• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (1 Viewer)

Does anyone know if sightings from Algarrobo Watchpoint are published anywhere? Species, numbers, dates, times of passage etc. Thanks.

Hi John, thought someone would have answered this by now. I'll email a birding friend in Estepona and see if he can find out!

We tried to visit La Janda in January from the Facinas road and I managed to get our hire car stuck in the mud within the first half mile, had to get a breakdown truck to get me out. The next day tried from the Benalup end and managed to get a few miles in before the mud made me see sense and stop. Then walked a mile or so but unfortunately did not see any cranes. Can anyone advise if I was in the right areas or is there another entrance?

We will be returning in January 2017.

We tried to visit La Janda in January from the Facinas road and I managed to get our hire car stuck in the mud within the first half mile, had to get a breakdown truck to get me out. The next day tried from the Benalup end and managed to get a few miles in before the mud made me see sense and stop. Then walked a mile or so but unfortunately did not see any cranes. Can anyone advise if I was in the right areas or is there another entrance?

The Facinas route has been impassable in anything other than a 4x4 for some time although approaching from Benalup is usually OK with care. I've attached a map which should help. I've never had a problem driving in from the N 340 (Note Las Lomas estate is strictly private & I'm not sure the track south of Tahivilla is legit although a booklet on the area suggests it is - I drew the map for an article which makes this clear)

If you've not already got a copy then PM me with your email address so I can send you my birding notes on Cadiz province. If you're going in January & you have an interest beyond birds alone then you might want to check if the Crossbill guide to western Andalucia has been published - although I must confess that I had a hand in producing it so I'm biased.

Attachments

• LaJandaABS.jpg
    LaJandaABS.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 60

The entrances from Zahara and Vejer were both fine when I was there last month, and I drove most of the way to Benalup. The track along the main channel is generally kept in reasonable condition because of all the agricultural vehicles. They were just starting the rice harvest and those fields were attracting most of the birds.

Jon and John thank you for the map and information, I am intending to hire a 4 x 4 in January and will try The entrances from Zahara and Vejer, and John I will PM you.

Jim

Hi folks. A friend and will be flying into Malaga in mid-January when we will have a few days for birding ahead of an attempt to find Iberian Lynx in Sierra de Andujar. We were thinking of spending those days on your patch so I'd like to ask your advice on which sites would be the best options at that time of year. I have a loose wish-list of birds I'd like to catch-up with if possible, namely Marbled Duck, Lesser Flamingo and Little Swift. I realise that all of these are long-shots but recommendations for sites that would give us the best chance of any of these and/or some good all-round birding would be appreciated.

Stuart

Hmm. Probably John C's info will be helpful with this.

Marbled Duck - on the saltpans around Trebujena on the Guadalqivir. Long drive. Not sure about January.

Little Swift - may be resident at the mouth of the Guadalqivir around the town (John?)

Lesser Flamingo - Fuente de Piedra? Saltpans around Cadiz? I have a Spanish friend (birder and ringer) from Cadiz working locally here in N Devon, I'll ask him on Tuesday if we go ringing.

Marbled Duck - on the saltpans around Trebujena on the Guadalqivir. Long drive. Not sure about January.

Little Swift - may be resident at the mouth of the Guadalqivir around the town (John?)

Lesser Flamingo - Fuente de Piedra? Saltpans around Cadiz? I have a Spanish friend (birder and ringer) from Cadiz working locally here in N Devon, I'll ask him on Tuesday if we go ringing.

Unless there is a serious amount of rainfall Fuente de Piedra is a write-off. It was dry as a bone when I flew into Malaga at the end of August and I was told by various people that the flamingos had failed to breed at all this year.

I had Marbled Duck on the same trip and also in 2015 at the pools at the north end of Bonaza. Laguna Tarelo at the south end of Algaida Forest nearby is also a good spot for them.

I agree that little swift is resident at Chipiona at the mouth of the Guadalquivir. When Rare Birds Spain used to record them I recall a record of them at the lighthouse on New Years Day a few years ago.

Also: try checking the website. Rarebirdsspain. It keeps abreast of all the national rarities, and any Lesser Flamingos will be reported there.

