• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brockholes Nature Reserve, Preston (1 Viewer)

Don't visit then and your problem is solved. But like me am NOT a member of thr RSPB therefore costing me 4.50 a visit to Leighton Moss. To may complaints about pricing, walk get a bus or park somewhere else, fantastic reserve anyway.

Perhaps RSPB membership is something you should consider then, since they operate a "pay what you like" policy? I elected to pay £5.00 a month for myself and my wife. By paying a bit more than the standard £36.00 my conscience is clear when I throw their requests for additional donations in the bin!

Update on the parking charges. It's £4.00 for 2 - 5 hrs and £10.00 for the day. Since I would be coming up from Liverpool, I might well want to make a day of it and bring my lunch. The parking charge now looks to be fairly extortionate!

Today at Brockholes...1 Little Stint, 2 Whimbrel and a very empty car park but a very busy access road (free).

ps what's that big floating grey blob on the East Pit?

hear hear-depressing news about the hide which will no doubt be levelled at adolescent boredom as if that is a reasonable excuse.

cheers

Same adolescent boredom that prompts inbreds to take potshots with airguns and catapults at anglers on Church Deeps and Mellings Wood on the Ribble.

All cities have their bad neighbourhoods filled with rotten eggs, it's nothing new so just leave it at that.

How sad. People put so much time and effort into conservation and it can all be destroyed in a few hours. It does make me wonder why want to destroy something like this? Is there a sense of deprivation or is it plain boredom/bad behaviour?

Brockholes has been targeted a number of times and it wont be the last time. Maybe they need to make hides out of material that cant be destroyed? Something needs to be done so such people do not get away with this behaviour again.

It's just where it is! No hides get burnt down at Moore or Burton or Mere Sands or Pennington or anywhere else in the North West that I am aware of. Nature reserves shouldn't need to be like maximum security installations. If they do they are in the wrong place!

Pennington Flash is hardly peaceful. They have had problems there. Also I thought at one point they had problems with some hides at Marshside even?

There was a bird hide on the banks of the Wyre Estuary miles from the nearest house that was burned down. One of the Marton Mere hides was burned down. It certainly isn't unique to Preston in the north west.

Stephen

Point Of Air was virtually given up on after numerous acts of vandalism including the hide being burnt down-these idiots are present everywhere.

cheers

Pennington Flash is hardly peaceful. They have had problems there. Also I thought at one point they had problems with some hides at Marshside even?

Problem with Marshside hides is they are right on the main road and Southport is full of seasonal p!ssheads!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back