• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird nesting - or what? (1 Viewer)

Gate

Just in the last two days, I have noticed the female blackbird which camps out in our garden pulling leaves off various bushes and trees and flying off with them into the thickest bit of the ivy before emerging sans leaves. So she's leaving the leaves in there somewhere. But is this nest-building? Dumb question, I suppose, but I have been wondering, because the leaves have all been fresh green ones. The ivy (which is a standard hedera helix, quite mature over a wall and fence so it's like a hedge) seems like a good place for a nest - well away from anywhere where the cats or squirrels go, out of the wind and weather, etc. Is there anyone more familiar with blackbirds' nesting habits than me who could shed some light? And should I be helping the lady out by putting out some nesting materials in a blackbird-accessible spot?

Hi 'Gate',
I should very much think that your Blackbird is building a nest.Mind you,'our' local pair have one fledged young already....
Harry

Yep, nest building. They use green leaves for two reasons, first camouflage, and second, because some leaves (and they know which, somehow!) are insecticidal, and help keep lice and fleas away from the nest

Michael

My Dad once found a Blackbird's nest in the middle of Stevenage Town centre, in a pavement planter, with young, in January!

She's definitely nest-building - even I can tell that now: she was taking twigs and dry leaves/grass in this morning. All the work is being done by the female, though: is that normal for blackbirds, or have we just got a Homer Simpson male?

She's just doing a spring clean!.
Like all women, she just stick anything she doesn't want in her version of the garage!.

either that, or, she's nest building!.

My Blackie's have been at it for a fortnight now my male seems to have done the lion's share. They too have picked a site in amongst the Evergreen Honeysuckle and Ivy that is on a climbing frame erected to hid the 600 gallon domestic oil tank. I believe the hen to be sitting as when my wife mowed the lawn on Sunday and got too close she flew out and scolded her. I am a bit worried about next doors five cats getting access via the oil tank.

Well, she was still grafting away this morning, while the male ate mealworms. Perhaps I should put out some beers and a TV so he can watch the footie while she tidies up....

Notable difference in reported behaviours. Nearly all females work their socks off but males differ significantly. I have a female building like mad for the last week. Her mate keeps a very careful lookout from adjacent trees and fences, and used "contact calls" to keep in touch. He varies his lookout according to where she is (gathering twigs, grass in the garden or mud and bits of plastic wrapper from the field just outside) He has had to see off several inquisitive magpies and a couple of nosy starlings.

his relationship with the magpies is interesting, since his best observation post is about 3m from a pair who are nesting in some overgrown hawthorn in the field next to my garden. A few inches out of position to see what his missus is doing, and he finds himself up against a fierce male magpie.

'Our' female Blackbird has been sitting in her nest for about three weeks, at least.
There are three eggs in there.
It is on top of a gas flue.
There has been absolutely no sign of a male at all.
What do you think?

Hatching Blackbirds

Michael Frankis said:
If they're not hatched in the next day or two, I'd guess they're infertile. It does happen to some unlucky birds, just like people.

Michael
Sorry to say, you must be right.
She has flown the nest.
Thank you for the information though,
Eileen

Our Blackbirds nested again this year in our holly but the magpies got the nestlings. She is now busy building a new nest in our neighbour's privet (which has been left to grow quite wild!). Nearly every year now she has ended up having to build at least three nests and the most fledged young we have ever seen has been three and last year only one survived. Considering blackbirds lay up to five eggs, this is quite a high mortality rate. Thankfully, there don't seem to be so many magpies around this year, most likely because the council have pollarded all the lime trees in the area where they have usually nested.

Hi,

Can anyone shed any light......a blackbird has been nesting in a shrub outside my kitchen window. There are two eggs in the nest and she has been sitting on them for over a week. However, I noticed yesterday evening she has gone and I haven't seen her today either. Does this mean the un-hatched chicks will die? We totally ignored that area of the garden purely because we didn't want to disturb her but am worried for the eggs.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Many thanks.

Seems to be lots of Blackbirds up on my allotment this year but not many magpies .Lets hope the Blackies can have a good year and make up some ground .There is a pair sitting tight in the conifers by the fence so must be due to hatch . Ive even seen the odd Song Thrush and a Wren with looking for lodgings happy days

Brown Darcey said:
Hi,

Can anyone shed any light......a blackbird has been nesting in a shrub outside my kitchen window. There are two eggs in the nest and she has been sitting on them for over a week. However, I noticed yesterday evening she has gone and I haven't seen her today either. Does this mean the un-hatched chicks will die? We totally ignored that area of the garden purely because we didn't want to disturb her but am worried for the eggs.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum, BD - it does sound as if the nest has been deserted for some reason, and anyway if she only laid 2 eggs that is pretty unusual too. Maybe her mate vanished, and she had to go off to find her own food? Sorry, but I think that is the end of the story. :eek!:

eileengard said:
Sorry to say, you must be right.
She has flown the nest.
Thank you for the information though,
Eileen

Remove the eggs if you haven't done so already and with any luck they will go for a second clutch. If you leave the eggs then they won't use the nest again and will build somewhere else.

thebirdcam said:
Remove the eggs if you haven't done so already and with any luck they will go for a second clutch. If you leave the eggs then they won't use the nest again and will build somewhere else.

I think this might be illegal! The following is from the RSPB website.

Blackbirds and the law
Blackbirds and their nests are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird. It is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a blackbird while it is being built or in use. It is therefore essential to ensure nests are not destroyed if hedge trimming or tree felling has to be carried out in the breeding season.
Source: Blackbird wildlife information leaflet (2002)

It does sound as if this nest has been deserted (though how can you be absolutely certain of this), in which case the above might not apply, but we had a strange experience in one of our bluetit boxes in 2002. If you look at our website, and read the diary where it refers to Box 2 (or look at the Summary page) you will see that 8 eggs had been laid when we saw a fight, and the nest was deserted. After 17 days, 3 more eggs were laid and eventually 6 eggs hatched.

Elizabeth Bigg said:
I think this might be illegal! The following is from the RSPB website.

Blackbirds and the law
Blackbirds and their nests are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird. It is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a blackbird while it is being built or in use. It is therefore essential to ensure nests are not destroyed if hedge trimming or tree felling has to be carried out in the breeding season.
Source: Blackbird wildlife information leaflet (2002)

It does sound as if this nest has been deserted (though how can you be absolutely certain of this), in which case the above might not apply, but we had a strange experience in one of our bluetit boxes in 2002. If you look at our website, and read the diary where it refers to Box 2 (or look at the Summary page) you will see that 8 eggs had been laid when we saw a fight, and the nest was deserted. After 17 days, 3 more eggs were laid and eventually 6 eggs hatched.

Yes Elizabeth is correct. It is too early to tell if the nest is deserted. Looks like this is just the beginning of egg laying...if this had been several days into incubation then the developing embrio would quickly die, however a newly layed egg can sit for sometime before incubation begins. I sure after several days if there is no sign of the birds and no more eggs and if it were me I would also quickly check that the eggs were not warm...if all this was confirmed I would be pretty certain that you had a deserted nest.

I think in your case above Elizabeth, what happened was the birds came back for a second try and the last 3 eggs layed the first time around had not had time to start incubating so started along with the 3 new eggs that had been laid....the first 5 eggs that were layed being part way through incubation died during that spell when the nest was deserted.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back