• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Zambia July 2007 (1 Viewer)

scodger

Hi All

Going on a family safari holiday in July 2007 to Zambia ( mainly Flatdogs Camp, South Luengwa and Vic Falls ). Dont want to take much baggage so can anyone recommend one birding field guide, one mammal guide and comprehensive birdsong CD

Thanks

Scodger

Hi Scodger

The SASOL 'Birds of Southern Africa' Sinclair/Hockey/Tarboton has served me well on trips to S Africa and Zambia. I took 'A Fieldguide To Zambian Birds Not Found in S Africa' Aspinwall/Beel along with the SASOL when visiting Zambia, but to be honest made little use of it. As for mammals I think the 'Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals' Jonathan Kingdon takes some beating. Covers the whole of Africa and is very informative. Useful for when you return to another part of Africa! No idea about CDs although I know there are some really good ones. I remember enquiring about them myself on return from one of my trips. The sounds of Africa stay with me always.

Enjoy the trip

Just noticed in the Wildsounds brochure they have the Gibson CDs for £49.95. It costs R350 (about £30) in South Africa. I got a friend in SA to buy it for me and post it.

ref zambia

Hi Brian

Tks for that, appreciated

Scodger

brianfm said:
Hi Scodger

The SASOL 'Birds of Southern Africa' Sinclair/Hockey/Tarboton has served me well on trips to S Africa and Zambia. I took 'A Fieldguide To Zambian Birds Not Found in S Africa' Aspinwall/Beel along with the SASOL when visiting Zambia, but to be honest made little use of it. As for mammals I think the 'Kingdon Field Guide to African Mammals' Jonathan Kingdon takes some beating. Covers the whole of Africa and is very informative. Useful for when you return to another part of Africa! No idea about CDs although I know there are some really good ones. I remember enquiring about them myself on return from one of my trips. The sounds of Africa stay with me always.

Enjoy the trip

Scodger

Don't know if you're still keeping an eye on this, but if you've got room in your luggage for another book I was given the SASOL Southern Africa Birdfinder guide for Christmas. Haven't had the chance to try it out yet (I'll have to wait until October for that) but the Zambia section seems pretty good and has specific entries for Victoria Falls and South Luangwa - some decent photos too.

We're visiting the Victoria Falls area for a few nights so if you have any up to date info when you return, I'd be interested. I can be reached via e-mail from the signature below.

Cheers

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back