• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Warwickshire (2 Viewers)

Pic and info on my blog of Night Heron. It seems it was sold by Arnhem Zoo to a UK buyer. We have provided ring number which they will cross check. My guess is Twycross ;-)

Pic and info on my blog of Night Heron. It seems it was sold by Arnhem Zoo to a UK buyer. We have provided ring number which they will cross check. My guess is Twycross ;-)

I rang Twycross on Thursday afternoon and they were unaware that they had any Night Herons in the zoo.

I rang Twycross on Thursday afternoon and they were unaware that they had any Night Herons in the zoo.

When trying to establish the origin of the Earlswood bird last year, apart from Twycross I could only find two other local zoos that had Night Herons, namely Cotswold Wildlife Park and Blackbrook Zoo, the latter of which is rumoured to have had birds of other species escape last year. I don't know if there's any way of knowing if any are kept in private collections?

Matt

Latest on the Night Heron is that the bird was hatched at Burgers' Zoo,Arnhem on 18th April 2009 & transferred to Twycross Zoo,Leics on 18th October 2009!! Twycross were not aware it had escaped untill this morning (25/1/12) when a phone call was made to the person in charge of the birdhouse where the egrets/Herons are housed!!!!

Had Red Kite Over Thurleston by Draycote today & the Iceland Gull on the shore in Biggin this afternoon.

Mike.

Decided to have a walk round Whitacre heath N R today,the usual tits,G S Woodpeckers,flushed a Snipe,was just about to go into the feeder hide hoping for Redpolls when i noticed a Redwing hanging from a branch,it had cotton or something wraped round it's foot,i couldn't free it on site so took it to my moms and we free'd its foot(which seemed fine)there have been plenty of Redwings about her garden so i decided to release it there,it bit my finger,crapped in my hand and flew off,now that's gratitude for cutting short my birding trip !

Decided to have a walk round Whitacre heath N R today,the usual tits,G S Woodpeckers,flushed a Snipe,was just about to go into the feeder hide hoping for Redpolls when i noticed a Redwing hanging from a branch,it had cotton or something wraped round it's foot,i couldn't free it on site so took it to my moms and we free'd its foot(which seemed fine)there have been plenty of Redwings about her garden so i decided to release it there,it bit my finger,crapped in my hand and flew off,now that's gratitude for cutting short my birding trip !
nice one mick, you will be rewarded with a goodie at Upton
KRO johnB :)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back