• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brasilia (1 Viewer)

TwoDipsfromAmsterdam

Anything About?
I will likely be going to Brasilia for a few days in early March. I hope to be able to get some birding in whilst there - although South America is virgin territory for me and the research that I have done so far suggests that fieldguides for the region are not exactly brilliant.

Brasilia National Park crops up when googling. It's close to the city so I would welcome any information on fieldguide resources, access, timing and, of course, what's likely to be seen.

In other words - help!

DiP

It's easy to access. Just get a cab (I'm pretty sure there are busses too, but not as convenient as a cab). Locals refer to it as Parque da Água Mineral. Beware that it can be rather popular on holidays and weekends, sometimes making birding a bit difficult. Unless getting special premission, it only opens 8AM, which is a bit late for birding. Nevertheless, some of the best Cerrado birding you'll find anywhere is within this park. Without the possibility of playback you'll likely miss some species (notably some furnariids, Basileuterus spp., Scytalopus novacapitalis and Melanopareia torquata), but otherwise voices are not as absolutely fundamental as they are in many other habitats in South America. For some tyrant flycatchers (notably Camptostoma obsoletum, Suiriri suiriri, Elaenia spp. & Myiarchus spp. - all of which are regular in the park) it is still a good idea to learn just a few voices beforehand, as identifications otherwise can be "fun" (they're easy enough to see, but utterly confusing to identify for most birders without extensive Neotropical experiance). For voices, I'd suggest xeno-canto:

http://www.xeno-canto.org/

Not 100% up-to-date, but here's a list of the species (#4 within the brackets after the individual species names means that it is known from the national park):

http://www.unb.br/ib/zoo/docente/rbcav/rb-artig/repres.pdf

The best field guide that covers the region is Guia de Campo: Aves do Brasil Oriental/Birds of Eastern Brazil by Tomas Sigrist, but don't expect anything comparable to a European field guide, and it doesn't provide much help for the more difficult groups. Other guides are on the way, but none will be published before you leave in March. If you have a camera, you can always post any mystery birds here on birdforum and hope someone will come along with an ID.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for this. Since my original post it now looks as if any free time I have will be extremely limited so I may be reduced to just the birds in the city. But I'm most grateful for your help and the links.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back