• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brace Yourself for all new common names? (1 Viewer)

raymie

United States
A recent "Common Names Meeting" was held by the AOS Diversity and Inclusion department on the topic of changing bird common names. I don't know much about what was discussed (does anyone who does care to share?), but I heard that some members of Team eBird said they were open to changing lots of common names - I was hoping eBird may go for keeping the current common names for logistical reasons but apparently not.

I noticed this today when looking for updated on this year's checklist proposal.

Does anyone have a copy of this recent paper/opinion piece?

A brief history of English bird names and the American Ornithologists’ Union (now American Ornithological Society)​

Abstract:
English bird names exist to increase the effectiveness of communication and to make ornithology more accessible to English speakers and readers. This purpose was recognized from the first edition of the Check-list, when it was considered important to include both a vernacular and technical name for each taxon. Every edition of the Check-list and its Supplements have thus included English names. Improving communication is an important job, and to be most effective a single name usually has to be chosen, especially among birds with widespread distributions and many vernacular names. The Check-list has been the standard for North America for over a century, and it provides the formal scientific basis for avian diversity and its management and conservation across most of the continent. Choices for the English names given in the Check-list have been made under clear criteria and guidelines that are responsive both to increased scientific knowledge and implicitly to changing societal mores. For more than a century, and for many different reasons, many people have been unhappy with choices made about English bird names and about the underlying processes. From the published history alone, it is clear that no process will achieve global consensus, yet there remain many merits to a standardized and widely adopted approach to English bird names. Consideration of these issues in a broader context of linguistics, culture, and history is also warranted.

I noticed this today when looking for updated on this year's checklist proposal.

A brief history of English bird names and the American Ornithologists’ Union (now American Ornithological Society)​

Abstract:
English bird names exist to increase the effectiveness of communication and to make ornithology more accessible to English speakers and readers. This purpose was recognized from the first edition of the Check-list, when it was considered important to include both a vernacular and technical name for each taxon. Every edition of the Check-list and its Supplements have thus included English names. Improving communication is an important job, and to be most effective a single name usually has to be chosen, especially among birds with widespread distributions and many vernacular names. The Check-list has been the standard for North America for over a century, and it provides the formal scientific basis for avian diversity and its management and conservation across most of the continent. Choices for the English names given in the Check-list have been made under clear criteria and guidelines that are responsive both to increased scientific knowledge and implicitly to changing societal mores. For more than a century, and for many different reasons, many people have been unhappy with choices made about English bird names and about the underlying processes. From the published history alone, it is clear that no process will achieve global consensus, yet there remain many merits to a standardized and widely adopted approach to English bird names. Consideration of these issues in a broader context of linguistics, culture, and history is also warranted.
Does this paper seem to be for or against the change of common names?

Does this paper seem to be for or against the change of common names?
It's a defense of the NACC and calls for common names to be retained with the exception of cases where a bird is named after a person who clearly did some shady stuff or where the person being honored has zero connection to ornithology or anything to do with birds. Or where some aspect of the bird name is otherwise offensive.

So my interpretation is a name like Wilson's Warbler is good, but folks should be open with changing bird names like Scott's Oriole. I think Wilson is even given as an example as a person worth honoring.

I'm going to stop installing updates for the likes of the IOC if this is enacted in it's entirety, more poitical bo??*X from American academia.

I'm going to stop installing updates for the likes of the IOC if this is enacted in it's entirety, more poitical bo??*X from American academia.
Would you have this same reaction if the discussion was about changing the long-standing name of Ring-necked Duck to Ring-billed Duck, or American Redstart to Orangestart?

Abstract:
This is entirely wrong from the start, and you can't get to a correct conclusion starting from the wrong place.

English bird names exist only for communication between English speakers. Those with no connection to ornithology still know, better than academics, that the bird in their back garden is a Robin. Birders with no connection to or interest in ornithological minutiae know that a Bearded Tit is not just a professor of ornithology but a reedbed bird of the British Isles and Europe - and that it is not a tit.

Ornithology is not at the centre of English bird names. Public English usage is at the centre of English bird names, and ornithology needs to butt out.

Scientific names are another matter, obviously.

