• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CLose Encounters of the Eight-Legged Kind (1 Viewer)

I'm afraid alan-rymer's nicked that one - but you can probably change yours now, James, if you want.

Talking of "British spiders don't bite" I do know they do, the black and white jumping spider does, How do I know? 'cos when I was posting letters through one door something dropped right into my sock and bit my ankle, and when I got the blighter out my ankle started to swell and although I took an antihistamine tablet it took several weeks to go down. Thank God for getting old and forgetful, as I had forgotten about it, but I don't feel things now on my legs, so even more dangerous, but I now have to take antiallergy medication permanently for this reason, last year got a wasp sting and if the cat hadn't pounced on it I would be no more as it stung my leg and I knew nothing about it until the swelling started, which meant it was almost too late, but I put two and two together and sucessfully made four, hence I'm still here to plague you all, Nina.

Incidentally, I was watching a prog a bit back about Spiders, and apparently ALL spiders are venomous - it's just that for most, we humans are immune to the venom.

I too like all insects including arachnids, but after having a wasp fly inside my motorcycle jacket whilst zipping up the A1 and stinging the back of my neck, I now get a bit nervous when they approach me. But last year whilst trimming the flowering black currant I discovered a wasps nest in it. The council will not come out if the nest is not in the home, as the Grandsons were coming to stay I had to get rid myself. Motor cycle gear with a net curtain wrapped round my helmet, wife watching from Lounge window in hysterics (not funny) trying to squirt an aerosol through an entrance hole that wasps are emerging from ten to the dozen.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back