• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Borneo and Singapore -in search of Pittas, Broadbills and Trogons -Sept 2015 (1 Viewer)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
Borneo and Singapore September 2015 -apologies for lack of formating and photos (forgot camera cable) will post on our return

This trip was originally meant to be Philippines part2* http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=274794* but we just couldn’t make arrangements for Mindanao and tie it into a relatively comfortable and special location to celebrate a big Wedding anniversary. So we decided, influenced by some of the great trip reports on this forum last year that its was time to get back to Borneo and to this time do Danum Valley and Kintabatagan River as well as a bit more time on Mount Kinabulu and Sepilok with three days in Singapore to finish.

To set the scene some words from the guide “ The mention of ‘Borneo’ alone is enough to summon a sense of adventure and excitement. The rainforests here are among the most biodiverse in the world and, in particular, the northern state of Sabah holds a legendary status amongst naturalists. The Danum Valley is an extraordinary place in which to experience genuine primary rainforest. Another Sabah treasure is the Kinabatangan River system which presents excellent mammal and birding opportunities while silently cruising along the tranquil waters”.* So itinerary went like this...

Day 1 travel
Day*2 Arrive Singapore*– little bit of local birding
Day 3 Morning flight to Kotu Kinabalu day around Tanjung Aru
Day 4 Early flight to Lahad Duta then transfer to Borneo Rainforest Lodge at Danum
Day 5 6 and 7 at Danum
Day 8 transfer to Sukua lodge on Kinabatagan River
Day 9, 10 around Sukua and visit Gonomatong caves
Day 11 after morning at Sukua tranfer to Sepilok
Day 12 Sepilok
Day 13 transfer to Hill Lodge Mount Kinabalu
Day 14 and 15 Mountain Trails
Day 16 afternoon flight to Singapore
3 nights in Singapore

So on arrival in Singapore not a great deal of birding just a short walk in the Gardens, where we saw common birds such as Yellow-vented Bulbul, Magpie Robin, Olive-backed Sunbird, Pink-necked Pigeon, Common Myna before our first new bird of the trip a couple of Java Myna which are now pretty common in Singapore. Only other birds seen were Glossy Swiftlet, Scaly breasted Munia, Asian Starling and a surprising Grey Tree Swift. It was then off to get changed for drinks and dinner at Shangri-la: Blue (unidentified raptor from Blue on 24th floor) and Line.

Early flight the next morning got us to Kotu Kinabalu and checked in while it was still morning. We stayed at Tanjung Aru a nice enough place with good grounds a mini golf course and access to the beach and some trees. We didn’t see a great deal as we took the chance to relax before our trip to Danum. That said there were some good birds such as Blue-naped Parrot, Striated Heron, White-breasted Wood Swallow, Collared Kingfisher, loads of Green Imperial Pigeons and surprisingly two fly in Grey Imperial Pigeons(this is first time we have seen this away from the near shore Islands). Only other birds were Chestnut and Dusky Munia and Tree Sparrows.

Up at half past ridiculous as Sarah calls it, to get to the Airport at 04.30. Airport was in darkness, they had a power cut but emergency systems were working, but Self Service check-in was not: Still at that time on a Sunday morning place was pretty empty and we were checked in and at the Gate in plenty of time for our six o’clock flight, luckily we had a packed breakfast as all the restaurants and stalls were closed. Anyway early flight would hopefully pay-off with arrival at Lahad Duta by 7.15 and arrival at Danum Valley by 10.30 giving us nearly a full day here.

On the journey we spotted a Provost’s Squirrel and a Tufted Ground Squirrel and even managed an ID shot through the car.

On arrival, fortunately we had been upgraded to a deluxe room with a plunge bath on the balcony. We were introduced to Theo our guide for the next 4/5 days. We would going out with him at 3.30 but had the rest of the day at leisure. Theo asked us each for the Top 20 birds we would like to see so we gave him some obvious things like 5 out of six Pitta’s (we have seen Hooded) and some ridiculous ones we know were unlikely like Rail Babbler and Ground Cuckoo, he just wanted to plan logistics and give us a chance at key targets. Round the Lodge it was easy to see and photograph Bornean Spiderhunter, Yellow-rumped Flowerpecker, Spectacled Bulbul and Pacific Swallow with the chance of Forktails from the balcony. The first down pour at Danum came and went by 15.00

