• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Britain's most prolific egg collector, reoffends again. (3 Viewers)

Real eggers don't deal in single eggs, they want the scientific record of a clutch: they think they are scientists, not villains. He's probably taking whole clutches and he almost certainly has a ring of like-minded badduns to swap with even if he didn't have additional hidden collection elements that the police didn't find last time. It would be interesting to see the records he must have stashed somewhere about each and every egg, which will include dates they were collected.

John
Some of the photos and video grabs show hand written labels alongside the clutches eg, Nightjar, Holt Lowes.....and there were at least 3 clutches of this species in the cabinets. He is reported as being single handedly responsible on his previous conviction of the demise of breeding nightingales in North Norfolk, though deer grazing must also be a contribution.
I'm informed his diaries / logbooks also had dates, geolocations and nest description / habitat details hence his obsession with the practice.

Last edited:
The simple answer is this is a generational thing.
Sometimes too simple of an answer leaves out the importance of geography and local cultural norms as well. My point was however that of all people claiming to have not participated, we can’t know the verity of those statements and I for one appreciate the honesty in admissions made here.

I'll tell you what though, how has he gathered so many eggs, he can't have got them all himself, 3000 since 2018? Is there some kind of 'ring' of those who act together or swap eggs?
I think there are just a few individuals left now who collect eggs. But there were still some sctive in the 90s and early 2000s whose hobby was "nest finding" , just as obsessive and I unknowingly had first hand exposure to this on a Spring birding trip in Europe where one of the members found countless live nests and also had site info on a Bonellis Eagle nest, when he wandered off alone and then proudly appeared several minutes later atop a crag displaying an eaglet raised in his hands. IMO, he had site information and detailed directions from an other. Was it the Jordainian society?, nothing to do with the country. Quite different to those who locate nests for scientific and research purposes.

Last edited:
Sometimes too simple of an answer leaves out the importance of geography and local cultural norms as well. My point was however that of all people claiming to have not participated, we can’t know the verity of those statements and I for one appreciate the honesty in admissions made here.
I would certainly concur with you there. I lived in the country until I was nine and almost all of the boys were eggers. When I then moved into town, virtually none of my classmates knew anything about it.

I think there are just a few individuals left now who collect eggs. But there were still some sctive in the 90s and early 2000s whose hobby was "nest finding" , just as obsessive and I unknowingly had first hand exposure to this on a Spring birding trip in Europe where one of the members found countless live nests and also had site info on a Bonellis Eagle nest, when he wandered off alone and then proudly appeared several minutes later atop a crag displaying an eaglet raised in his hands. IMO, he had site information and detailed directions from an other. Was it the Jordainian society?, nothing to do with the country. Quite different to those who locate nests for scientific and research purposes.
Nottinghamshire has a well known 'nest finder'. He has never reoffended to my knowledge but people are still very, wary with what they talk about in his presence.

He was given a 12 week jail suspended sentence today, primarily on the grounds of mental health issues citing an obsession he cannot control. The Police commented they were dissapointed with the verdict. Weak judge, clever defence barrister.

One of various media reports:-

Better detail here:-

A link to Operation Owl information to which the Norfolk Police website refers:-

I would suggest really important for birders and reserve staff in North Norfolk to be aware of this chap. This element from the Norfolk Police website stating that he is still subject to a ten year behaviour order effectively establishes that previous sentencing has failed...

"Lingham had previously been convicted of similar offences in 2005 and 2018 and still has four years of a ten year Criminal Behaviour Order left to run."

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
He was given a 12 week jail suspended sentence today, primarily on the grounds of mental health issues citing an obsession he cannot control. The Police commented they were dissapointed with the verdict. Weak judge, clever defence barrister.
I mean...then he needs to be confined to a mental health facility. If a mental health issue causes you to consistently break the law, the solution is not to just shrug and go "oh well". If the guy had a mental compulsion to stab people, presumably this wouldn't be the verdict!

I mean...then he needs to be confined to a mental health facility. If a mental health issue causes you to consistently break the law, the solution is not to just shrug and go "oh well". If the guy had a mental compulsion to stab people, presumably this wouldn't be the verdict!
Our public services are severely threatened for well known reasons, especially in the area of 'mental health' and I think 'traits' such as his, come fairly low down on the list of urgency compared to those with say, hydrophobia.

A Criminal Behaviour Order is essentially the court saying - ‘do this again and we will smash you’ - and so a 12 week suspended sentence is a very merciful sentence indeed. The courts usually treat breaches of protective orders extremely seriously (because in effect if you breach them, you are sticking two fingers up at the court that imposed the order).

In Tudor times (1485 - 1603) theft was a serious crime where stealing anything over the value of 5 shillings could result in hanging. Something which by today's standards would be considered petty, such as stealing birds' eggs, could be liable to the same sentence. I am not advocating the death penalty, at least not for thieving eggs, just trying to put a perspective on this.

In Tudor times (1485 - 1603) theft was a serious crime where stealing anything over the value of 5 shillings could result in hanging. Something which by today's standards would be considered petty, such as stealing birds' eggs, could be liable to the same sentence. I am not advocating the death penalty, at least not for thieving eggs, just trying to put a perspective on this.

In more recent times, and in America, would this qualify for the three strikes rule?

As has been said to me by the National Parcs guy 'this is an english desease'...

In more recent times, and in America, would this qualify for the three strikes rule?

As has been said to me by the National Parcs guy 'this is an english desease'...

For the avoidance of doubt, the suggestion that this is simply an English issue is a dangerous statement and inaccurate.

Indeed, 90,000 eggs seized in Germany in 1999 is a classic example showing the fallacy of such statements:-

"The German authorities simply did not have these people, or indeed this type of criminality, on their radar."

The article refers to networks extending to the US and Australia.

It is important that people are aware. I myself have walked away from casual conversations wondering if I have said too much about rare bird breeding locations. I suspect that applies to most of us.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:

Back in my day, we had wooden eggs and had to go uphill both ways in the driving snow to get them for a nickel.

This kind of thing is bizarrely frequent in British law, to the point where people will fake a mental disorder to get out of jail time. Edwin Rist, who stole potentially millions of dollars worth of specimens from the British Museum, got no jail time due to an Asperger's diagnosis that he has admitted he faked.

You'll have to explain that one I'm afraid but, you can or at least you could, buy incredibly, realistic replicas on Ebay.
The best jokes are the ones that you have to explain to people (insert self-depricating sarcasm here).

Imagine an old, cartoonish, and slightly senile person making the statement in my post, while shaking his gnarled cane at the young 'uns and a wistful twinkle in his eye for the selectively remembered good old days (apparently in Tudor times) and you'll have a better appreciation for it. Do keep in mind that this curmudgeonly gentleman would be bewildered by Ebay.

But I do appreciate that you've introduced the topic of replica eggs. I'd never thought of it, but it would seem that woodworking and painting accurate replica bird (or other!) eggs could be a pretty engaging hobby - somewhat similar to fly fishing lures or miniature vehicle replicas, but perhaps more beginner friendly. And as a bonus it can be done legally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back