• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bubo bubo jarlandi La Touche, 1921 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Bubo bubo jarlandi La Touche, 1921 OD here
Named in honour of the donor, Dr. Jarland, French Colonial Army, late of Mengtsz.
A pair of nestlings were given by Dr. Jarland. The lager bird, a female, unfortunately died on the China coast while being taken to Europe, and was made into a skin by me.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Eurasian Eagle Owl ssp. Bubo bubo jarlandi La Touche, 1921 NCR [JS Bubo bubo kiautschensis]
Surgeon-Major Jarland (fl.1921) served with the French Colonial Army in Yunnan, China (1917–1921). He gave La Touche a pair of nestlings of this owl.

The Key to Scientific Names
Surgeon-Maj. Jarland (fl. 1921) French Army in Indochina (syn. Bubo bubo kiautschensis).

So if he was in Mengtsz I would go for China rather than Indochina. He published 1926 La Cécité au Yunnan, Ses causes, sa prophylaxie in Annales de médecine et de pharmacie coloniales. (I assume posthumously if late in 1921?). Or was la Touche wrong?

His name is probably Sébastien Jarland or more detailed Sébastien Joseph Jarland. Found even JARLAND (Sébastien-Joseph-Léonce-Néry).

Last edited:
"Late" I'm this context means "formerly from" or even just "from". Dr S.L. Jarland was in the port hospital in Mengtsz from 1917 until at least 1927 then he was in charge of the French consulate in Mengtsz in 1928.

Birth record: here > Vue 10.
(When this ceases to work: go here > "Registres numérisés" > "Registres d′Etat Civil [296]" > Page "8" > "Cote : 1E239 - Dates : 1878 - 1878 : NAISSANCES [...]" > Vue 10 )

Sébastien Joseph Léonce Néry Jarland
Born 20 Jan 1878 in Angoulème, Charente (son of Mathieu Mathurin Néry Jarland and Marie Louise Hymonet).
Married Jeanne Georgette Lavergnaz on 4 May 1933 in Paris.
Married Marie-Louise Chéroux on 22 Sep 1951 in Poiré-sur-Vellaire, Vendée.
Died 6 Feb 1959 in Saint-Georges-de-Didonne, Charente-Maritime.

(Death date also on the first scanned document in his Léonore file.)

He ended his career as a "Médecin-Colonel". (Which I assume to be higher than Surgeon-Major.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back