15.30 arrived and off we went, plan was to stick mainly to the path, that didn’t last long as we heard a Giant Pitta calling, and as we entered into the forest it seemed to be responding before it just went silent as we approached, better luck next time. We did start to see some decent birds including a few lifers; Black and Yellow Broadbill, Borneon Brown Barbet, Brown Fulvetta and Scaly-breasted Bulbul, with some other trip birds like, Grey-cheeked Bulbul, Moustached Babbler, Black Eagle before we heard our second Pitta of the day, there then followed an hours pursuit of the Black-Headed(crimson and Black) Pitta, we seemed to be right on top of it times but just couldn't see it in some really muddy and overgrown terrain, when I took a tumble slipping on a wet trail we agreed to go back to the main trail and head back to the lodge.

On the way back we added, Rufous-crowned Babbler, Dark-sided Flycatcher, Yelllow-breasted Flowerpecker, Red-eyed Bulbul and Glossy Swiftlet. Theo left us with a warning not to sit in the front seats seat on the night drive as there is a danger of a wasp sting as they are attracted to the spotlight, sure enough on our trip including*tonight* someone was stung on the face (tonight- on his eyelid).
Trip was going ok with Prevost’s Squirrel, the a couple of Red Giant Flying Squirrel’s before I shouted "STOP CAT" on our side of the truck was a Leopard Cat, I’m not sure if everyone on the truck saw it before it ran into the forest but sure nice* for those who did. I did ask about protocol to stop the truck, there isn’t one, guy with the spotlight is meant to see things but that doesn’t work when he is looking high in the trees and there is something on the ground.*

Only other sightings were another flying squirrel and an Owl SP (probable Brown Wood Owl) but as that would be a lifer we want to be certain, we look*tomorrow, still we went to bed reasonably happy, albeit me with a swollen elbow and a few bruises and bumps.

Tomorrow*is 6 for breakfast and off at 6.30

Last edited:
Title should also mention Bristlehead

Bristlehead was actually my number one target having missed it 9 years ago.

Theo left us with a warning not to sit in the front seats seat on the night drive as there is a danger of a wasp sting as they are attracted to the spotlight, sure enough on our trip including*tonight* someone was stung on the face (tonight- on his eyelid).
I was stung on the arm by a wasp on one of the night drives at Danum. Hurt like heck!

First full day at Danum (30th Anniversary -note Sarah was child bride)

First full day at Danum.

A lot of rain fell overnight but by first light there was an ethereal mist but the day looked set fair for a memorable wedding anniversary. Before breakfast I heard both Buffy Fish Owl and Bay Owl but neither approached when i called them in the half light.

We started up the main road directly away from the lodge and came across a newly fruiting strangler fig, the biggest surprise was to see an Adult male Helmeted Hornbill keeping everything away from his domain. What a first bird and lifer he looks positively prehistoric, we then had two more hornbills in Wreathed also new and Rhinoceros. The smaller birds were also pretty good with Blue-crownd Hanging Parrot, both Lesser and greater Leafbirds, and then in neighbouring tree we quickly added Spotted Fantail, Asian Fairy Bluebird before adding a couple of most sought after lifers in Chestnut-backed Scimiter Babbler and a Bornean Blue Flycatcher as things quitened down we made our way towards the canopy walk way.

I should mention that when i awoke this morning my knee was badly bruised and my right elbow had a lump the size of a cricket ball and i couldn't even carry my camera in my usual style, so I elected to leave the extender, spare body, monopod etc back in the room and travel light (hopefully you will see the relevance later), anyway back to the birds and we connected with Gold-whiskered and Red-throated Barbet before we heard the unmistakeable sound of Bristlehead, but despite calling it repeatedly we couldn't see the bird, but it seemed to be high on the trees near the upper walkway, an agonising climb was soon fogotten about when we quickly saw a juvenile bird albeit quite distantly from the second platform. Theo pointed out there was 4 or 5 birds but they were only visible from mid way (anyone who read our trip report to Ghana from earlier this year will know that Sarah missed some Brown cheeked Hornbills in just this situation but she wasn't about to do that here) and sure enough have way across the walkway we could see the birds well and even get a distant record shot despite the swaying. Other birds on the canopy were Bushy-crested Hornbill, Fiery Minivet and Thick-billed Green Pigeon.

