• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can I just confirm ID please? (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Hi all, I got a few shots of this bird when crossing from Skye to S. Harris, had a look around and I think it's a Kittiwake?
Cheers all.c9755f2b-2708-4f63-9e5c-7122fe5cd3de_rw_1920.jpg

No; kittiwakes retain their juvenile plumage until spring. They do not moult into a 1st-winter plumage.
The term 'first winter' should refer to plumage, not time of year. It is used to indicate that the bird is no longer juvenile.
A bird can be in 1st-w plumage already in August, i.e. summer.
Lots of passerines, e.g., have moulted their juvenile plumage by then, as have many terns, gulls etc.

I know many birders think like "It's a first-year bird and it is now winter so I am calling it a first-winter bird" but, if you think about it, that idea is flawed.
A first-winter Sabine's gull or Lesser black-backed gull that crosses the equator into the southern hemisphere would then suddenly be a first-summer bird according to that logic. Also, there are many raptors, albatrosses and other large birds that retain their juvenile plumage for almost a year or longer. Why would you make a distinction between juvenile and 1st-winter in such cases, as the plumage looks exactly the same?
And if it is really time of year that defines a bird's age, do you also talk about "1st-spring" or "1st-autumn" Common Buzzard and such?

See also the terminology in the Introduction (p. 9) in the Collin's Guide:
"1st-winter - age category usually referring to the plumage following that of the juvenile, usually gained through a partial (in some species) complete moult in late summer/autumn of 1st calendar-year, and worn until the next moult in the spring of 2nd calendar-year."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back