• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (2 Viewers)

I've been busy visiting the local Cheshire sites recently but not too much out of the ordinary to report yet. At least some places are starting to dry out a little now.

I'd heard they were going to be doing some work there, but I was led to believe it was only going to be the Sallows inside the marsh. That's just f*****g vandalism.

I'd heard they were going to be doing some work there, but I was led to believe it was only going to be the Sallows inside the marsh. That's just f*****g vandalism.

And the Sallows should be left - the Sedgies are shifting to use them

I'm incandescent

There were Mistle Thrushes nesting in the poplars - Blackbirds building, Robin etc... and Chiffchaff bred there for the 1st time ever last year

Last edited:
and Blackcap tried to breed in the Apple tree - now 6" high...

I'd assumed it was the Golf Course and the posh resident wanting their view back

Today - 4 Iceland Gulls and 5 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; 2 Bitterns at Budworth Mere; 3 Eider and 2 Twite at Leasowe; 2 Avocets, Mediterranean Gull, Jack Snipe and Greenshank at Burton Mere Wetlands; esc Red-breasted Goose at Hale;

CB

Just back from a nice stroll along the Dee from Farndon heading towards Chester. A bit quiet on the bird front, 1 cormorant, a nice pair of goosander, 1 Muscovy duck, and a good flock of redwing in the plantation below Churton. Did hear my first chiffchaff of the year somewhere near Almere though.
The photo shows the extent of the recent floods in the plantation below Churton, about waist high I reckon!

Attachments

• P1160910bf.jpg
    P1160910bf.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 64
Today - 2 Twite at Leasowe; Avocet at Neumann's Flash and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Marbury CP; esc Red-breasted Goose at Hale;

Mar 3rd - esc Red-breasted Goose at Redesmere;

CB

:eek!::C:C:C:-C gut wrenching

I thought most of the trees were on the opposite side of the golf course. So what were they doing trespassing on the nature reserve?

It really is tragic. That corner was so special for a great many birds. Can any new trees be planted?

Such a mindless moronic waste.

Those trees took eons to grow -they hadn't changed noticeably since I've been going (1974). The Sycamore in the end garden was felled last year, as were all the trees in the garden two down from the corner.

Those trees took eons to grow -they hadn't changed noticeably since I've been going (1974). The Sycamore in the end garden was felled last year, as were all the trees in the garden two down from the corner.

Does anyone know if there has there been any response from Cheshire Wildlife Trust whose reserve it is as to what action they are going to take in respect of this ?

The problem is with 'ownership'. Red Rocks Marsh, and the dunes to West Kirby, are owned by RLGC, not CWT or the council. Although the marsh is a CWT reserve most, if not all, work has been carried out by, or overseen by, the council ( this situation is rather in limbo at present as the council tries to offload all that it can ). Thinking back to 2006, when the Open was held at Hoylake, one of the major areas used by people to sneak onto the golf course without paying was at that end of the marsh - and guess what's coming back to Hoylake?

Does anyone know if there has there been any response from Cheshire Wildlife Trust whose reserve it is as to what action they are going to take in respect of this ?

I emailed them 3 days ago - as yet no response. Perhaps a few others might let them know too.

I thought most of the trees were on the opposite side of the golf course. So what were they doing trespassing on the nature reserve?

It really is tragic. That corner was so special for a great many birds. Can any new trees be planted?

Such a mindless moronic waste.

Was down at Red Rocks a couple of times last week - at the point not the reserve, but did see a CWT van there on each occaison so it was obviously they who have been cutting the trees down - although they may have been doing this at the request of RLGC.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back