John

Would you have this same reaction if the discussion was about changing the long-standing name of Ring-necked Duck to Ring-billed Duck, or American Redstart to Orangestart?
I think it would be a terrible idea to change the name of Ring-necked Duck to Ring-billed Duck. Every birder knows exactly which species the English name Ring-necked Duck is attached to, there's no ambiguity at all. The fact that Ring-billed Duck is arguably 'more accurate' is neither here nor there. And I kind of like bird names that bring attention to some obscure, less obvious feature, such as the ring around the neck of a Ring-necked Duck.

This is entirely wrong from the start, and you can't get to a correct conclusion starting from the wrong place.

English bird names exist only for communication between English speakers. Those with no connection to ornithology still know, better than academics, that the bird in their back garden is a Robin. Birders with no connection to or interest in ornithological minutiae know that a Bearded Tit is not just a professor of ornithology but a reedbed bird of the British Isles and Europe - and that it is not a tit.

Ornithology is not at the centre of English bird names. Public English usage is at the centre of English bird names, and ornithology needs to butt out.

Scientific names are another matter, obviously.

John
Did you read the paper...this is commented on IIRC. Basically, the NACC deals with this matter because at one time some species had as many as 100 different regional names, with AOU/AOS dating back to the 1800's. We are commenting on this after a good deal of consolidation of names already occurred before anyone here was born.

To give an example, in North America one species, the Canada Jay, was (in English) known as Camp-Robber, Venison Heron, Grease-bird, Meat0bird, and Whiskey Jack

On your side of pond, (European) Robin was known as Robin Redbreast, Ruddock, and Robinet.

Did you read the paper...this is commented on IIRC. Basically, the NACC deals with this matter because at one time some species had as many as 100 different regional names, with AOU/AOS dating back to the 1800's. We are commenting on this after a good deal of consolidation of names already occurred before anyone here was born.

To give an example, in North America one species, the Canada Jay, was (in English) known as Camp-Robber, Venison Heron, Grease-bird, Meat0bird, and Whiskey Jack

On your side of pond, (European) Robin was known as Robin Redbreast, Ruddock, and Robinet.
Absolutely, but the point about English usage is that it finds its own level, without interference from academia - which is rarely the best point for intervention anyway.... For that matter in Norfolk a Bittern used to be a Buttle (I met a birder called Carl Buttle in Mallorca in 1986): the existence of local or folk names is not, repeat not, a reason for intervention.

I like Whiskey Jack, as well, cracking name and very memorable. Some temperance obsessive complain, did they? And I'm quite happy dealing with Grey (all right, Gray ;) ) Jay and Canada Jay as the same beast, as well, even though my contact with the species has been only just enough to add it to the world and photo lists.

Cheers

John

English does find its level. Authors, academics and lexicographers have invented words for centuries some stick, some don't and some change their meaning. Uninterested/disinterested has flick-flacked around a couple of times.

It is the same with bird names. I have friends that still talk about dabchicks and peewits. The attempt to get us to talk about hedge accentors went nowhere. It's their list if they want change it that's their perogative. The new names might stick, they might not, someone might rename a bird after Donald Trump or Jeffrey Dahmer and that name might stick. Usage will prevail.

English does find its level. Authors, academics and lexicographers have invented words for centuries some stick, some don't and some change their meaning. Uninterested/disinterested has flick-flacked around a couple of times.

It is the same with bird names. I have friends that still talk about dabchicks and peewits. The attempt to get us to talk about hedge accentors went nowhere. It's their list if they want change it that's their perogative. The new names might stick, they might not, someone might rename a bird after Donald Trump or Jeffrey Dahmer and that name might stick. Usage will prevail.
But nowadays all that needs to happen is for the name to be on eBird and it will stick automatically - everyone will be forced to use it.

Look at the name of the committee that worked on this, it's nothing but academic wokery again.

'A recent "Common Names Meeting" was held by the AOS Diversity and Inclusion department'

To hell with e-bird and the horse it rode in on: never so much as looked into using it. And I'm not slow to adopt new tech when I need to.

Depending on how / where one birds and what their objectives are, it is arguably by far the most useful tool for finding birds and planning trips there is. It's far from perfect but it has made things so very much less painful in terms of figuring out which birds can be seen where. If that's not of interest, of course you might have another opinion. Other people are fanatical about list keeping and love aspects of eBird for that - less important to me what my list actually is, but having my list in eBird helps a lot with the trip planning. With a few clicks I can see what potential lifers (or year birds or country birds or whatever) are possible for me in a country, province, or even site. Again, it's not perfect but it is extremely useful - at least for me, so I'm in the end quite a fan despite its shortcomings and faults.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back