On the way down we heard Diard's and Scarlet naped Trogons but neither came close we were more successful with Babblers and we saw Scaly-crowned, Chestnut-rumped and Fluffy-backed Tit Babbler.
It was then time to try for another Pitta. There was two birds calling and they seemed to come closer as we tried calling them, Theo said the bird must be in this area and squatted down to try to see it, Sarah tried the same technique but with my sore knee I couldn't bend so i just risked a muddy bum and sat down, and right there in front of me under a fallen log, so not visible to those looking down was a glorious male Blue-headed Pitta I watched and described where the bird, how it looked but I couldn't get Sarah and Theo on it I even tried using a laser pointer but I was useless with it, pointing aimlessly as i didn't want to take my bins off the bird, it slowly disappeared but all was not lost on the other side of the path a female appeared but shot off when i turned giving Sarah only a flight view, she wasn't happy at this point.

Fortunately the birds were coming thick and fast and a Banded Broadbill and Crimson-winged Woodpecker, both new, followed by Rufous piculet and Dark-necked Oriole. Then the Pitta called again and Theo was determined to get Sarah properly on it. After much calling he lay his phone on the path and tried to coax the birds across a little inter-section, first the female hopped across the opening in 5 bounds, photos were taken but in low light I didn't hope for much with no camera support and a relatively slow shutter speed but one has turned out pretty good, then the male decided to join the female hut flew over with just a very brief landing and disappeared into the vegetation. With that we started back for the lodge and even a late morning downpour didn't dampen our spirits.

Clarification!

First full day at Danum.

A lot of rain fell overnight but by first light there was an ethereal mist but the day looked set fair for a memorable wedding anniversary. Before breakfast I heard both Buffy Fish Owl and Bay Owl but neither approached when i called them in the half light.

We started up the main road directly away from the lodge and came across a newly fruiting strangler fig, the biggest surprise was to see an Adult male Helmeted Hornbill keeping everything away from his domain. What a first bird and lifer he looks positively prehistoric, we then had two more hornbills in Wreathed also new and Rhinoceros. The smaller birds were also pretty good with Blue-crownd Hanging Parrot, both Lesser and greater Leafbirds, and then in neighbouring tree we quickly added Spotted Fantail, Asian Fairy Bluebird before adding a couple of most sought after lifers in Chestnut-backed Scimiter Babbler and a Bornean Blue Flycatcher as things quitened down we made our way towards the canopy walk way.

I should mention that when i awoke this morning my knee was badly bruised and my right elbow had a lump the size of a cricket ball and i couldn't even carry my camera in my usual style, so I elected to leave the extender, spare body, monopod etc back in the room and travel light (hopefully you will see the relevance later), anyway back to the birds and we connected with Gold-whiskered and Red-throated Barbet before we heard the unmistakeable sound of Bristlehead, but despite calling it repeatedly we couldn't see the bird, but it seemed to be high on the trees near the upper walkway, an agonising climb was soon fogotten about when we quickly saw a juvenile bird albeit quite distantly from the second platform. Theo pointed out there was 4 or 5 birds but they were only visible from mid way (anyone who read our trip report to Ghana from earlier this year will know that Sarah missed some Brown cheeked Hornbills in just this situation but she wasn't about to do that here) and sure enough have way across the walkway we could see the birds well and even get a distant record shot despite the swaying. Other birds on the canopy were Bushy-crested Hornbill, Fiery Minivet and Thick-billed Green Pigeon.

On the way down we heard Diard's and Scarlet naped Trogons but neither came close we were more successful with Babblers and we saw Scaly-crowned, Chestnut-rumped and Fluffy-backed Tit Babbler.
It was then time to try for another Pitta. There was two birds calling and they seemed to come closer as we tried calling them, Theo said the bird must be in this area and squatted down to try to see it, Sarah tried the same technique but with my sore knee I couldn't bend so i just risked a muddy bum and sat down, and right there in front of me under a fallen log, so not visible to those looking down was a glorious male Blue-headed Pitta I watched and described where the bird, how it looked but I couldn't get Sarah and Theo on it I even tried using a laser pointer but I was useless with it, pointing aimlessly as i didn't want to take my bins off the bird, it slowly disappeared but all was not lost on the other side of the path a female appeared but shot off when i turned giving Sarah only a flight view, she wasn't happy at this point.

