• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Sweeoo call

Not sure where your going with this John? Iv'e spent probably 5 days on site & only 1 day when i've not heard any call & when they have its been just a typical tristis call no alternative call! Both my blogs now have record shots of 2 of the 3 birds present.........

Dave

Hi Dave,
Last Sunday morning I was watching a Siberain Chiffchaff on plumage and was hearing a low ''sweeoo'' call this was by the bridge over the river behind the Wincanton building (Stobart lorries in carpark). The only other explanation was an unseen Common Chiffchaff calling.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Belvide Chiffchaff

A Chiffchaff at Belvide in Staffordshire post December 20, 2012 Belvide Blog, Eastern Chiffchaff update, picture on Blog, the photo was seen by Alan Dean and Alan said the plumage was that of Siberian Chiffchaff, however it was described as giving a 'Huit ' call on the blog. http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/Belvide84/

Regards, John

A better photo of this bird on the Belvide Blog posted 1.12.12 John

Hi Dave,
Last Sunday morning I was watching a Siberain Chiffchaff on plumage and was hearing a low ''sweeoo'' call this was by the bridge over the river behind the Wincanton building (Stobart lorries in carpark). The only other explanation was an unseen Common Chiffchaff calling.

Regards, John

John after this week when I & 2 others + yourself were watching the 2 birds we could all here common chiffchaff (Which was calling louder but not seen!) but was further down from the Sibes (Which were both calling) would be the easy explanation rather than the (sibe on plumage as you put it) calling like a Chiffchaff ?

Dave

Wintering Chiffchaffs

John after this week when I & 2 others + yourself were watching the 2 birds we could all here common chiffchaff (Which was calling louder but not seen!) but was further down from the Sibes (Which were both calling) would be the easy explanation rather than the (sibe on plumage as you put it) calling like a Chiffchaff ?

Dave

How would you explain the Belvide Bird Dave and others as mentioned on Birding Frontiers. John

How would you explain the Belvide Bird Dave and others as mentioned on Birding Frontiers. John

Whats the Belvide bird or any on BF gotta do with the Ladywalk birds John?

I think you need to make your own mind up rather than questioning stuff on blogs that youv'e never seen! Your very quick to say certain people say this or that,this blog says this or that! I have my own opinions & don't need so called experts to examine every bird I see (But i always value theyr'e input if needed)

Dave

Last edited:
Ladywalk Chiffchaffs

Whats the Belvide bird or any on BF gotta do with the Ladywalk birds John?

I think you need to make your own mind up rather than questioning stuff on blogs that youv'e never seen! Your very quick to say certain people say this or that,this blog says this or that! I have my own opinions & don't need so called experts to examine every bird I see (But i always value theyr'e input if needed)

Dave

The Siberian Chiffchaff at Ladywalk are here temporarily so they are not associated with Ladywalk and Warwickshire only, sources stated are from respected experienced Birders Steve Nuttlall Belvide Birding, Alan Dean and Martin Garnenr at Birding frontiers. A county recorder does not see every bird recorded in a year in a County so takes information from other birders most he deems reliable but some are not, also birders can genuinely make a mistake which is quite easy to do with such a large field of knowledge with birding. Therefore every WMBC bird club report would have a percentage of incorrect information and mistakes.
Alan Dean having studied into Chiffchaffs with an artcicle in British Birds 7 years ago, has done a lot to uncover information regarding these birds (with the help of others). And as Alan will tell you there is a lot more to learn, Alan said he will publish more details in the future when people in Russia he comunnicates with publish more details.

Regards, John

The Siberian Chiffchaff at Ladywalk are here temporarily so they are not associated with Ladywalk and Warwickshire only, sources stated are from respected experienced Birders Steve Nuttlall Belvide Birding, Alan Dean and Martin Garnenr at Birding frontiers. A county recorder does not see every bird recorded in a year in a County so takes information from other birders most he deems reliable but some are not, also birders can genuinely make a mistake which is quite easy to do with such a large field of knowledge with birding. Therefore every WMBC bird club report would have a percentage of incorrect information and mistakes.
Alan Dean having studied into Chiffchaffs with an artcicle in British Birds 7 years ago, has done a lot to uncover information regarding these birds (with the help of others). And as Alan will tell you there is a lot more to learn, Alan said he will publish more details in the future when people in Russia he comunnicates with publish more details.

