• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chernobyl Exclusion zone (1 Viewer)

SerpUa

Hello BirdForum from Chernobyl Exclusion zone

Hello All!

I'm working at the territory of Chernobyl Exclusion zone.
Birds are one of favorites object for my naturalistically investigation.
Especially birds of prey.
Hope find here more practical information about this magnificent creatures.

Best wishes!

I’m carried out of radioecologycal observations since 1996. I had not see any structural (morphological) changes in birds and animal, which domiciled on radioactive polluted territory.
Absence human on this territory is very useful for nature. Especially for birds and animal.
On local territory (approximately 10 square km) around Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant is a radiomorphozus of vegetation (mainly pine). The rest territory of exclution zone is a paradise for wildlife!
I’m sorry for my terrible English.

Main purpes of my investigation is assesment of radionuclides fluxes in nature ecosystem of Exclution zone. Especialty strontium and ceasium.
Impact radiation on the bird (genomic) investigate sceintist from Chornobyl Center http://www.chornobyl.net/en/223
Sometime I take part in it.

Some picture of birds of Chernobyl Exclution zone.

Attachments

• img006-01.jpg
    img006-01.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 256
  • img004-01.jpg
    img004-01.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 258
Hi, welcome!

Looking forward for more info on birds and wildlife in Chernobyl. Is it true that white-tailed eagles are common?

White-tailed Eagles data

jurek said:
Hi, welcome!

Looking forward for more info on birds and wildlife in Chernobyl. Is it true that white-tailed eagles are common?

Hello Jurek and SerpUa,

I'd like to know about White-tailed Eagles in the exclusion zone too.

I'm currently populating a spread-sheet on this species in all the countries in its range. Any information will be welcome.

Welcome to Birdforum SerpUa.

Cheers,
Chris B :)

jurek said:
Hi, welcome!

I’m watch this birds (every year) around Cooling pond of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant. In my opinion, annually approximately 6-7 pair nesting there. You can look on photo of white-tailed eagles nestling. Author of it is Sergey Gaschak – Slavutych radioecology laboratory.
The nest was discovered close by Cooling pond (2 km).

Attachments

• img003-01.jpg
    img003-01.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 252
Cool!

I saw a programme not too long ago and I was surprised to learn some mammals actually have done quite well since the disaster.

How is it for the birds?

Andrew said:
Cool!

I saw a programme not too long ago and I was surprised to learn some mammals actually have done quite well since the disaster.

How is it for the birds?

Since human go away from territory of Exclution zone – I may establish a fact that species diversity is grow up essentially. Nobody did not investigate of bird species variety on this territory after accident (during last 20 years) seriously.

jurek said:
Do you have any idea what rarer birds live there and how many?
And what about big mammals?

list of rarer birds species CHERNOBYL Exclution zone
- Ciconia nigra (Linneus, 1758)
- Aythya niroca (Guldenstadt, 1770)
- Bucephala clangula (Linneus, 1758)
- Pandion haliaetus (Linneus, 1758)
- Milvus milvus (Linneus, 1758)
- Haliaeetus albicilla (Linneus, 1758)
- Hieraaetus pennatus (Gmelin, 1788)
- Aquila clanga Pallas, 1811
- Aquila pomarina Ch.L.Brehm, 1831
- Aquila chrysaёtus (Linneus, 1758)
- Circaetus ferox (Gmelin, 1788)
- Circus cyaneus (Linneus, 1766)
- Circus macrourus (Gmelin, 1771)
- Grus grus (Linneus, 1758)
- Burchinus oedicnemus (Linneus, 1758)
- Haematopus ostralegus Linneus, 1758
- Tringa stagnatilis (Bechstein, 1803)
- Numenius arquata (Linneus, 1758)
- Bubo bubo (Linneus, 1758)
- Aegolius funereus (Linneus, 1758)
- Glaucidium passerinum (Linneus, 1758)
- Strix nebulosa Forster, 1772
- Lanius excubitor Linneus, 1758
- Acrocephalus paludicola (Vieillot, 1817)
- Regulus ignicapillus (Temminck, 1820)

I don't know How many. It need wide-ranging investigation.

Absolutely sure:

- Grus grus (Linneus, 1758)
- Bubo bubo (Linneus, 1758)
- Ciconia nigra (Linneus, 1758)
- Haliaeetus albicilla (Linneus, 1758)
- Circus cyaneus (Linneus, 1766)
- Circus macrourus (Gmelin, 1771)
- Circaetus ferox (Gmelin, 1788)

przewalski horses - approx 67-69.
Bison bonasus Linnaeus - are you ask abotu it mammals? One bison was die 4 or 5 years ago.
How do you know about bisons on the territory of Exclution zone?!

kingwolf said:
What are the future plans for the area? Nature Reserve?

How soon before the general public can enter the zone?

May be it will be nature reserve... I hope. But now is wide political discussion about it. There are lots of plans - from build a new nuclear power pant to cultivate oilseed crops on polluted territory.

In my opinion general public cannot enter the zone. Because it is economical question only. Nowadays territory Exclution zone have a radioactive free territory - but it recovery in unprofitable.

Would "wildlife" tours to the area not bring in money which would help fund the management of the area or even a small part of the area. Even if it is only open to the public via permits to tour groups?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back