Fortunately the birds were coming thick and fast and a Banded Broadbill and Crimson-winged Woodpecker, both new, followed by Rufous piculet and Dark-necked Oriole. Then the Pitta called again and Theo was determined to get Sarah properly on it. After much calling he lay his phone on the path and tried to coax the birds across a little inter-section, first the female hopped across the opening in 5 bounds, photos were taken but in low light I didn't hope for much with no camera support and a relatively slow shutter speed but one has turned out pretty good, then the male decided to join the female hut flew over with just a very brief landing and disappeared into the vegetation. With that we started back for the lodge and even a late morning downpour didn't dampen our spirits.

Just in case anyone was concerned I was an entirely legal 18 when David met me and 21 when we married - so all grown up!

Sarah

Danum day 1 - continued

After* lunch I photographed the Bornean Spiderhunter on the wild banana flowers near our balcony. We also added Grey Wagtail, Blue-eared and Stork-billed Kingfisher from the river edge.

Our walk was due to start at 15.30 and as you have to put on boots and refill water bottles in the outside area, no shoes indoors, we got down 10 minutes early, i had just booted up when i heard someone say Fireback, I quickly ran over scanned and saw three adult Crested Firebacks out in the open, i thought about taking some photos but as this was a bird Sarah wanted I ran back and got her, fortunately just in time to see them before they went into the forest. We did see them again briefly on the boardwalk trail but this was easily the best sighting.

(Any observant readers will note I ran, its amazing what a long soak in the outdoor bath, some anti inflamatories and cocodamol will do when coupled with effect of chasing a new bird).

It was a bit overcast and humid this afternoon and it was noticeably quieter than this morning but still quite a few birds on thr fruiting tree and nearby best among them were Scaly-crowned Babbler, Black-headed Bulbul, Orange-bellied Flowerpecker and Great-racket-tailed Drongo. Up the road we had a nice Buff-necked Woodpecker and then our second Broadbill of the trip, again a lifer in Banded Broadbill which posed nicely. There were now a few claps of thunder and some distant lightning so we decided against the Canopy walkway and decided to find a troop of Maroon* Langurs(Red leaf monkey) we heard earlier, so on we went up the hornbill track but only got a hundred yards before we found a stunning and very obliging Red-naped Trogon that sat and let me take photos handheld in the forest understory until I had the settings right, we never did see the monkeys that day as in this area we also heard then saw Rufous-winged Philentoma, a White-crowned Shama, a Brown Fulveta, Black-naped Monarch, Striped Wren Babbler and Bold-striped Tit Babbler a really nice spell of birdwatching before the heavens opened.

For other wildlife we added Frilled-tree Lizard, Plain Pygmy Squirrel, Horse-tailed Squirrel and our first Tiger Leach (unfortunately on my leg at the end of the walk despite leach socks), despite horror stories of Tiger Leeches at Danum we didn'T have a major problem with just this one and one that I* pulled off Sarah the next day and a few others seen but not on us. That said there seemed to be some people really obsessed by them.

We decided not to do a walk or drive tonight as the lodge had arranged a bottle of fizz and a nice meal.

NOTE: I would never have thought of Danum and BRL as a romantic destination but there were quite a few couples on Honeymoon or celebrating occasions, so if you are in Malaysia you could easily* persuade a non birding partner to come for the Orangutans, monkeys and Spa treatment while you enjoy* a few days extra-ordinary birding.

Danum in search of Piita and Broadbill

After torrential rain all night it was a bright dry dawn with just some lingering mist as we set off. Theo and I had joked last night that the best weather for seeing Pittas was in morning sunlight after heavy rain as they like to readvertise their territory with all the changes due to fallen trees, new streams etc. Anyway we were about to put that to the test as we set off to find a calling Blue-banded Pitta. We were warned it would be a tricky hike after the rains with a climb up past the viewpoint and Coffin Cliff and then down to an old stream and climb to the top of the next hill. Incentive as well as the Pitta was chance of Green Broadbill, for some reason i can't explain, it is* higher on my target list than Whitehead's. So off we went and it all started well with a little group of Maroon Langur teaching the young to move from tree to tree they simply throw them and the youngster grabs the next tree -great fun! We had a nice Banded Broadbill on the climb up not as nicely marked as Black and Yellow but very photogenic. It was then very quiet until we decended into the valley where we had three lifers in a row firstly a White-crowned Forktail that flew back and forth then a Rufous-chested Flycatcher before a Banded Kingfisher did a fly by unfortunately we couldn't find the perched bird.

