• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Both-spotted Bluethroat (1 Viewer)

Interesting Bluethroat in Whitley Bay today - Red-spot, or White-spot, or both/hybrid??

Date and site would strongly suggest Red-spot, but here's what the throat looked like . . .

Anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Michael

Attachments

• bluethroat.jpg
    bluethroat.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 202
Michael - looks like a Nuclear Warhead to me.. be careful.. Actually seen so few males I can't really comment save that I recall a plate will all sorts of combinations in BWP.

Is the throat acquired by wear or moult?

Now that is something I have thought of many times about hybrids. Let's assume the white and red spotted have been split into full species status and yours is actually a hybrid, what do you tick it as?

The nominate race I presume?

Some very useful comment in Svensson:

svecica
First year male: Much as adult male but spot on lower throat creamy white or buff with a little rufous admixed

Other plumage did suggest it was a first-summer bird, so this would fit. Just a nominate svecica.

Michael

Did it have partially moulted GCs too? Still jealous, Bluethorats never hang about long enough here to see anything on them!

Ah a post to wet the appetite.
Have never found Bluethroat before,although I had a probable hop over a wall once, so I am off to the Isle of May for a week on Sat with Bluethroat as the no1 quarry.
I dont care what the throat looks like as long as its a male!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back