• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black headed gulls (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

As I was crossing the Thames this morning, I noticed that in the wheeling flocks of Black Headed Gulls, some had already developed their dark hood whereas others still only had the small dot, and some were half way in between.

Is this a bit early to be turning dark, or is it normal for different birds to develop the darker feathers at different times?

No, it isn't early, and yes, it is normal for different birds to develop the darker feathers at different times.

Last edited:
I was wondering about variation in when the plumage changes and was wondering if an earlier-attained summer plumage is a help or a hindrance from a natural selection point of view (or if it makes a difference at all). And do those individuals that gain the black head earlier lose the black head earlier after the breeding season?

Does anyone know...?

Been reading up on BH gulls moulting starts into winter plumage anytime between June -Oct.A small minority retain there summer head to early Oct and sometimes into winter.Adults start to moult into summer plumage including head from late Jan -early Feb.Also head moult is often delayed for some weeks after a severe winter and in mild winters head moult starts in mid/late Dec.

I had a single dark-hooded BHG yesterday at Seahouses harbour in with dozens of others which all still retained their winter plumage. Was kicking myself for forgetting my camera as I could have got a fabulous photo! :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back