*Better still we could hear two pittas calling up the hill. One of the things i love about Pittas is that so many of them have a whistled call that can be easily learned and impersonated, that said despite whistling to lots of birds my success rate in actually seeing them is not great but that doesn't stop me trying. I could hear a Blue-banded Pitta up towards the top of the hill so off we went as quick as we could, but as we got closer we now heard a second bird just below us, but i commented to Theo it sounds like a person trying to call it but Theo said it was actually a Black-crowned Pitta calling to the Blue-banded, so we carried on trying to track the first bird, off wecwent on a very narrow side trail, i would never have spotted the bird but through a clump of leaves Theo spotted the bird, but the path was only wide enough for a single person, so i crawled forward and got on the bird, had a quick look at predominantly a red bird with his breast band of bright blue and then gave Sarah a look, a poor image was grabbed and the bird moved off but no sooner than we got back on the path than a pair of Green Broadbills perched up on a tree just above us what a morning. I was trying to get some decent shots of the Broadbill but the lighting was poor when Theo disappeared off to have a cigarette break further up the hill. He then suddenly whistled us and waved, we went up as quietly as we could and he pointed to the Pitta sitting on an branch in reasonable light and with almost no leaves in front, I couldn't believe my luck and got some nice shots of this Fabulous Blue-banded Pitta, poor Theo had left his camera back in his pack and the bird had moved down by the time he got back. Unbelieveably the Black-crowned Pitta was still calling as we walked back down, one whistle and he was on a log posing for a photo, we just looked at each other and thought the gods are on our side today. This was further emphasised by seeing a nice group of Orangutan on the walk back to lunch with two mothers holding young babiesh. This was certainly one of the most memorable nature watching sessions I can remember.
:t:

Danum afternoon and evening

So after this mornings great show I guess anything was likely to be a little bit of an anti-climax. We headed back to the canopy walkway via the fruiting fig tree. We had a very nice male Rufous-winged Philentoma, a Yellow-vented Flowerpecker, a Rufous-fronted Babblet, and the usual set of Bulbuls, including Spectacled, Red-eyed, Hairy-backed and Black-headed before we got a very bright Gold-whiskered Barbet and then some fly over Hornbills, Bushy-crested and Wreathed before a Rhinoceros Horbill landed but allowed only partial photographs. The other birds in abundance from the walkway were barbets, with Bornean Brown, Blue-eared and finally Yellow-crowned Barbet, a bird Theo said he had only seen twice here. With claps of thunder not that far away we devided to head back to the lodge along one of the trails wherebwe added Ferruginous Babbler, Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher, Verditer, Grey r Tree-Swift and Red-Throated Sunbird, then the heavens opened but fortunately we had taken brolleys so did not get too wet.

We arranged a night walk subject to weather but at the appointed time it was raining so heavy it was flooding part of the dining room, so we agreed to meet 30 minutes later when amazingly the rain had just stopped. Targets were owls and anthing else active, we didn't have to go too far for the Buffy Fishing Owl as incredible views were had of two birds fishing together on the edge of the river, the birds just waded along and grabbed a fish or a frog and then waited again, a great lifer. We were trying for Bay Owl, which I had heard a couple of times and which Theo had seen a few days before but despite and an exhaustive search there was no sign, Theo thought with the severe rain and large number of branches falling the bird had probably found a new roost / hunting spot. More disappointing was the lack of the Brown Wood Owl said be a certain tick around the football field or recycling area where they regularly hunt for rats, but tonight nothing not even a call, so hopefully it will be dry tomorrow.

On the way back we did find two more Buffy Fishing Owls in the trees hear the new chalets, we also had a beautiful sleeping Malaysian Blue Flycatcher. Other wildlife included a Tarantula, HorseTailed Squirrel* and a Plain Grass Frog.

Some details on guides at BRL. Included in the rate is the service of a guide but you could be groupedvwith general guest, one pair of british birders were very disapointed that their guide would not even try for good birds like Pittas and Broadbills because they were only of interest to birders (they did get Bristlehead though as because of the unusual call that was of interest to the group) better to ask up front to be paired with a birding guide and some other clients or just pay a little extra and get a guide for exclusive use.

Hmmm, always wondered about trying to do Danum, as we didn't go there. Not sure whether it would be worth the expense for me, as if I'd seen what you did with the guide, I'd have seen three new birds: Blue-headed and Blue-banded Pittas, and Bornean Blue Flycatcher. I guess apart from the flyc, the others are possible elsewhere?

