• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

I managed to count the common gulls today...1800 was the final tally. Also good numbers of herring gulls in the harbour including quite a few large, dark mantled argentatus types.

The big surprise was a juv Pom skua that sauntered north past the foghorn...very nice. A little more frustrating were 6 buntings that bounded south out to sea. I'd have put my mortgage on the being laplands but they were just too far out.

Also 11 lapwing and 4 snipe in Nigg bay.

This will be my last Ness update of the year as I'm heading back offshore in a few days...so while I'm here, merry christmas to all readers of 'Birds fae Torry', and a happy new year!

and festive greetings to you too Mark, and thanks for all your interesting and helpful observations from The Ness. All the best for 2011.

Yes, Happy Christmas and New Year to you Mark.

Oh and I might as well include everyone else on this thread too.

D

Really quite cold and snowy here in Torry. I braved the elements for a bit today but also did some gull watching from the relative warmth of the flat. There are very large numbers of gulls in the harbour at the moment, and there's certainly been a big influx since Thursday. The Glonk was again about in the usual area, and I managed quite a few pictures of it down by the quayside. There's been a suggestion elsewhere on BF that this might be a hybrid but I'm not really seeing it myself. If it is a hybrid then I have no idea how you would identify a pure Glaucous Gull. Anyway, I know she's pure and so, of course, is our relationship.

I briefly saw the 'interesting dark gull' but didn't get good views. I also saw a few other argentatus type things around the harbour, some of which looked a bit similar but were generally much bigger looking. Jane Reid told me she'd seen a Glaucous Gull on the breakwater, which perhaps suggests there's more than one about. It'll be worth having a good look through the gulls tomorrow I reckon.

One or two 'hard weather' birds were about. Seven Linnets were visiting gardens on Abbey Road and a Fieldfare and Woodcock were near the allotments. Otherwise it was a bit quiet around the Ness, although I didn't have the time to have a look around Nigg Bay, where I suspect the best birding might be at the moment.

Here are some Glonk and river ice shots for your viewing pleasure. You can look but you can't touch.

Attachments

• Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210c.jpg
    Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210c.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210f.jpg
    Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210f.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210i.jpg
    Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210i.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210h.jpg
    Glaucous_Gull_Torry_181210h.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Dee_181210a.jpg
    Dee_181210a.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 77
I took a photo of Mme Glonk earlier in the week, whilst hoping to photograph the "dark interesting gull".
However, by the time I got to Torry it really was dark outside, so the photograph may not help much to confirm identification, but here it is.
3:)
Merry Xmas everyone.

Attachments

• Mme Glonk.JPG
    Mme Glonk.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 78
Nice shot Alec, and festive greetings to you too.

Here're a few more pictures from today.
1. Fieldfare
2-5. It's all a bit snowy

Attachments

• Fieldfare_Girdle_Ness_181210a.jpg
    Fieldfare_Girdle_Ness_181210a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Nigg_Bay_181210a.jpg
    Nigg_Bay_181210a.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Nigg_Bay_181210b.jpg
    Nigg_Bay_181210b.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Girdle_Ness_181210a.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_181210a.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Girdle_Ness_181210b.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_181210b.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 85
A bit warmer today, but with regular flurries of snow flowing in off the sea. Still loads of gulls around the harbour, although I didn't see the Glaucous Gull until the afternoon when it briefly drifted over the warehouses. I also saw the 'interesting dark gull' again. It looks increasingly manky, which might be a factor in why it looks quite small. The feathers seem unusually abraded for the time of year and it looks to have some odd dark patches on the underwing, as if it's oiled slightly.

Two Fieldfares were in the garden and two Mistle Thrushes along Abbey Road this morning. Three Linnets were in the allotments. Not too much else of a 'hard weather' persuasion was around. Four Common Snipe were along the ditch in Nigg Bay but otherwise it was quiet around there. One Red-throated Diver and a juvenile Gannet were out to sea. A Kestrel was searching for food in the snow near the Battery and a Common Buzzard was bothering the gulls at Greg Ness.

