• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chernobyl Exclusion zone (1 Viewer)

to kingwolf
Did you ask about ability to make a touristical visit on the territory of Exclution zone (in your previos question)? Sorry for my bad English. What did you mean "general public can enter the zone"? I decide that you ask about permanent residence.

SerpUa said:
Hello All!

I'm working at the territory of Chernobyl Exclusion zone.
Birds are one of favorites object for my naturalistically investigation.
Especially birds of prey.
Hope find here more practical information about this magnificent creatures.

Best wishes!

Wow, that's some local patch! I was reading in National Geographic some time ago about how wildlife has taken over Pripyat and the Chernobyl exclusion zone. It was very interesting reading.

SerpUa said:
to kingwolf
Did you ask about ability to make a touristical visit on the territory of Exclution zone (in your previos question)? Sorry for my bad English. What did you mean "general public can enter the zone"? I decide that you ask about permanent residence.

What I was thinking was "eco-tourisom" so that people paid to enter the "exclusion zone" (obviously only when it is safe to) if it was being managed as a nature reserve. I thought that this would increase income for the area and aide the management of the area.

Don't worry about your English it is very good - I cant write the amount you are in a foreign language.

What I meant about general public entering the zone was just visiting it and not acctually permantly residing within it.

kingwolf said:
What I was thinking was "eco-tourisom" so that people paid to enter the "exclusion zone" (obviously only when it is safe to) if it was being managed as a nature reserve. I thought that this would increase income for the area and aide the management of the area.

Don't worry about your English it is very good - I cant write the amount you are in a foreign language.

What I meant about general public entering the zone was just visiting it and not acctually permantly residing within it.

I see.
Nowadays anyone may to get into Chernobyl Exclution zone. Approx 1 or 2 thousand visitors coming to exclution zone every year. They are interesting of abounded Pripat city, “Shelter” object, Nuclear power plant and so on.
For realization of visit needs only special permit. And fervent wish.

Hi SerpUa,

Visited the neighbouring area in Belarus earlier this year - fantastic part of the world. Do you have any idea on the population of Azure Tit in the exclusion zone? Concerning access, you say you need a special permit - is it easy to get and would one need to apply long in advance? Am probably going to be in the area again this coming winter or spring and would be interested in the exclusion zone too.

to Jos Stratford
If you want – I can help you preparing and make official permission to Exclution zone. Only in zone. (Sorry, but I don’t know of embassy procedure).
About Parus cyanus (Azure Tit). I don’t remember this bird. It may be because my ornithological experience is not enough.

SerpUa said:
to Jos Stratford
If you want – I can help you preparing and make official permission to Exclution zone. Only in zone. (Sorry, but I don’t know of embassy procedure).
About Parus cyanus (Azure Tit). I don’t remember this bird. It may be because my ornithological experience is not enough.

Parus cyanus I saw in the excellent Pripyat valley in Belarus - if I came into the Chernobyl area, it would be more to see the general wildlife, which I fully understand to be amazing. Permission for me to enter Ukraine is straightforward, I can get a standard tourist visa from here. If I may, I would like to contact you a little nearer the spring - my idea is to pop over to Pripyat again and Chernobyl is so near, why not? (it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door ;) )

SerpUa said:
I see.
Nowadays anyone may to get into Chernobyl Exclution zone. Approx 1 or 2 thousand visitors coming to exclution zone every year. They are interesting of abounded Pripat city, “Shelter” object, Nuclear power plant and so on.
For realization of visit needs only special permit. And fervent wish.

Thats interesting to here - maybe one day I will make it out there!

Jos Stratford said:
Parus cyanus I saw in the excellent Pripyat valley in Belarus - if I came into the Chernobyl area, it would be more to see the general wildlife, which I fully understand to be amazing. If I may, I would like to contact you a little nearer the spring - my idea is to pop over to Pripyat again and Chernobyl is so near, why not? (it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door ;) )
OK. But don’t forget that organization of permit require a lot of time (2-3 weeks). For discussion more detail of visit demand write in private, please.
(it is only a four or five hour drive from my front door)
Are you live in Byelorussia? Are you neighbor of Ukraine?
You are absolutely right – wildlife of exclusion zone is very attractive (for naturalist).

Below I want to demonstrate of some photo of my four-days walk expedition in exclusion zone. Main expedition purpose was search of Black Stork nest.

Attachments

• BF_001.jpg
    BF_001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 272
  • BF_002.jpg
    BF_002.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 230
  • BF_003.jpg
    BF_003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 250
  • BF_004.jpg
    BF_004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 243
Nice pictures! Remind me of some parts of NE Poland.

I wonder which forests and marshes in Ukraine are best for birds. Polesie is said to be great?

Its shocking how well wildlife does if you just remove the humans. Never mind the horrendous radioactive pollution, they just need no humans. I prefer the idea of people never going back to this area, including ecotourists. Nature needs somewhere without the human threat, and then it can flourish.

Unfortunatly teh area will need money to be run and managed properly for the benefit of the wildlife (other wise succession will occur and the wildlfie there will move on out) which is why you need to have some income be it just from groups or as a full NR where any one can visit.

Going there on Monday, just on a standard tour. Anything I should look out for? Azure Tits would be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back