The guide that took us to the Gomantong Caves from the Kinabatangan River said that Bay Owls were common in the oil palm plantations.

We had run out of days so had no time to look, but it might be a lead worth following up if you haven't already been there.

Cheers
Mike

It is a great place

Hmmm, always wondered about trying to do Danum, as we didn't go there. Not sure whether it would be worth the expense for me, as if I'd seen what you did with the guide, I'd have seen three new birds: Blue-headed and Blue-banded Pittas, and Bornean Blue Flycatcher. I guess apart from the flyc, the others are possible elsewhere?
We really enjoyed Danum but as you say not cheap

Thanks for the advice

The guide that took us to the Gomantong Caves from the Kinabatangan River said that Bay Owls were common in the oil palm plantations.

We had run out of days so had no time to look, but it might be a lead worth following up if you haven't already been there.

Cheers
Mike
But just too late as now in Sepilok

A relative let down

The good luck had to end and I guess this was our bad morning although everything is relative. We left early by van to get to a Great Argus display site and* nearby Banded Pitta territory, Theo had taken a old guy with not great eyesight to see the Argus and he had heard the Pitta at the same time, this was 8 days ago, so were very hopeful. Things started very fruifully with a pair of Chestnut-naped Forktail, we had heard this bird but this was a good lifer, we then had a pair of Diard's Trogons always one to keep Sarah happy. However as we approached the display area I was stung by a wasp (bloody painful for an hour or so) and Theo was covered in Tiger leeches, a braver man than I he lets them feed fully before dropping it into the leaf litter to breed - I pulled the ones we had off with a wet wipe.

We were still seeing birds Striped Wren Babbler, Rufous Winged Babbler, Bornean Flycatcher but eerie silence from the area we were heading to, then we heard the call of the Great Argus bur instead of being really close behind a log 40m away it was a good distance away, we walked up to the display area and far from being completely clear of leaves there was quite a few leaves and sticks around, Theo reckoned the display area had been abandoned for two days, a big disapointment as a lot of recent birders here had connected - so yet another heard only.
That was better than the Banded Pitta despite spending 3 hours looking and calling we did not hear even a distant call, in fact only the Giant Pitta was heard and he was very distant and did not respond to our whistles. As I said earlier success is all relative in birding and a Rufous Piculet, Buff-necked, Crimson-winged and Olive-backed Woodpeckers alongside, Greater Leafbird, Rhinoceros and Wreathed Hornbill and Dark-sided Flycatcher were all good birds.

The best sighting of the morning was probably Hose's Langur (Grey Leaf Monkey), we were looking at some Bushy-crested Hornbills, I said to Theo there are some Grey monkeys in that tree, they then showed really well a whole family and they swang around then vocalised, Theo was really excited* as this was only the second time he had seen this monkey at Danum and he had never heard it. He waved down a car leaving the lodge to show the passengers these rare monkeys, he then apologised for being so excited but I was really happy for him as i know how exhilerated we had been on some sighting he had helped us with.

This afternoon we were heading to the area around the Jacuzzi pond to pick up some birds we hadn't yet seen but with nothing specific in mind. On crossing the bridge we had nice views of some playful Red-leaf Monkeys, they were playing leapfrog on the bridge, there were also some Long-tailed Macaques. It was time for both Pale-blue and Large-billed Flycatcher to be added to the life list, then I heard a Black-crowned* Pitta call i whistled back a couple of times and the bird was quite close but Theo asked me not call it in as his friend was going to try to get the bird for some Japanese photographers who hadn't one yet. I was OK with that as we had seen another or**perhaps the same bird well yesterday but they didn't get the bird anyway* as it didn't respond when they tried to call it later - what it did show is that the guides as well as trying to keep clear of each other were agreeing not to target birds that were on someone elses schedule. Anyway on we go and we add Scaly-fronted Babbler, Black-bellied Malkoha, Blue-eared Kingfisher and a nicely perched Whiskered Tree Swift before finishing on Rufous -backed Kingfisher (Now split from Oriental Dwarf) but both would be new.

We agreed to go for a walk to try for Wood Owl after dinner rather than a drive, another passenger had been stung last night. Theo said that if the Owl showed he would interupt our dinner otherwise it was meet at 8.

Before dinner we actually head the Owl the other side of the river so I wasn't that hopeful. No one had seen the Owl on the earlier drive or walks but just as we started up the main path, a driver told Theo the bird had been seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back