along side them was a bird I have never seen before. At first glance I thought it was a young bird as it seemed mostly brown and speckly but on closer inspection it had a definate pale steel grey/blue wing stripe. Looking in my books it looked to me to be a twite. Has anyone else seen these birds around?
Glad of any help? I am near Falmouth.

Hi there
I am a new member but an avid bird watcher. Last week during the very cold spell my feeders were swamped by Goldfinches and along side them was a bird I have never seen before. At first glance I thought it was a young bird as it seemed mostly brown and speckly but on closer inspection it had a definate pale steel grey/blue wing stripe. Looking in my books it looked to me to be a twite. Has anyone else seen these birds around?
Glad of any help? I am near Falmouth.

Twite would be extremely unlikely on a garden feeder. Could it have been a Redpoll? Or a Linnet?

Twite would be extremely unlikely on a garden feeder. Could it have been a Redpoll? Or a Linnet?

Thanks Jon, Thanks I will check the books but a Twite was the closest thing to the bird I saw. I didn't see it on the feeders just on a shrub close by. By the time my books were out it had gone.

As Jon has rightly stated, Twite is an extremely rare bird in Cornwall. The last accepted record that I am aware of, was in November 1988 (involving a flock of 17 birds) but prior to this there had been just 13 occurences. The only spring record was in March 1901.
When checking your books, as Jon suggested, concentrate on female Redpoll and Linnet.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Stithians today

colour ringed Lesser Black-backed Gull on the reservoir today. Looking like it's a German bird. Details submitted.

Also 8 singing Chiff Chaff, 11 singing Willow Warbler, def no Whitethroat (as expected). Did see a very pale Dunnock though.

WeBS count

16 Canada Geese
1 Greylag Goose
1 Goldeneye
5 GC Grebe
20 Tufted Duck
5 Coot
9 Mallard
5 Wigeon
3 Heron
4 LBB Gull
42 Herring Gull
5 Cormorant
7 Teal
2 Little Grebe
1 Moorhen

Sorry Andy, as you will read in my first and only reply to Mr Parker I did ask that any further correspondance came in the form of a PM. He obviously has very little else to do. Im sure you are aware that I started this thread as a Cornwall Birding Thread, yes, to advertise the Cornwall Birding Website and to get news, info etc about Cornwall onto BF, which wasn't being done at the time. I can't see any reason why Mr Parker just doesn't start a CBWPS thread instead of hijacking this one? I honestly do not know what the bloke has got against me. He never says anything to me in the field and is obviously happy to use this forum I started.

Anyway, news straight from the Cornwall Birding wesbite, before RBA or anywhere else ;-) MONTAGU'S HARRIER flew south over Buttermilk Hill at 08.15 this morning and a male Ring Ouzel still present.

Last edited:
As Jon has rightly stated, Twite is an extremely rare bird in Cornwall. The last accepted record that I am aware of, was in November 1988 (involving a flock of 17 birds) but prior to this there had been just 13 occurences. The only spring record was in March 1901.
When checking your books, as Jon suggested, concentrate on female Redpoll and Linnet.
Hope this helps.

Dave

Well I have studied all the options but the male (winter)twite is still the best match. I assumed the flock of goldfinches were a late continental group coming over and perhaps because of the unusually cold spell perhaps had strayed a bit futher south than normal. Anyway I wil never know. I must remember to keep my camera handy.

in the hedge behind my garden I had 8 bullfinches most of the afternoon chasing each other around 5f 3m.I have never seen that many in one go before ive had 4 through the winter feeding of my station,great sight to see

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back