• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can someone give me a run-down of Hawaii? (1 Viewer)

Wow, that long ago huh. Well it's now October 2022 and I've made a total of 5 Hawaii trips (2 to the Big Island, 2 to O'ahu, 1 to Kauai). I thought my commentary here might help anyone thinking of going in future based on current conditions.

O'ahu has two endemic species, the 'elepaio and the amakihi. Aiea Loop Trail is the common choice, but 'elepaio is a tougher bird as there are few individuals in this area, it's not as easy as the 'elepaio species on other islands. Check eBird for recent locations of individuals hanging around, they keep territories. Bristle-thighed curlew is seasonally persistent at the far north of the island, I saw one on the golf course which it felt like I was trespassing to get onto, but people seem to do it and access the beach this way. Mariana swiftlet is on the Aiea Ridge Trail, not Loop Trail, though very rarely they are seen on the Loop too. Taking the Loop trail, midway there is an overlook connecting to the Aiea Ridge Trail. You can see the swiftlets here either in the sky or coursing over the forest slopes below you, but I'm told the further you go on the Ridge Trail the higher your odds as it brings you closer to their remote roosting cave. You'd think it would be straightforward to spot them since they roost nearby but they are actually not that easy. 'Elepaio also occurs at this overlook, but it does not really persist further as the ridge trail is too exposed for their preferences. Generally you'll be taking the north half of the Aiea Loop to the overlook, and retracing your steps, rather than making the whole loop (especially to maximize chances of 'elepaio). 'i'iwi is thought to be extirpated from this island presently.

Kauai is a tricky case and that's only worsened now mosquitos have invaded the prime habitat. Anianiau prefers the drier slopes and you can find it with luck around the uppermost overlook in Koke'e State Park (Pu’u O Kila Lookout). My advice is to then walk back down the main road about half a mile and enter into the dry forest overlooking the ocean, that's where I saw mine and others have too. I heard mine calling down the cliff and thankfully it eventually flew up with amakihi and white-eyes. The other three, akeke'e, akikiki, and puaiohi are real trouble especially now they are declining rapidly. All 3 are within the Alakai Wilderness and access is limited, most birders will fail to find any of these three. There are two ways to access the Wilderness. The first is from the Pu’u O Kila Lookout, and hiking 2 miles into the wilderness (it's not flat, and often muddy, beware). The second is driving a side road from opposite the Koke'e State Park Campground, however this requires 4wd but it is the easier hike. All 3 of these birds need shady, well-sheltered native forest and the more remote you can get (either to the NE or SE), the better your odds, so hiking fitness is very useful. 'Apapane, Kauai Amakihi and 'Elepaio I have not specified as they are common all over up there. 'i'iwi is possible but very rare and declining here, that one is best on the Big Island.

Big Island is effectively two categories: Hakalau Forest and Dry Forest. Hakalau is a private forest and you must sign up for a tour (either with Jack Jeffrey, Gary w/ Hawaii Forest & Trail, or Mandy. The tours run about $250 per person but minimum 2, so you pay $500 if it is just you -- however Jack and Gary will usually have multiple people scheduled on the same day so usually you won't be paying the solo price. They are all excellent guides and I do recommend them, besides that it is the only way to see some of the species due to the private reserve. You have a very high chance of seeing all the endemic birds in this area (oma'o, amakihi, akepa, akiapola'au, io (hawk), alawi (creeper), nene (goose)). The toughest one is akiapola'au which only has a few breeding pairs left, akepa can be tough to see but they are heard often. You will see many 'i'iwi as well, this is the best place in the archipelago to see them. Dry Forest is home to just one bird, but it's a very interesting one, palila. Many people have found this species at the namesake Palila Discovery Center, which is a rough drive through dry forest. Know your birds before going as many people mistake them for amakihi or red-billed leiothrix. It does not require a 4wd most of the time but if the storms have been brutal, it can tear the road up. Unfortunately this bird seems to be on its way out, I've made multiple attempts and this year none of the tours have found one, nor have the recent surveys. The drought this summer hit it very hard and it may already be gone, which is unfortunate as there are no mosquito or habitat threats like the other species.

