• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-eared Wheatear, Malta (1 Viewer)

Gladiator96

Photographed last April. Struck me as unusually dark in the field (dark crown, nape, and mantle).

Perhaps it could be of the rarer western subspecies which should have more ochre according to collins.

I would appreciate any comments.

033 (Medium).JPG032 (Medium).JPG

This paper (https://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal/pdf/DB_2003_25_2.pdf) states that some atypical melanoleuca may have a deep ochre crown, mantle and nape and therefore colouration of the upperparts should not be considered alone.

I have attached 2 crops of the same photos. The black seems to extend above the bill and the eye. Also the primary projection seems rather long to me (but this may be subjective). I'm thinking this may be one such atypical melanoleuca.

033-001.JPG032-001.JPG

well, could be, on balance. i've seen some 2cy melanoleuca all of which had dirty grey rather than a buff tone on the pale hindneck and mantle area. but the crops show it isn't really a warm tone, indeed. black on throat is extended as well but some hispanica can be virtually identic in that respect.

Looks about right. What do you think about the primary projection?

I see them shortish, perfect for hispanica. However, I'm not sure I want to argue against Brian Small who is a far more knowledgeable birder than I'm. I will keep following the thread to see if we can reach a consensus.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back