• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boots or things for the feet (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
since some of you enjoyed the thread on anoraks.......

Ok what are a good pair of boots, shoes, whatever, for todays well kitted out birder? They need to be waterproof.

I'm not certain the cheapo green wellies have street cred! Effective in keeping my feet dry though.

Cheapo green wellies are the only one's to wear for "street cred",all others are "reject sloanes"

POP

I have a pair of Hawkins. I Love 'em and cherish 'em! Wash and clean them every time I get back from birding. Cool and warm at the same time! They've travelled the equivalent of twice round the world with me and STILL going strong. Nice boots.

i wear a pair of berghaus hiking boots (gore-tex) that are really comfortable and get better with age! tend to wear trainers though in the summer or if im not going anywhere 'hostile'.

Ooooohh a shoe thread!!!

I've got 3 pairs of Portugese walking boots from an Army surplus store in Burton.
They are Goretex and cost £20 a pair...I like my hush puppy sandals, but best of all
I've got my wellies...they are by royal appointment and I have actually seen her maj traipsing around Sandringham in a pair just like mine...size 13's too. ;)
You know what they say about men with big feet doncha?
Big feet...big wellies...yup, that's what they say....hahaha

Dave.

Watcha Pete

pair of Gore-tex, fairly lightweight boots - been everywhere over last four years and seem to be holding up amazingly

in summer and footy season a pair of Adidas Sambas usualy suffices - for the fashion concious birder (yes there's only one!) - or when an impromptu five-a-side breaks out....

Brasher Goretex walking boots for me at this time of year. Unless I'm going somewhere with several inches of water (Stodmarsh sometimes) then it is a pair of blue Hunter wellies, as I wouldn't be seen dead in green ones ;)

I've had a pair of Brashers for years. Not Gortex but well waxed and still waterproof. Just like well worn slippers, now.

Give it some

Green 'Dickies' Wellies at this time year when "thas lurds o' clarts"

Advantages:-
Easy on & off & Easy to clean..
Dry feet all day even when you've been over the heaps for Jack Snipe....
Dont have to worry about them getting wet, if they're covered in dog-**** & you've left them at the back door.....
Steel toe-caps great for making steps up steep, slippy banksides & discretely getting rid of unwanted dogs....
Great for a game of 'Hoy the wellie' if the birding is poor.....

Disadvantages:-
Tripod leg(s) can become lodged down boot(s)....
Can become seperated from the foot while following that snipe with unusual wing pattern too quickly....
Metal toecaps Set off airport detectors as you walk through.....
Derisory stares from 'bird spotters'.....

Also Tried various brands of Goretex boots, comfortable but never last long.
Used to live in Rigger work boots, been to the top of Cross Fell & walked up Cairngorm in them! Think if i tried it now id be in an ITU.
SE. Wellies Rule ;)

Thanks for all the advice here.

I'd never heard of Brasher or Karrimor before so with some trepidation I ordered Karrimor KSBs & Brasher quasars from M & M Sports (website here) - both are a real pleasure to walk in.
They are both UK based companies that appear think a bit about English feet - I've had three pairs of Hawkins (got them cheap) that were always toe pinchers.

The trepidation was due to (a) never heard of the brands (b) never heard of M&M Sports - both came good and the prices were excellent.

I think we've all got the idea now that warmth comes from cheap layers & fleece, inexpensive coat, hat, gloves - your feet though need extra attention & protection as wet/cold/sore ones are certain to curtail your birding day.

And in my bootbags are:

Dunlop Wellies - super comfy all year round wear, hard wearing & cheap.

Scarpa full grain leather walking boots - my go everywhere, do everything boots (needed NO breaking in at all - wonderful).

Berghaus Gore-tex lightweight walking boots - my summer specials.

It has to be comfort & fit first for me & these all work beautifully.

been yomping around in my latest pair of £5.99 green wellies from the garden centre,had em a month,they havent started to split yet.

having my trezeta walking boots glued back together tomorrow for the last time,when they are trashed i'm getting some brasher hill masters just like the dudes at titchwell!!

lord knows how long they will last,this mid norfolk boulder clay sticks to everything and sets like concrete.

matt

Last edited:
Bombproof Scarpa SL's for when the weathers harsh, cheapo leaky Peter Storm Scafell's for when it's better and Meindal sandals for on the flat.

As with endeavour of this kind, you simply equip yourself with the appropriate footwear for the weather and ground conditions! It's not rocket science :)

In my case it's usually a variety of permutations, depending on what the elements has to throw at me....if it's dry during summer, then ordinary lightweight walking boots (even the cheaper Hi-Tec types aren't too bad as they do their job) are fine. If I don't want to be clad too bulkily, then I too am quite happy to just walk about in a pair of trusty trainers (Adidas Sambas being my faves as well - though they don't offer the best "suspension" as they're flat indoor soccer/recreation shoes more than specifically designed walking/torsion trainers). If it's wetter but not completely mud-swamped or slippy, then a pair of my old DM boots does the job very well....

However, when the necessity for wellies arises due to more saturated/muddy conditions, I too find that sticking to the good old British-made black Uniroyal Argyll (now Hunter-affiliated) wellies with the red bands and comfy cushioned insoles more than does the job for me, or if the ground is more rugged, the steel-toe variant will offer even better protection - but I'd only advocate the latter for more strenuous activities like digging and stuff like that! Nothing beats the durability and comfort of a good old British-made black welly boot though of the Uniroyal/Gates or former BTR/Bullseye make (bit of a traditionalist am I, as I won't be seen dead in cheap PVC or green wellies!) . But the bad news is that not only are the old Argylls almost impossible to find now due to the market being taken over by the green Hunter, but any pairs you do come across are obscenely expensive. In fact I think they have just reintroduced a new variant of this boot based on the old classic shape/design but they appear flimsier and, needless to say, more expensive (see the Hunter's website). Now, in my view, only fools would think of forking out anything up to £40-50 just for a pair of wellies - no matter how good quality they are! Just as well I bought mine over 15 years ago when they were much cheaper (a mere £12) and more easily available from various outlets, and they have served me all this time!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back