• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clivicola bilkewitschi Zarudny, 1910 and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Clivicola bilkewitschi Zarudny, 1910 OD here
Trochalopteron lineatum bilkevitchi Zarudny, 1910 OD here
Benannt zu Ehren von S. J. Bilkevitch, meines Reisegefährten auf der bucharischen Reise.
Carduelis chloris bilkevitchi Zarudny, 1911 OD here
Erythrospiza githaginea bilkewitchi Zarudny « OD Izvestia Turkestanskago otdela Russkago Geographitcheskago Obstchestwa » , XIV , 1918 , p . 67 (not seen)
Cinclus bilkevitchi Zarudny 1902 OD here
Dieser Wasserschwätzer ist nach Herrn St. Bilkevitch benannt, welcher ihn in mehreren Exemplaren erbeutete.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Martin sp. Clivicola bilkewitschi Zarudny, 1910 NCR [Alt. Grey-throated Martin; JS Riparia chinensis]
Streaked Laughingthrush ssp. Trochalopteron lineatum bilkevitchi Zarudny, 1910
European Greenfinch ssp Carduelis chloris bilkevitchi Zarudny, 1911
Trumpeter Finch ssp Bucanetes githagineus bilkewitchi Zarudny, 1918 NCR [JS Bucanetes githagineus crassirostris]
S. I. Bilkevitch [sometimes written Bilkevich or Bilkewitch] (fl.1930) was a Russian zoologist who was Director of the Transcaspian Museum (1910–1937).

The Key to Scientific Names
Stefan I. Bilkevich (fl. 1937) Russian zoologist (syn. Bucanetes githaginea crassirostris, subsp. Chloris chloris, syn. Cinclus cinclus leucogaster, syn. Riparia paludicola chinensis, subsp. Trochalopteron lineatum).

I think it is Stanislav Iosifovich Bilkevich.
Станислава Иосифовича Билькевича (1864-1937) here or here

Last edited:
I was checking the same names in parallel. He was already briefly dealt with here by Björn, who took the info from Vladimir Payevski's Этимология названий птиц Палеарктики (2018), but the Key was not updated.

Erythrospiza githaginea bilkewitchi Zarudny « OD Izvestia Turkestanskago otdela Russkago Geographitcheskago Obstchestwa » , XIV , 1918 , p . 67 (not seen)
Erythrospiza githagineus bilkewitchi Zarudny 1918 here, pp. 67-68 ("Страница" 83-84 "из 172") -- very brief dedication in first footnote on p. 68.
*) Въ честъ С. І. Билькевича.

Станислав Иосифович Билькевич / Stanislav Iosifovich Bil'kevich, b. 2 Apr 1864, "Чихоновичи", Grodno Governorate, d. 22 Nov 1937, Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.

("Станислава Иосифовича Билькевича" in the title of Шергалин 2020 is genitive.)

He was born to a father who was originally Prussian, but later adopted the Russian nationality. I'm not sure about the localisation of his birth place Чихоновичи (Chikhonovichi -- the only thing the Internet appears to know about this place is that he was born there; the only locality that I could find on maps of the former Grodno Governorate, and which had a name "more or less" like this, was Цехановец, now Ciechanowiec, which today is eastern Poland, but this is offered without any warranty). He was variously called a Pole or a Lithuanian in some documents. (He was made a Lithuanian when he was sentenced to death in 1937.)

Last edited:
OK sorry in this case I took the wrong one of the variants bilkevitchi / bilkevitschi / bilkewitchi / bilkewitschi not matching with Björns one.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back