I'll send you the latest version of my notes anon, but I think Jon's summed the situation up well.
Marbled Duck are a lot scarcer in winter and are probably more dispersed than in spring/summer/early autumn. Laguna Tarelo, 'Bonaza Pools' & pools along the road beside the Guadalquivir SW from Trebujena are probably your best bet although any of the area's shallow lagoons are worth a look.
Little Swift should still be around at the mouth of the Guadalquivir as they remain through the winter but once again are fewer in number in winter.
If they're not at Fuente de Piedra Lesser Flamingo are a real needle-in-haystack affair since they could be anywhere that has Flamingo - unlike the other two probably not worth going out of your way to search for but worth keeping in mind if you are somewhere with plenty of their commoner cousins. There seem to be rather few records from Bonanza area and I'm not at all sure offhand that they've been seen in Cadiz Bay at all.

Update on what I wrote a couple of days ago. It appears recent rains have put a bit of water into Fuente de Piedra. As I said the lake was bone dry at the end of August, as were the nearby lagunas around Campillos. I've just seen a report of a lesser flamingo at Fuente de Piedra on 28th October, with video of it feeding in a couple of inches of water with greater flamingos.

Thanks for the information so far folks, it sounds like the Guadalquivir area, the Bonanza pools and Laguna Tarelo should certainly be on our itinerary. Are there any recommendations for other sites which should have a good variety if birds at that time of year? Would Coto Donana be worth the effort in January?

Thanks again,

Stuart

Stuart, Re Little Swift; I saw Little Swift on two consecutive days in January 2016 around our hotel on the outskirts of Jerez

Car Hire Blues

For several years now I've been using Do You Spain as agents for car hire on my frequent visits to the various parts of Spain. In the past they have seemed to fit the bill and they helped out a couple of years ago when RecordGo included a clause in the small print that meant that their car, although on 'unlimited mileage' hire had to be returned after 2000km for a replacement, otherwise an exorbitant charge of 2 or 3 euros would be levied per km over the 2,000. I had already slightly over-run the 2000 on a three week hire when a friend with a car from the same company drew it to my attention. The fact that my digs were 150km from the airport made the problem even more worrying.

I think I mentioned it on this thread at the time.

Well something has changed, it seems. Last August/September I used Do You Spain again for my three week hire as usual, but I hired a larger car this time - a Doblo - to take advantage of the sliding rear passenger doors. When I returned it to the hire company, Marbesol, just outside Malaga airport at the end of the three weeks I was quite pleased that the interior of the car was cleaner than on previous visits. The car design meant that less dust was sucked in through open windows than usual, particularly since my holiday digs was a farm cottage at the end of a 500m track. The exterior of the car wasn't in too bad a state either, especially for a long hire. Photo below just before I set off for the airport.

On that month's credit card statement I was puzzled that a deduction had been made without explanation by Marbesol - only £17 and a bit, but I wanted to know why. I got in touch with Do You Spain and asked for an explanation. After two or three weeks they got back to me saying that it had been 20 Euros for 'additional cleaning'.

I replied, giving them photos of the car and demanded that the unauthorised payment be repaid. It wasn't the 17 quid - it was the principle. They got back onto Marbesol, but they weren't budging. They even claimed that the payment couldn't have been unauthorised, since these things were always brought to the customer's attention at the time. This in itself was a downright lie - when I handed the keys back their operator looked around the car, took the mileage and said 'That's fine'. I then stood for several minutes next to the door of their office cabin waiting for their minibus - nothing else was said. We left thinking that was that.

Emails have bounced back and forward for over two months. Today I've had yet another email from Do You Spain. Saying that Marbesol are refusing to stump up. They are also apparently of the opinion that the dispute is nothing to do with them, even though they are the hire agent. This is what they say this morning;

'Thank you for your kind patience.

We have received a final reply from Marbesol. According to what they say the cleaning charge is an issue between the customer and the rental company and the charge is made directly in front of the customer. Therefore, as they say, they don't need proof of the condition of the car as the customer is informed at that moment and knows how the car was returned.

We apologize for any inconvenience but unfortunately the rental company will not make any refund.

Kind regards
Irene Felguera
DoYouSpain.com
'

I'm posting this as a warning for anyone who is thinking of using Marbesol at any time for their hires. And also as a warning not to expect any protection from Do You Spain in the event that their hire company falls below the standard expected.

Attachments

• IMG_2223-800web.jpg
    IMG_2223-800web.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back