• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Snow/ Ross's Goose, Sacramento River, California (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
Interested in your thoughts on the left hand bird of these two.

It looks to me to be significantly smaller and shorter-billed than the obvious Snow Goose on the left, making suspect it could be a Ross's Goose. But I understand that "blue" Ross's Geese are very rare.

So, given I have only seen both Snow and Ross's Geese once and that all such Ross's are likely Hybrids I'd welcome any insight into the ID of the right hand bird, and if it is Ross's whether it's possible to tell if its "Blue" or "Blue-ish".

Unfortunately there are no more pix of this individual.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC01565 Snow goose + ? @ Oakland.jpg
    DSC01565 Snow goose + ? @ Oakland.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 85
I am curious why people think these are both Snow Goose rather than both Ross's Goose. This is not the best view for distinguishing between them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back