Several hundred Common Gulls were in Nigg Bay and, as I walked along the road nearby, these all came up off the water as one. Looking around I noticed a juvenile skua was ploughing into them. It continued to do a circuit of the bay before drifting off to the south. I'm happy this was a juvenile Pomarine Skua - a bit of a pale one, but quite a bit bigger than the gulls and with a real 'pot belly'. I wonder if it's the same bird that Mark saw earlier in the week. It's not too unusual for these late skuas to linger around.

The day ended with a slightly unexpected patch tick. I was heading into town and had a quick look from the Victoria Bridge and noticed a Little Grebe along the edge of the river just a few metres downstream of the bridge. I've seen them much further up the river a few times but never so close to the sea.

There were some good photographic opportunities around the Ness.

Attachments

• Girdle_Ness_191210a.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_191210a.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Girdle_Ness_191210b.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_191210b.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Girdle_Ness_191210c.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_191210c.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Girdle_Ness_191210d.jpg
    Girdle_Ness_191210d.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Coo_191210a.jpg
    Coo_191210a.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 83
A bit warmer today, but with regular flurries of snow flowing in off the sea. Still loads of gulls around the harbour, although I didn't see the Glaucous Gull until the afternoon when it briefly drifted over the warehouses. I also saw the 'interesting dark gull' again. It looks increasingly manky, which might be a factor in why it looks quite small. The feathers seem unusually abraded for the time of year and it looks to have some odd dark patches on the underwing, as if it's oiled slightly.

Two Fieldfares were in the garden and two Mistle Thrushes along Abbey Road this morning. Three Linnets were in the allotments. Not too much else of a 'hard weather' persuasion was around. Four Common Snipe were along the ditch in Nigg Bay but otherwise it was quiet around there. One Red-throated Diver and a juvenile Gannet were out to sea. A Kestrel was searching for food in the snow near the Battery and a Common Buzzard was bothering the gulls at Greg Ness.

Several hundred Common Gulls were in Nigg Bay and, as I walked along the road nearby, these all came up off the water as one. Looking around I noticed a juvenile skua was ploughing into them. It continued to do a circuit of the bay before drifting off to the south. I'm happy this was a juvenile Pomarine Skua - a bit of a pale one, but quite a bit bigger than the gulls and with a real 'pot belly'. I wonder if it's the same bird that Mark saw earlier in the week. It's not too unusual for these late skuas to linger around.

The day ended with a slightly unexpected patch tick. I was heading into town and had a quick look from the Victoria Bridge and noticed a Little Grebe along the edge of the river just a few metres downstream of the bridge. I've seen them much further up the river a few times but never so close to the sea.

There were some good photographic opportunities around the Ness.

Hi Andrew,

Well done on the Pom Skua, a great bird considering how late it is :t:. Will be interesting to hear if it is seen again - if so I will maybe have a go for it myself. Also congratulations on the Little Grebe, never had one in the Ness area myself, and some very nice shots of the Glauc.

All the Best,

Joseph

Not a great deal of interest yesterday round the Ness. A few Lapwings and the big flock of Common Gulls in Nigg Bay. The gulls all flew up at one point but I couldn't see the cause of the disturbance. It was bitingly cold but beautifully sunny.

However, in keeping with the regular reporting of wierd and wonderful sights and strange goings-on at Girdleness, here is a photo of something quite bizarre on the beach at Nigg Bay.

In view of Council cutbacks, the venue for this year's Office Party has been changed. The idea was not well supported.

Attachments

• _MG_1314.jpg
    _MG_1314.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 111
However, in keeping with the regular reporting of wierd and wonderful sights and strange goings-on at Girdleness, here is a photo of something quite bizarre on the beach at Nigg Bay.

In view of Council cutbacks, the venue for this year's Office Party has been changed. The idea was not well supported.

Although I am Council Employee and a Torry Loon,I can guarantee,its not me in the photo Ken..! ;)

Season's Greetings

Compliments of the Season to the Torry Gang from sunny South Africa. Might come as a surprise, but I would kill to see some snow again.