Regards, John

John What are you on? Firstly the Sibe Chiffchaffs are associated with Ladywalk/Warks (yes we all get that theyr'e migrants in the wrong place!)
secondly youv'e not answered my 1st question or second 1.where are you going with your statement? Post 339 & 344 (Are you questioning the ID as you seem to imply youv'e heard a bird giving a collybita call which matched a Siberian plumaged Chiffchaff {your words} that you saw down the river?)
2. What has the Belvide or on Martins site got 2 do with the ladywalk birds
(& for the record i don't believe Steve N even mentioned Sibe Chiffchaff in his Belvide report for the pale chiffchaff?)
Finally if you kept upto date Alans work on BB was great but a lot was focussed on Abientinus which by his own admission is now incorrect going on DNA!!

Take your time on the reply i'm sure you would like to look at the available material on blogs/websites/Birding Frontiers etc

Dave

Siberian Chiffchaff

John What are you on? Firstly the Sibe Chiffchaffs are associated with Ladywalk/Warks (yes we all get that theyr'e migrants in the wrong place!)
secondly youv'e not answered my 1st question or second 1.where are you going with your statement? Post 339 & 344 (Are you questioning the ID as you seem to imply youv'e heard a bird giving a collybita call which matched a Siberian plumaged Chiffchaff {your words} that you saw down the river?)
2. What has the Belvide or on Martins site got 2 do with the ladywalk birds
(& for the record i don't believe Steve N even mentioned Sibe Chiffchaff in his Belvide report for the pale chiffchaff?)
Finally if you kept upto date Alans work on BB was great but a lot was focussed on Abientinus which by his own admission is now incorrect going on DNA!!

Take your time on the reply i'm sure you would like to look at the available material on blogs/websites/Birding Frontiers etc

Dave

Dave, I would say they are migrants in the right place, Siberian Chiffchaff regularly winter in Britain and to find an insect rich site even in hard weather is the right place to be. Studying birds from different areas in this country or other countries is a way to build up knowledge of these birds, if you only studied those birds in Warwickshire you would have only a few examples.
Post above Saturday 12/1/13 I was the first person to positively identify on plumage and Bullfinch type call Siberian Chiffchaff and noted a similiar plumaged bird present. I put the news out which enabled experiended birder Paul Hyde to see his first Siberian Chiffchaff in this Country and also bought in photographers to the area yourself and Bob Duckhouse and other birders to see the birds.
Post Sunday 13/1/13 Further up the river behind Wincanton warehouse (which contains Stobart lorries) at SP20480 91436 I watched a Siberian Chiffchaff plumaged bird at close range feeding in low brambles for 1/2 an hour, I could hear a low ''Sweeoo'' note which I assumed came from the Siberian Bird (after contacting Alan Dean, Siberian Chiffchaff can make this note) or may have been an unseen Collibita bird.
Alan Dean's articles have been produced a few years ago and will be up-dated in the future when more details have come through from research in Russia. Martin Garner's up to date recent article show's Siberian Chiffchaff making various calls but Alan Dean said generally these are rare. Steve Nuttall only suggested Eatern Race bird, it was Alan Dean who identified the bird as a Sibe from photo's on Steve's blog. Alan has seen many pictures of Siberian Chiffcaff after serving for 1 year on the BBRC tristis panel and still receiving e-mails from all over on this subject.
On the Thursday 17/1/13 I was again at Ladywalk and met yourself, you said you had been there all day Wednesday and not seen a Siberian Chiffchaff, later in the day you managed to photograph those 2 Siberian Chiffchaff together in Willow over-hanging the river on the opposite side to the Ladywalk track. I then discovered the birds were feeding along the wall which enabled you to get the rest of your photographs that are now on show on the internet. Adam Archer was present also, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and a common Chiffchaff were present the comon Chiffchaff gave a loud ''huit'' I was the only person to get a vis on it. I heard 1 Siberian which gave a Bullfinch type call. I later went into the reserve
for Bittern and Adam Archer came into the hide and said both sibe's were giving the Bullfinch types call.
I said to a chap in the hide that Dave Hutton was on the track all day yesterday freezing his balls off, he did not see any Siberian Chiffchaff, but all the time the Sibes were yards away feeding on the wall below, but Dave did not know, the chap chuckled to himself.

