• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clapgate Pits - Winteringham - Winterton Floods (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello,

Had a few hours out in the fresh air, instead of feeling sorry for myself with assorted illnesses. Today was ably assisted by D.J.
Our first port of call was a Lincs Wildlife Trust reserve at Broughton called Clapgate Pits, this is what we saw:Great Tit, Song Thrush, Kestrel and two juv Blackbirds. We also heard Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Jay. Saw a few different butterflies, but we couldn't identify them. As we walked alongside a field a single-engined plane flew over our heads, it was a dark colour and it looked like either a Spitfire or Hurricane.

Then we went to Winteringham, although we didn't know it we were about to have an enjoyable hour watching one species of bird which for me makes "my day", the Marsh Harrier. This is what we saw:
Marsh Harrier - 4 [ 3 female 1 male. One pair were displaying, some of the time right above us, it was so thrilling to see this sight again].
Meadow Pipit - 3
Skylark - 1
Reed Bunting - 2
Avocet - 3
Redshank - 1
Shelduck - 20
Swift
Mallard
Pied Wagtail
Moorhen

Although it was hot and sticky, it was all worth it to see the MH soaring oh so high. Well worth getting soaked in sweat!!

Then as we drove away D.J. heard a Corn Bunting in a field just outside the village.

We finished the day off at Winterton Floods, stopping only half an hour, but in this time we saw: Mute Swan, Coot [lots], Pochard,
Cormorant, Great-crested Grebe, Kestrel, Grey Heron and Swift.

After two weeks of illness and confined to the house, it was to say the least a great relief to be back birding again. It was a really enjoyable day.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back