• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds With No Feathers On Their Heads (1 Viewer)

Hello to all. I live in Western NC (the Piedmont) and within the past couple of months have noticed birds at my backyard feeders with no feathers on their heads. A cardinal, a bluejay and a raven. I'm in my mid-40's and have never noticed birds looking like this. I'm a bit alarmed as to what may be causing this condition, and if it is contagious to other birds as well as humans. Thanks.

If they are not going through a molt, it sounds as thought they are infested with mites which do a good job of clearing the feathers off a birds head.

Hello to all. I live in Western NC (the Piedmont) and within the past couple of months have noticed birds at my backyard feeders with no feathers on their heads. A cardinal, a bluejay and a raven. I'm in my mid-40's and have never noticed birds looking like this. I'm a bit alarmed as to what may be causing this condition, and if it is contagious to other birds as well as humans. Thanks.
Yesterday, I noticed a Blue Jay with a bad haircut, missing numerous feathers. Also noticeable are Cardinals in all stages of coloring and feathering, lacking full tails and scruffy heads. I think it’s the time of year for young birds to be molting from immature feathers to adult plumage.
I’ve heard chickens lose feathers due to heat stress. I don’t know if that applies to songbirds as well.
Though mites could cause “balding“ birds, I would guess that’s not likely over the range of species you mention.

Ravens never pass close enough in our yard to count head feathers. Are you possibly seeing Crows?

Steve
Asheville, NC

I'm not sure. I thought that ravens were bigger than crows. Sometimes in the back yard we'll have a pack of five or six large black birds that tiptoe around the yard (very jumpy - take off at the slightest sound or shadow). It has been very hot here this summer so I too was thinking that maybe the heat is the real culprit. Even non-bald birds (some finches, cardinals, sparrows) look "shaggy", with loose feathers

If they are not going through a molt, it sounds as thought they are infested with mites which do a good job of clearing the feathers off a birds head.

Yeah I was worried about mites. I have a coworker who told me that she had a bluebird build a nest in her ventilation system and the mites got into her apartment. She had to evacuate for a few days an have an exterminator fumigate the apartment. I don't want to catch mites from bald birds, if that is even possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back