• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Nightjar Ladywalk

Flushed from the ground by warden John Alton during maintainance work, the Nightjar relocated 45 feet up in a Willow Tree at the edge of Rudd pool. In the afternoon it was '' churring a little''. Towards dusk it appeared to go into a deep sleep then at dusk it awakened opened and closed his mouth five times showing a wide gape, stretched it's wings showing the white wing marks of a male, then at 21:29 flew into the direction opposite the pool, no doubt hunting in the rides created at the reserve.
Locating at Ladywalk probably due to an insect rich site whereas on the heaths and moors insect life would have been put on hold with the recent weather, but should change in the next few days.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 050#001.jpg
    050#001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 62
Turtle Dove

I saw (and heard) a Turtle Dove on Sunday afternoon at Chesterton near Leamington Spa. It was on the Kingston Farm estate (which is open to the public).

Park by Chesterton Church or the farm estate entrance and proceed through the gate to the last fishing lake on the right hand side (SP362572) where it was calling and showing from the tarmac driveway.

Regards,

Alan

I saw (and heard) a Turtle Dove on Sunday afternoon at Chesterton near Leamington Spa. It was on the Kingston Farm estate (which is open to the public).

Park by Chesterton Church or the farm estate entrance and proceed through the gate to the last fishing lake on the right hand side (SP362572) where it was calling and showing from the tarmac driveway.

Regards,

Alan

Sounds like the same area as one present last year ,a good record in recent years.

Red Kite in N Warks?

Hi, New bloke here. Not a real twitcher but take an interest in our local birds and any we see on holiday. I live near Nuneaton, towards Harshill. Anyway, Thursday afternoon all pandemonium broke out in the large trees in the field behind us - flocks of wood pigeons and the local crows took off, followed by the starlings and sparrows etc. Looking up I saw what I assumed was another buzzard, except this was flying lower and looked to be a bit larger. More particularly it had a pronounced forked tail, and long individual feathers at the wing tips.

To me it looked like a red kite, as I've seen several down Oxford way, but do they come this far north?

Red Kites

Hi, New bloke here. Not a real twitcher but take an interest in our local birds and any we see on holiday. I live near Nuneaton, towards Harshill. Anyway, Thursday afternoon all pandemonium broke out in the large trees in the field behind us - flocks of wood pigeons and the local crows took off, followed by the starlings and sparrows etc. Looking up I saw what I assumed was another buzzard, except this was flying lower and looked to be a bit larger. More particularly it had a pronounced forked tail, and long individual feathers at the wing tips.

To me it looked like a red kite, as I've seen several down Oxford way, but do they come this far north?

Red Kites are being seen more regulary in the Hartshill area, I saw one yesterday.

Regards, John

Yesterday 24 Adult Common Tern's feeding and loafing at Shustoke Reservoir most birds probably first nest failed attempts in the mid-Tame valley and cannot re-nest with the constant flooding. KWP North used to have the largest inland breeding colony of Common Tern in Britain, the sign saying that was taken down on from Canal pool after 2 years of severe flooding devasted numbers. This year would appear to be another null year, they used to breed on an island at Dosthill lake where they were safer from flooding however this island was lost when the new bunds went in.

Regards, John

Can anyone help I would like to find a map of the Kingsbury Water Park lakes so I can download it so as to have a good idea of where the hides are and which way is best from the nearest bus stop.
I will be travelling by public transport so any information would be great travelling from Halesowen B63

Kind Regards

BCB

Can anyone help I would like to find a map of the Kingsbury Water Park lakes so I can download it so as to have a good idea of where the hides are and which way is best from the nearest bus stop.
I will be travelling by public transport so any information would be great travelling from Halesowen B63

Kind Regards

BCB

All the hides are on Cliff Pool at the north-western side of the complex. Why not make a day of it and walk up the canal to RSPB Middleton Lakes?

http://countryparks.warwickshire.gov.uk/bird-watching/

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...693,0.072956&z=13&t=m&iwloc=near&source=embed

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back