Keep up the good work - I really enjoy your contributions.
Dave

Strange Encounter

Sorry to move from the bird theme but I had an encounter with a Fox last night at 10pm,on Balnagask Road/Farquhar Road.It quite happily gave me a body swerve and continued to walk down Balnagask Road (a main road in Torry) and then head in the direction of the Mound,on North Balnagask Road.

I have seen them on the edges of The Ness and Gramps but never in the built up areas of Torry.Despite the recent cold snap,it looked in good condition.

Back in Torry for the final day of 2010. It was 'out like a lamb' as far as weather goes: quite mild and pleasant. I'm pleased to say that the Glonk has stayed loyal and was maintaining its usual rooftop vigil this afternoon. The best bird around the Ness was a Tufted Duck flying up the river. Also around the harbour mouth were a Goosander, a Harbour Porpoise and a Knot on the North Pier. A Common Scoter was with the Eiders off the Coo.

I've had rather a good year birding in Torry - 139 species in all, if my sums are correct. That's probably the best I've ever managed. Let's hope 2011 is even better. Happy New Year to all 'Birds fae Torry' fans.

The first day of the year didn't produce a huge number of species, but it was still very good from a patch year list perspective. I managed four species that are not at all guaranteed in a year, and one of them was a mighty patch tick. It doesn't get a lot better than that does it. Okay, maybe it does, but it was still quite nice all the same.

It took a while for the Glonk to surface - maybe a late night last night - but eventually it was back in the usual area. Good that we could renew our acquaintance in 2011. The weather was much colder than yesterday with a nasty northerly breeze and occasional sleet showers. It was definitely winter again. Another patch goody was sheltering in the allotments: a female Pheasant huddled under one of the bird feeders. Better was to come on the harbour. In amongst a flock of Eiders just off Footdee was no less a bird than a drake Pochard. Smashing - a patch tick for me and not one that gets recorded here very often at all.

The rest of the walk around was fairly quiet. A Sparrowhawk, proabably a male, dashed over the harbour and eight Linnets were on the allotments. Another very good local bird was in Nigg Bay though: a Great-crested Grebe lurking on the edge of the roosting flock of Common Gulls.

1. Pheasant, looking a bit cold
2. Pochard, showing all the key features. It's the one on the right, in case you're not sure.

Attachments

• Pheasant_Girdle_Ness_010111a.jpg
    Pheasant_Girdle_Ness_010111a.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Pochard_Girdle_Ness_010111a.jpg
    Pochard_Girdle_Ness_010111a.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 101
Another rather raw and gloomy day here in Torry. The Glonk duly appeared late in the morning to sit on its usual rooftop. A drake Goosander was on the Dee and two or three Bottlenose Dolphins were in action. There was no sign of yesterday's Pochard but the Pheasant was in exactly the same place in the allotments, sheltering underneath a feeder. I suppose it's fairly easily twitchable, if anyone's interested. Importantly, we saw some movement on the All New 2011 Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

What a cracking start to the year! Thanks to everyone for digging deep. Three Common Scoters were amongst the Eiders in Greyhope Bay and another flew north. Also on their way north were a Red-throated Diver and a drake Long-tailed Duck. Two more Red-throated Divers were on Nigg Bay, where there were also single Goosander and Red-breasted Merganser. The Great-crested Grebe was also still around. A Ringed Plover was on the beach and three Roe Deer were rather nonchalantly grazing the football pitches.

And here they are, being nonchalant.

Attachments

• Roe_Deer_Girdle_Ness_020111a.jpg
    Roe_Deer_Girdle_Ness_020111a.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Roe_Deer_Girdle_Ness_020111b.jpg
    Roe_Deer_Girdle_Ness_020111b.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 65
I think the deer in the second pic looks far from nonchalant. Startled would be more accurate. Perhaps he's wondering how the heck the paparazzi tracked him down again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back