Regards, John

Siberian Chiffchaff

John,

I think you will find it was Martyn Yapp who 1st positively put the ID on the Sibe on call & plumage on the 1st!!!

Dave

Dave,
Extract from Martyn Yapps blog Adult Plumage
Knowing what these birds are like and in all honesty what we managed to get on the bird apart from the very distinctive call it will no doubt just remain a probable, which in a way is disappointing as we saw this bird on the way down the track and could have spent a lot more time with it.
This was on January 1st, quick thinking by Martyn got some shots of the bird but unfortunately they were not showing the right points, I sent these pictures to Alan Dean who served on the BBRC Tristis panel for 1 year to asertain the rarity of Siberian Chiffchaff, Alan said nothing could be positively identified from these pictures.
Therefore if you put probable to the County Recorder, you are in doubt of the identification of the bird so the County recorder would have no confidence in the record and throw it out, with no other evidence like good photo's. I went looking for the probable Sibe Chiffchaff after this knowing that Martyn is a competent birder, however I did not see the bird ( we now know the Sibes spend most of the time feeding along the river wall after insects).
Another report by reliable birder Peter Sofley (details Tame Valley Birding 9/1/13) of 4 Chifchaff and one giving a Bullfinch type call (however a Bullfinch type call on it's own does not identify a Chiffchaff as a Siberian Chiffchaff.
This sighting then encourage myself to look again and on the 12/1/12 I saw the full suite of characters on 2 birds and 1 gave a distinctive Bullfinch type call. I put the news out which has lead to experienced birders seeing the birds including Alan Dean and some nice photo's taken.
I am pleased that Martyn's original record of Probable Siberian Chiffchaff should have no trouble in being excepted by the Warwickshire County Recorder now.

Regards, John

I can confirm I saw 3 Siberian Chiffchaff on the 12/1/13 one was feeding in the small elders to the right just past the large padlocked gate, this bird flew to the near bank of the river and dis-appeared (to feed under the bank). I went closer to have a look that day but did not see the bird again, then I looked back to the Ladywalk track to see 2 Siberian Chiffchaff high in the Hawthorns. Details of the observation were sent that day to Alan Dean, also the same day I mentioned the sightings to Paul Hyde when he arrived on site at Ladywalk. Details have been forwarded to the Warwickshire County Recorder.

Regards, John

Shustoke late afternoon. Common Gull, Goldeneye(f), and a white winged gull! Not sure on species for the latter. Usual numbers of Pochard, Tufted etc., and Goosander.

Brian J

Pale Chiffchaff

Pictures taken of a pale Chiffchaff by Dave Hutton at Hams Hall sewer outflow yesterday 3 pictures on West Midlands Birding Facebook and 1 picture on Tame Valley Birding named as Common (Collibita Chiffchaff). In my opinion this is an Eastern race Chiffchaff with many characterisics of Siberian Chiffchaff Fluvescent. Would be interesting to hear this bird call.

Regards, John

Last edited:
27/1/13 Ladywalk today the usual place to see the Sibes on the wall above the water due to flooding was mostly under water, however the warmer weather that caused the snow to melt also caused a hatch of small insects which could be seen flying about and the Sibes were flycatching these in adjoining scrub.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back