• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Crossbill w/ white wing bars (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

This crossbill, seen a few weeks ago in the Spanish Pyrenees, shows narrow white wingbars.

According to Collins, this is a very rare variation. I would like to ask exactly how rare just out of curiosity. Has anyone else observed such birds?

415 (Large).JPG

This crossbill, seen a few weeks ago in the Spanish Pyrenees, shows narrow white wingbars.

According to Collins, this is a very rare variation. I would like to ask exactly how rare just out of curiosity. Has anyone else observed such birds?

View attachment 672439

I don't think it is that rare. I have seen some like this in the UK, and I don't live in an area where we see Crossbills that often. These pales edges (rather than white wing bars) are probably more frequent than Collins suggests.

Ditto to fairly frequent, at least for the narrow, off-white bars as on yours. What's a lot rarer is Common Crossbills with broader, more obviously white bars, though still not extensive enough for Two-barred.

Here's another wing-bar Common Crossbill, which a lot of people ticked as a Two-barred.

Attachments

• Two-barred Crossbill voaden01 (Medium).JPG
    Two-barred Crossbill voaden01 (Medium).JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 101
I saw some in Ordesa NP, in the Pyrenees, in Feb 2017, and wing bars got me to pull out the birdguide. plumped for common in the end, though cannot remember why.
HW

Well the illustration (in the two-barred crossbill section) is more similar to mine.

If I saw a bird like Creedence's I'd admittedly probably have a heart attack and wouldn't think twice about calling it a two-barred, at least at first.

Incidentally, my new Handbook of WP Birds just arrived and I checked what it states. It gives 5 criteria to separate rubrifasciata Crossbills from Two-barred Crossbills.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back