Hope this helps anyone else planning these trips! I haven't covered any non-natives besides the swiftlet, feel free to ask and I can answer for those. There is one other thing to note, which is that learning songs and calls is very tough for these islands. A lot of the endemic birds have multiple songs (some like 'apapane have nearly 300 known song variants), and often times each species has a common call that nearly overlaps with that of another species. So it's very tough to just listen and chase a sound, and more patience than usual is required!

Last edited:
To follow up on Tirana’s post, I’ve gleaned a great deal of information through phone calls and the internet on our own trip to the Big Island and Oahu which begins late next week.
The Oahu Elepaio is currently being reported most often on the Wiliwilinui Trail. Traditionally, the Aiea Loop trail is a good bet but eBird reports from recent weeks are from the above mentioned trail. Reading eBird reports, it seems to be less trail walking to find the bird. We’ll do the Aiea Loop and Ridge trails first to have a chance at the Swiftlet and the Wiliwilinui trail if we miss the Elepaio.

I’ve been told by Dick May, a guide for Oahu Audubon, and the staff at the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, who oversee the Palila reserve, that drought has affected populations of the Palila by not allowing the mamame tree to produce seed, the bird’s main diet. Since, also according to the staff at DLNR, a four wheel drive is absolutely required to access the Palila reserve, four miles up a gravel road with 2000’ feet of elevation gain. A sign at the beginning of the road states this. The budget for DLNR includes little funding for road repair caused by anyone irresponsible enough to access the reserve by two wheel drive and tear up the road doing so.
It has been reported irregularly on eBird in the past two months, though not in any numbers or on every visit. It seems many want to drive up, bird for an hour or so and leave if the target bird is not seen.
We intend to walk it, birding along the way. With that kind of effort, we’ll be committed to spend a good part of the day there with hopefully increased chances for success.

Btw, we were told the minimum for a Hakalau trip by Hawaii Forest and Trail was six. This would make sense to cover their expenses, given the two hour drive to get there in a four wheel drive van.

Recent news of Mauna Loa’s increased seismic activity may play a part in our time on the Big Island.

Steve

To follow up on Tirana’s post, I’ve gleaned a great deal of information through phone calls and the internet on our own trip to the Big Island and Oahu which begins late next week.
The Oahu Elepaio is currently being reported most often on the Wiliwilinui Trail. Traditionally, the Aiea Loop trail is a good bet but eBird reports from recent weeks are from the above mentioned trail. Reading eBird reports, it seems to be less trail walking to find the bird. We’ll do the Aiea Loop and Ridge trails first to have a chance at the Swiftlet and the Wiliwilinui trail if we miss the Elepaio.

I’ve been told by Dick May, a guide for Oahu Audubon, and the staff at the Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, who oversee the Palila reserve, that drought has affected populations of the Palila by not allowing the mamame tree to produce seed, the bird’s main diet. Since, also according to the staff at DLNR, a four wheel drive is absolutely required to access the Palila reserve, four miles up a gravel road with 2000’ feet of elevation gain. A sign at the beginning of the road states this. The budget for DLNR includes little funding for road repair caused by anyone irresponsible enough to access the reserve by two wheel drive and tear up the road doing so.
It has been reported irregularly on eBird in the past two months, though not in any numbers or on every visit. It seems many want to drive up, bird for an hour or so and leave if the target bird is not seen.
We intend to walk it, birding along the way. With that kind of effort, we’ll be committed to spend a good part of the day there with hopefully increased chances for success.

Btw, we were told the minimum for a Hakalau trip by Hawaii Forest and Trail was six. This would make sense to cover their expenses, given the two hour drive to get there in a four wheel drive van.

Recent news of Mauna Loa’s increased seismic activity may play a part in our time on the Big Island.

Steve

Yes this makes sense regarding the minimum for Forest and Trail being six. If you go with Jack, it is two, and he will still do it with one person -- you just end up paying for two people effectively. Also good to know about the 4wd restrictions, I always had the impression it was to avoid any possible trouble with weather on the roads (as sometimes they rut out badly), rather than actual necessity for 4wd overall. But I do know that if the ranger (or equivalent to) catches you there without 4wd, they probably fine you.

Akikiki is looking like the next extinction by this point, unfortunately it has had a very rough year once more similar to palila. From what I've heard they are looking to rehabilitate the last wild birds into captivity around January next year. I'm going to make an impulsive last-minute attempt for them later this month. I'll be a long shot, but it may be the last chance to ever see one in the wild. It'll have my fingers crossed...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back